Installing gbxtreme from stock GB 2.3.6 (Baseband 109808)

Guest el_santo

Guest el_santo

Hi all!

I have a g300 with stock gb 2.3.6 (Baseband 109808, no CWM or TWRP installed) and want to try gbxtreme rom (stock GB based).

I've seen several threads and the guide for "5 yeas old people" showing how to install CWM and custom roms, but they upgrade to ICS (baseband 2030) in the process.

Since gbxtreme works better with 109809, i would prefer to install directly without having to change baseband and avoiding the bootloader unlock process too.

I have hynix memory.

Is there a safe way to install CWM directly from stock GB2.3.6 and then install gbxtreme

Thank you very much

Guest el_santo

Sure.. the problem is that the recent guides to install cwm are for devices upgraded to ICS.

what is the latest safe CWM for GB and hynix memory? any guide to install that?

Regards and thank you.

Guest dalyer

You need to root and install CWM before installing a custom ROM.

Since you are coming from stock GB you don't need to unlock the bootloader.

You can use the "explained like you're 5" tutorial to do the rooting and intallation of an old version of CWM - BUT SKIP THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCK BIT!

There are other ways to root and install CWM documented elsewhere too.

Hope this helps.

Guest el_santo

You need to root and install CWM before installing a custom ROM.

Since you are coming from stock GB you don't need to unlock the bootloader.

You can use the "explained like you're 5" tutorial to do the rooting and intallation of an old version of CWM - BUT SKIP THE BOOTLOADER UNLOCK BIT!

There are other ways to root and install CWM documented elsewhere too.

Hope this helps.

in that tutorial you must upgrade baseband to 2030 before installing CWM.

Guest dalyer

in that tutorial you must upgrade baseband to 2030 before installing CWM.

I don't think that this is necessary.

But maybe I'm wrong.

If so then just use one of the other methods to root and install CWM and ignore that "explained like you're 5" tutorial altogether.

E.g.

Root:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/353386-how-to-root-your-huawei-ascend-g300-for-windows-mac-and-linux/

CWM:

There are a few threads/posts with instructions on how to "bootstrap" CWM for the first time using the CWM img file (not the CWM installable zip file!) and adb.

Edited by dalyer

Guest kyan31

You don't need to unlock the bootloader or upgrade baseband if your planning to stay on a 109808BB ROM. Just get a compatible recovery and flash.

Guest el_santo

Thank you all.

I finally ignored the "explained like you're 5" tutorial because in that guide the phone is upgraded to 2030 baseband before installing CWM. That make sense because the goal of that guide is to upgrade to ICS/JB. Not my case.

So, following your advices i tooked another route. First, to root the phone i've followed the PaulOBrien thread:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/353386-how-to-root-your-huawei-ascend-g300-for-windows-mac-and-linux/

That part worked perfectly.

The CWM was harder because having 109808 baseband i needed a old CWM.

I followed the "Help! I'm new and I cand do..." thread (http://www.modaco.com/topic/353860-help-im-new-and-i-cant-do/), starting at step 3.

The problem was that the link for Easy CWM Recovery Installer from step 3a is broken. 20 pages later in that same thread there is a working link (http://www.putlocker.com/file/5C58272EBA80A95F). I flashed recovery with that file and that installed CWM 4.0.1.5. From that i could install gbxtreme. Nice rom, kyan31, thanks!

Thank you all for your help.

Having 109808 baseband and hynix memory i'm not sure what is the latest safe CWM for me. The other CWM theads i founded were about CWM 6 or 5. This one CWM 4.0.1.5 worked well.

Maybe the first post of "Help! I'm new and cant do" thread could be updated with a working link or a md5sum of the img file to check other links..

Regards and thank you.

Guest dalyer

Having 109808 baseband and hynix memory i'm not sure what is the latest safe CWM for me. The other CWM theads i founded were about CWM 6 or 5. This one CWM 4.0.1.5 worked well.

I think anything without the 3.4 kernel is considered OK for Hynix.

Some of the threads here are out of date and superseded by information that came to light subsequently (e.g. unofficial versus official bootloader unlocking).

It would be good if these threads/tutorials could be corrected or retracted but unfortunately they are not always still maintained by the relevant authors so they remain and can mislead some people sometimes...

Glad you got sorted though. :D