4.2.1 Internal storage full, mystery. Help!

Guest invertedgoatie

Guest invertedgoatie
Need some words of wisdom here. My rooted THL W200 has a fat I mean a huge portion of the internal memory crushed by something, no idea what. See screenshot.

I'm so low on internal storage that I can barely do anything. It's crippling my phones basic functionality. Is my OS bloated or what. Is a clean install of 4.2.1 really over 500mb!!! 

So far I have tried wiping the dalvik cache with an app, barely freed anything. Is there anything I can do. Bare in mind that the default recovery is running and it's entirely in chinese so I have no idea how to use it and getting CWM doesn't appear to be too simple on this phone.

Thanks for any help.

Guest Maringer

The first thing to do is move some of the non-system apps to your external SD card (assuming you have space on this). You can do this through the Apps option in the settings. Select the individual app then use the move to SD card option. Moving things like games and other infrequently used apps is a good idea if you have limited storage space.

Also, if you go individually to some of the Apps (via the settings), you'll see that many of them have built up a large-sized cache which is taking up a lot of space. For example, my Gmail app has over 40MB of files in the cache, facebook has over 60MB, Maps over 50MB. Straight away, that is 150MB taken up. I've also got various Angry Birds Apps installed which I haven't played for a while (yeah, it's a vice), and some of them have 20MB or more in the cache.

You can clear the individual app caches without affecting the app adversely and this will free up some space. DO NOT CLEAR THE OTHER APP DATA!

P.S. No screenshot shown!

Edited by Maringer

Guest invertedgoatie

Ok thanks, yes I have moved, chopped and changed everything conceivable, cache, backups, apps to SD etc but my phone is still crammed to the hilt. Is there anything else I can do, does 4.2.1 really take up that much space. I'm assuming that reserved chunk is the O.S.

See

uJI1Yme.png 

Guest Maringer

Hmmm. Certainly seems quite a lot. My phone is stuck on 4.1.2 so I can't really compare the two.

A quick google brings up the following thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/help/huge-inaccessible-data-chunk-internal-t2083107

A Nexus 4 running 4.2.1, but somebody complaining of the same issues. A couple of possible solutions there as well. Good luck!