Motorola Moto G Google Play Edition?

Guest h@mster81

The Google Play edition Moto G like others eschews some software features in favor of an entirely Google-derived experience. Motorola arguably has the closest to stock implementation of Android right now, but if you want something even more of an expression of Google's vision, the Google Play edition Moto G probably makes sense. Pricing for the Moto G is what you'd expect – $179 for the 8GB version and $199 for the 16GB version. There's only one hardware version, essentially the UK GSM version with quad band GSM/EDGE and quad band single carrier HSPA+ on 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz. The handset will work on AT&T in the US and T-Mobile in markets that have WCDMA running on 1900 MHz (essentially markets that have T-Mobile LTE).

haha i will just take the factory images from the GPE version when released and flash on my standard moto G...

one thing is for sure now then... this phone will be officially updated to at least another 3 versions of android

Guest Nuno Ferreira

haha i will just take the factory images from the GPE version when released and flash on my standard moto G...

one thing is for sure now then... this phone will be officially updated to at least another 3 versions of android

Tick tack :-)

Guest Simon O

OK from what I know so far, these are the differences:

Moto G Google Edition has an unlockable bootloader that doesn't void warranty (even though in the EU you still have a valid warranty regardless of what Motorola say)
The phone will come with the Google Experience Launcher and hangouts as the SMS app. The original messaging application will not be available.

The device will possibly use the nexus 5 style phone dialer (need to confirm this).

Updates should in theory be quicker but they will still be produced by Motorola since this is not a Nexus device.

No Motorola apps will be provided.

Anyone with a normal Moto G won't notice much difference and may have a better experience if you dislike using hangouts for sms or dislike the google experience launcher.

For those that want to, it's very easy to add the google experience launcher to your phone and even install the google experience device wallpaper too. Then you'll basically have the same phone lol.

Oh and I'll put money on Motorola continuing to provide updates for the retail and operator Moto Gs as long as they update the Google edition. The ROM is stock anyway so they don't have any reason not to do it. Also the google editions are US only :)

Oh and I'll put money on Motorola continuing to provide updates for the retail and operator Moto Gs as long as they update the Google edition. The ROM is stock anyway so they don't have any reason not to do it. Also the google editions are US only :)

Yes I think that's the best bit of news.

It would be nice to get some sort of official statement about further updates to the Moto G. I'm reasonably confident we'll get a few more now.

Guest cucciolo

OK from what I know so far, these are the differences:

Moto G Google Edition has an unlockable bootloader that doesn't void warranty (even though in the EU you still have a valid warranty regardless of what Motorola say)

The phone will come with the Google Experience Launcher and hangouts as the SMS app. The original messaging application will not be available.

The device will possibly use the nexus 5 style phone dialer (need to confirm this).

Updates should in theory be quicker but they will still be produced by Motorola since this is not a Nexus device.

No Motorola apps will be provided.

Anyone with a normal Moto G won't notice much difference and may have a better experience if you dislike using hangouts for sms or dislike the google experience launcher.

For those that want to, it's very easy to add the google experience launcher to your phone and even install the google experience device wallpaper too. Then you'll basically have the same phone lol.

Hi sorry for question and for english, i am italian, so question is: if i will to install this gpe rom on my moto g, also bootloader will be unblockable and blockable easy like on nexus devices without warranty stuff and problem? Or also in this case there will be a fuse about bootloader status?

Thank you

Guest Simon O

Hi sorry for question and for english, i am italian, so question is: if i will to install this gpe rom on my moto g, also bootloader will be unblockable and blockable easy like on nexus devices without warranty stuff and problem? Or also in this case there will be a fuse about bootloader status?

Thank you

Installing the google edition rom onto the phone won't magically make the bootloader like the Nexus devices. You'll have to unlock it through the Motorola website as normal.

Guest cucciolo

Installing the google edition rom onto the phone won't magically make the bootloader like the Nexus devices. You'll have to unlock it through the Motorola website as normal.

So the hardware between 2 phones will be different, like bootloader ?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49471092&postcount=57

Edited by cucciolo

So the hardware between 2 phones will be different, like bootloader ?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49471092&postcount=57

no, the hardware will be the same

but you serial number for you phone wont show that its a developer edition so they will still know if you talking about warranty...

anyway regardless of what Motorola say you are still covered, unless they can prove unlocking the bootloader broke your phone   

Guest cucciolo

no, the hardware will be the same

but you serial number for you phone wont show that its a developer edition so they will still know if you talking about warranty...

anyway regardless of what Motorola say you are still covered, unless they can prove unlocking the bootloader broke your phone

Ok. But i still have not figured out if flashing a gpe rom on our g we can unlock and relock in easy way like on nexus devices. Can you explain me this well? Thanks