Secret buttons below screen

Guest geodan

Hi there,

This may sound crazy, but i think the capacitive buttons, that were below the screen on the prototype device, are stiil there ( see the pc attached ). I think is the same thing like the HTC did with their HTC One logo "button". The HTC devs made it possible by modifying the kernel. 

How i "discover" that? Simply press the home button on the screen and drag your finger gently below the edge of the screen and you'll see that the home button is still pressed.

Let me know that this is happened to you too?!

I don't have any free time to try to see what codes/lines are in the kernel that could possibly turn that buttons on.

Thanks!

post-1001215-0-69871300-1390910617_thumb

Guest execpwd

Hi there,

This may sound crazy, but i think the capacitive buttons, that were below the screen on the prototype device, are stiil there ( see the pc attached ). I think is the same thing like the HTC did with their HTC One logo "button". The HTC devs made it possible by modifying the kernel. 

How i "discover" that? Simply press the home button on the screen and drag your finger gently below the edge of the screen and you'll see that the home button is still pressed.

Let me know that this is happened to you too?!

I don't have any free time to try to see what codes/lines are in the kernel that could possibly turn that buttons on.

Thanks!

Jeez ! I press the home button and I drag my thumb over the ACER logo , and the button is still pressed ... If this isn't some kind of temperature dispersion, it means it has some crazy sensor down there ...

yes, that's interresting. I'd like to get those capacitive button back (although I do not miss them as much now that I use pie control and have removed software buttons). I wonder if the backlight leds are still there too, and they only have stopped etching the button logos and replaced it by "acer". That would make a great notification area, I miss notification leds :-) would be a great hardware hack to get the buttons and led backlight back :-)

Thank you for your feed-back ,execpwd and gkai. 

Execpwd, I don't think is related to the temperature...maybe i'm wrong.

Gkai, that will be nice. Sincerely, i prefer having capacitive buttons insted of pie control. :)

Edited by geodan

Guest execpwd

The black paint isn't cut into form of buttons , that's sure.The fact that the 'acer' logo is white + 4 leds under it would make some great ' tuning ' ! Imagine it blinking in dark when a message arrives ! 

@gkai , can you tell me what pie control are you using and what software to hide the navbar ?

Thank you very much , and really interesting thing you found , geodan... I didn't notice this until now ...

Also : Things thing may be true , because if you didn't notice until now , the bottom part of the phone ( The part with the acer logo ) is bigger than the one on top of it ( the part with the camera and light sensors ) ... It would be freaking awesome to also have some leds in there ... 

Edited by execpwd

The black paint isn't cut into form of buttons , that's sure.The fact that the 'acer' logo is white + 4 leds under it would make some great ' tuning ' ! Imagine it blinking in dark when a message arrives ! 

@gkai , can you tell me what pie control are you using and what software to hide the navbar ?

Thank you very much , and really interesting thing you found , geodan... I didn't notice this until now ...

Also : Things thing may be true , because if you didn't notice until now , the bottom part of the phone ( The part with the acer logo ) is bigger than the one on top of it ( the part with the camera and light sensors ) ... It would be freaking awesome to also have some leds in there ... 

Pie control from the xda dev thread, but I think there are other possible choice using Xposed for example. Never tried the other as the apk from XDA work well from me.

For removing the soft button, I have manually edited /system/build.prop, adding   qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 at the end of the file and reboot. Again, I think there are other way to do it but this one require 0 additional software install. Just make sure your alternative control (pie or ther) work before doing it, else u will find that using the phone without soft buttons is quite hard ;-)

BTW, on my S500 the acer logo is not really white, it is more like silver metallic paint. Not sure it is transparent even if the leds are still there. So if leds are still there and kernel still can light them, some paint scratching mod may be needed. It would be nice to have S500 disassembly pictures, but not sure it is available...

Guest execpwd

Pie control from the xda dev thread, but I think there are other possible choice using Xposed for example. Never tried the other as the apk from XDA work well from me.

For removing the soft button, I have manually edited /system/build.prop, adding qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 at the end of the file and reboot. Again, I think there are other way to do it but this one require 0 additional software install. Just make sure your alternative control (pie or ther) work before doing it, else u will find that using the phone without soft buttons is quite hard ;-)

BTW, on my S500 the acer logo is not really white, it is more like silver metallic paint. Not sure it is transparent even if the leds are still there. So if leds are still there and kernel still can light them, some paint scratching mod may be needed. It would be nice to have S500 disassembly pictures, but not sure it is available...

So you are using LMT from xda? Can you give me a link please? Also, I use Auti Hide Soft Keys to hide the nav-bar. And yes, the acer logo is silver...

<Offtopic>You can use xposed + gravitybox for hiding navbar and pie controls; works great; plus 200 other nifty tweaks :-). Does it show I am a fan ?</offtopic>

Would indeed be a very nice hardware tweak to have capacitive buttons :-)

Or a notification LED :-)))

So you are using LMT from xda? Can you give me a link please? Also, I use Auti Hide Soft Keys to hide the nav-bar. And yes, the acer logo is silver...

here it is

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1330150

meanwhile I checked the service manual of S500, which show low-res pics of the PCB. I can not see leds there, except if they are on the right side and used a kind of lightguide design to light up all buttons. The light guide is (probably) gone (it may be integrated in the loudspeaker part that make the bottom of the S500), but if the leds are still there some kind of hack is probably possible. Kernel would probably need modification though to control eds, even if they still are on the PCB...

Guest Spacecaker

try to mess with "echo 255> /sys/class/backlight/" files and such 

becarefull though

i used this method to figure out wich class was for Backlight keys on galaxy ace a long long time ago .

try to mess with "echo 255> /sys/class/backlight/" files and such 

becarefull though

i used this method to figure out wich class was for Backlight keys on galaxy ace a long long time ago .

It seems it is now in  sys/class/leds/

there is an lcd-backlight directory which work, but on phones with button backlight there is a button-backlight with similar structure that is lacking on the s500 (at least with reca/stock kernel. )

So, as expected, no support for button leds in the kernel...Leds may be present (I think the chance is small), but they would not be controllable anyway...

Guest execpwd

It seems it is now in sys/class/leds/

there is an lcd-backlight directory which work, but on phones with button backlight there is a button-backlight with similar structure that is lacking on the s500 (at least with reca/stock kernel. )

So, as expected, no support for button leds in the kernel...Leds may be present (I think the chance is small), but they would not be controllable anyway...

Ok. What about the sensitive panel? Is it there?

For removing the soft button, I have manually edited /system/build.prop, adding   qemu.hw.mainkeys=1 at the end of the file and reboot. Again, I think there are other way to do it but this one require 0 additional software install. Just make sure your alternative control (pie or ther) work before doing it, else u will find that using the phone without soft buttons is quite hard ;-)

Here it is ...but checking the SG, it seems there's any HW under the bottom part of the cover... I'm afraid it was included only in the prototype above :(

post-202919-0-98225500-1390987603_thumb.

post-202919-0-51109500-1390987611_thumb.

Here it is ...but checking the SG, it seems there's any HW under the bottom part of the cover... I'm afraid it was included only in the prototype above :(

well, the small stuff on the left could - barely - be leds. Probably not, but I was not able to find any pics clear enough to be sure. Best way would be to look directly in my s500, but i would need to unscrew the plastic cover to get there...

Hi there,

Isn't this the normal Android behavior? My Nexus 7 does exactly the same. Edited by A427

Guest execpwd

Isn't this the normal Android behavior? My Nexus 7 does exactly the same.

My nexus 7 does this too, but the drag area isn't as big as the Acer 's one... I still tend to believe it's all about temperature dispersion and maybe something implemented by Android developers.