MMW 65 - Has James found a keeper?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

James (@nortools) and I are proud to present the MoDaCo Mobile Week 65 - Has James found a keeper?...

...sharing our views about the news in this week's mobile world!

In this weeks ~1 hour edition, converted from our live MoDaCo Mobile Week On Air broadcast, we're talking about...

• Moments
  • More M8 thoughts from James
  • Windows Phone 8.1
  • Lumia 930 and 630 and 635
  • Nokia X - James’ thoughts
  • Amazon FireTV
  • When do you want to watch us? What day and what time?
...as well as our usual tangents and questions submitted live!

You can get the podcast in the following ways:

• Direct download from the downloads section of the site
  • Via iTunes (search for MoDaCo!)
  • Via RSS with enclosures - simply add the feed to the reader of your choice
Your feedback is really valuable and will tell us whether it is worth our while to continue running the podcasts! Do you listen? What do you like? What do you not like? Please leave your feedback in the comments below, you can also rate us on iTunes!

You can now leave us voicemail messages for us to include in the podcast!

Call us up on 01379 888206 (from inside the UK) or 0044 1379 888206 (from outside the UK) and we'll do our best to include your message / answer your question!

You can listen to this weeks show here...

Or download in MP3 format...

As this podcast was broadcast 'On Air', you can also view the show via YouTube below.

Click here to view the item

Guest Sere83

I think James hit the nail on the head there when he talked about the M8 and iphone distinction, and it is something that I have been saying for a long time now.

You can talk about screen size, you can talk about pixels, you can talk about build quality and you can talk about software independently. BUT....the fact remains that no android manufacturer on the market in my honest opinion is putting together a COMPLETE PACKAGE that is as rounded as the iPhone. A sad but very true fact.

I've had some time with the M8 and I echo James's sentiments. The build is indeed glorious, easily the best built and best feeling android phone ever, although that unnecessary bottom bezel still jars me. However, in my opinion to drop a camera experience that average, in the market/financial position they are in, in 2014 no less, shows to me misdirected ambition, a fundamental misunderstanding of what people want and perhaps even a lack of expertise. How they omitted OIS is just beyond me.

This brings me back to the initial point. Apples last flagship iPhone 5S, 6 months into its product cycle is still outclassing the android competition when it comes to delivering an ALL ROUND solid performing package. Most of which lets face it hinges on the camera.

The thing that I don't think these android manufacturers understand is that it is all in the small details, something which most of the time apple gets right. HDR mode is a prime example.

I think the Oppo Find 7 may also suffer from camera mediocrity. The Samsung S5 I just don't even care about after that appalling launch, and frankly can't take the company seriously anymore after so many years of middle of the road products, their bottom line always comes first and foremost before anything including making good quality products. It will be the same cheap build, the same gimmicks the same average performance, the same astronomical marketing budgets, the same lack of style.

My real hope for this year is the One Plus One. They are at least saying all the right things and I like the ethos of the company, but as a first generation product I think it will be near impossible for them to deliver a camera experience on par with the iPhone 5S or Lumia 1020 especially at the price point they are quoting. I also think rivaling HTC on build will again be a big ask.

Beyond that Meizu and Xiaomi are still of interest but again I don't think either of them have enough expertise and experience to deliver a world beater in all departments just yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.