[T] button removal

Guest flurry

Guest flurry

Hi all, I'm currently using the modaco xposed module to remove the [T] button, however when viewing an image fullscreen or using an app that fades the navigation icons to dots the dot for the [T] button is visible. The non existent [T] also seems to affect the layout of extra buttons on the navigation bar (added from gravitybox) - pushing things off centre as if it still existed.

Does the same happen with the patched System image available from this forum?

Guest flurry

I'm using Helios ROM and that has no T button or issues as you described.

It was posted about on this forum previously or you can find it here .. http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8619-Helios-ROM-v1-0-Tesco-Hudl

Does this use the same SystemUI.apk modified by Paul O'Brien on this site? I've already de-bloated and got everything the way I like it, so I'm not massively inclined to wipe and start again with a completely new rom if I can avoid it. Are there any performance benefits to the helios rom?

Does this use the same SystemUI.apk modified by Paul O'Brien on this site? I've already de-bloated and got everything the way I like it, so I'm not massively inclined to wipe and start again with a completely new rom if I can avoid it. Are there any performance benefits to the helios rom?

Sorry I can't help you there, I never looked at Paul's ROM, I just went straight from stock to Helios as it included rooting and cwm in one package. You could ask around the Freaktab forum and see if you get any response.

Guest flurry

Thanks for your help!

Having just tried the modified SystemUI.apk found here I still get the phantom dots in immersive mode. It's easily reproducable by opening an image in the gallery app, zooming so it's larger than the screen and waiting for the buttons to fade to immersive mode. Here's a screenshot to clarify what I mean!

I'm going to try pulling the SystemUI.apk out of the Helios rom next to see if that helps

Edited by flurry

Guest flurry

I'm hitting a dead end trying to unpack the Helios system.img - unyaffs says there's a segmentation fault and the windows software I use to mount the stock hudl images isn't touching it either, saying the format is unknown. Any ideas how to unpack it?

Guest flurry

okay, now unpacked the Helios rom's system.img - the SystemUI.apk is exactly the same as Paul O'Brien's modded SystemUI.apk file from this site as far as I can tell - file sizes match and they produce identical MD5 hashes.

Would there be anything else in the Helios rom responsible for this?

Edit: by the way it seems to vary between whether the phantom immersive dot appears in landscape or portrait between the modded systemui.apk and the modaco xposed module.

Edited by flurry

Guest flurry

I'm aware this is a slightly one sided conversation, but I have now created my own version of the SystemUI.apk which:

- has no T button in landscape or portrait

- has no immersive dots for the T button in landscape or portrait

- has centred immersive dots for the main three nav buttons (unlike Tesco's original SystemUI.apk where all the dots were off slightly to the right)

- doesn't move the nav buttons to the left when using Gravitybox's text entry cursor arrow option (again, unlike the original Tesco version!)

- seems stable for me; I've had no freezes or "unfortunately SystemUI has stopped" messages yet!

Would anyone be interested in me providing my modified file? If so, how would I go about this? Obviously I can't guarantee it will be entirely safe, but it has been totally stable for me so far! (and I can confirm it's possible to replace the systemui.apk file via adb with it crashing!)

• 1 month later...

Just in case someone is reading this and thinks I'll do that - for those that aren't aware - this sort of change will most likely stop your hudl from successfully upgrading via OTA upgrades.

I'm not sayng don't make changes (I've made loads :wacko: ), just be prepared for the potential extra work / troubleshooting hoops you may have to jump through when accepting OTA upgrades.  :ninja:

Guest flurry

Just in case someone is reading this and thinks I'll do that - for those that aren't aware - this sort of change will most likely stop your hudl from successfully upgrading via OTA upgrades.

I'm not sayng don't make changes (I've made loads :wacko: ), just be prepared for the potential extra work / troubleshooting hoops you may have to jump through when accepting OTA upgrades.  :ninja:

Indeed, you'll almost certainly have to put the original SystemUI.apk back for the OTA updates to work

Guest Detection

here's the original v1.3 SystemUI.apk incase anyone needs it

Thanks, I was about to request that - need it to run this update, it fails with the modded one

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cpome7

Hello all. I've just bought a refurbed Hudl from Tesco's eBay outlet (yes, I am a total tight arse). The thing looks brand new to my eyes and seems to be build JDQ39.20140424.153851 out of the box.

Anyway, I've successfully rooted it (with Kingo) and would really like to remove the scandalous [ T ] button. Am I right in thinking I need a specific SystemUI.apk for this?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Edited by cpome7

Guest flurry

Hi cpome7, although my modified version of the SystemUI.apk was based on a previous build, there was almost no difference between the previous build version and the latest version (from memory I think it was a single byte, which could be explained by something as small as Tesco updating the version number of the apk). I've been using my modified SystemUI.apk on the same build number that you're on since I updated a few weeks ago and I've experienced no problems at all. Had Tesco changed the SystemUI.apk susbtantially in the update then your thinking would be right!

If anyone experiences problems then I can modify the new SystemUI.apk in the same way that I altered the previous one, though as yet I've not found it neccessary.

Guest cpome7

Flurry

Thanks for the rapid response. 

After posting last night I installed the Modaco Toolkit and removed the [T] with it. I now just have those irritating dots you have mentioned.

My plan is to uninstall the Toolkit and use your SystemUI.apk. Any chance you could point me at the idiot-proof guide to doing this?

Many thanks (again)

Mike

Guest flurry

Being an idiot myself, idiot proof things are my speciality!

1. You'll need ADB installed on your computer for this (there are plenty of guides online, or ask here if you get stuck)
  2. Down load the modified version of the SystemUI.apk - save it somewhere easily accessible on your computer
  3. Your hudl must be rooted (already done in your case)
  4. The hudl needs usb debugging enabled, this is an option in the developer section of the system settings (if the developer section isn't visible, go into the about tablet section and tap half a dozen times on the build number, this should unlock it. Better explanation here
  5. With adb installed on the computer and usb debugging enabled on the hudl connect the hudl via usb to the computer
  6. Open a new terminal/command line and type adb devices and hit enter - this should return some kind of device ID if the hudl is correctly connected
  7. I'm not entirely sure about how windows command line works, but navigate to the directory that your new SystemUI.apk file is in
  8. enter adb pull /system/app/SystemUI.apk SystemUI.backup.apk into the command line and hit return - this should pull the stock SystemUI.apk from the hudl's system/app folder to the current directory on your computer, renaming it to SystemUI.backup.apk in the process - useful if things go wrong, though I've also uploaded the stock image too
  9. enter adb push SystemUI.apk /sdcard/SystemUI.apk into the command line and hit return - this copies the downloaded modified version of the SystemUI.apk from your computer to the internal memory of the hudl
  10. enter adb shell into the command line and hit return - this allows us to control the hudl from the computer
  11. enter su into the command line and hit enter - this gives us superuser access to the hudl
  12. enter stop into the command line and hit enter
  13. enter mount -o remount,rw /system into the command line and hit enter - this remounts the hudl's system partition with read and write access, so we can write the new SystemUI.apk to it
  14. enter cp /sdcard/SystemUI.apk /system/app/SystemUI.apk into the command line and hit enter - this copies the new SystemUI.apk from the hudl's storage (where we copied it to from the computer) to the system app folder on the hudl - replacing the stock one
  15. enter chmod 644 /system/app/SystemUI.apk into the command line and hit enter - this gives the the SystemUI.apk the correct system app permissions
  16. enter reboot into the command line and hit enter - the hudl should reboot and you're all done
Edited by flurry

Guest flurry

Not a problem! Glad it worked for you. If you ever need to revert to the stock SystemUI.apk for any reason then the process is the same, but you push the SystemUI.backup.apk instead, renaming it as you go

• 1 month later...
Guest jonoathome

I can't take credit for the actual steps, I've simply elaborated a bit on Paul O'Brien's original post here

Hi flurry , using your apk after updating the hudl..  it appears the latest gravitybox is causing the same problem you describe in portrait. are you having the same issues ?

Edited by jonoathome

Guest flurry

Hi flurry , using your apk after updating the hudl..  it appears the latest gravitybox is causing the same problem you describe in portrait. are you having the same issues ?

I can't say I'm seeing any problems, I'm using GravityBox 3.2.1 (stable) and have the cursor control keys enabled. When selecting a text box the arrows appear but the back/home/recents buttons don't move left slightly like they used to.

Until recently the custom key in the navigation bar tweaks section of GravityBox used to move the keys slightly too, but no longer does.

Let's rule out a few things:

1.) are you running the latest stable version of GravityBox?

2.) are you running the Modaco xposed module to remove the T button? This may mess with my modified SystemUI

3.) is it just the cursor arrows causing the buttons to move?

4.) do they move left or right?

5.) does disabling cursor arrow keys fix it?

6.) does disabling GravityBox fix it?

7.) are the buttons centered when not entering text?

8.) are the immersive dots centered on the buttons (open an image in the gallery, zoom so it's bigger than the screen and wait a few seconds and the buttons should fade to little dots)

9.) are you running any other tweaks on the navbar?

If you could answer the above it should help me narrow down what's going on :)

Edited by flurry