[KERNEL] [Y300/G510] Stock Huawei

Guest SaurabhRCk

So I tried your last build (the one without 3d performance fix). And it is awesome. I am using it in my cm 11. All problem I was having like shuttering music or screen unlock delay is gone. Tried to play some games like alpha wave(this is a gfx intensive game for some stages) and trial frontier where i used to get sudden reboot in cm 11. Bit now its all good. I will try the latest build when it will be ported to cm 11. I tried to port but went bootloop. So i sm gonna just wait for fonz to port it. Battery is awesome. Gaming, all day 3g, calling ots been over 8 hrs and 76% remaning.

Anyway that was a quick review. Great work.

Edited by SaurabhRCk

Guest thetonyxx

I'm currently working on fixing this *possible 3D performance regression*. The FrameBuffer handling might not be perfectly at the moment.

EDIT: attempted to fix 3D performance...let me know if something changed: http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/42141219/file.html

EDIT2: first tests with AnTuTu show an *noticeable* increased overall score.

(sry, no G330 support re-added yet neither updated the radio drivers)

thanks 
performance 3d AnTuTu have gone up by 15% but sometimes yes and sometimes no
unfortunately fps meter crashed if I use it with RR3 otherwise I would have said too fps before and after
Edited by thetonyxx

Guest Domino2115

I've played dead trigger for 10 minutes, then i wanted to quit it so i pressed home button and systemui got killed, I had to wait some minutes to systemui restart, its problem due to kernel ? post-1030873-14027433345051_thumb.jpg

Hard to answer dude. Let me know when it occurs more often. It sounds like an "out of memory" problem and doesn't have to related to the kernel.

When I updated the lowmemorykiller some commits said, that it can fail killing processes and cause issues like you described.

Guest thetonyxx

no, auto kill sistemUI not depend on the kernel, but how the process is implemented on the rom

for example on Slimstock the process has been made not crashable 
while on fusionx or stock can crash

Guest fonz93

I've played dead trigger for 10 minutes, then i wanted to quit it so i pressed home button and systemui got killed, I had to wait some minutes to systemui restart, its problem due to kernel ? attachicon.gifScreenshot_2014-06-14-12-52-27.png

No, it's an huawei problem, that does not lock SystemUI.apk in memory, you may want to use this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/23n2r6l193sb3c4/Fix+FC+SystemUI+%28Stock%29.zip

Edited by fonz93

Guest fonz93

Thanks, but if i remember i already used it some weeks ago and it didnt help

Is impossible, it works 100%, i did it some months ago and all stock users used it and said that it is working, also no one reported this problem on stock ROM after installing this fix, it locks SystemUI.apk via services.jar, is practically unkillable

Guest H3ROS

Now I start to understand why H3ros wanted that "manage list of unkillable process" so badly blush.png

I did have it at the kernel and ROM level, but I removed it at the ROM level for the time being just to see how effective it is with the kernel controlling it. So far it's been fine, but I guess it depends on how much you overload the memory before it'll panic. It wouldn't be such a problem if the Y300 had 512MB more.

Guest Domino2115

To be honest: Yes. My SystemUI never crashes huh.png

Try play Dead Trigger 2 or any game like that for 10-15 minutes and it will crash

Guest fonz93

SystemUI never crash by me after CM has solved this problem (I use CM11). 

We are talking about a known bug on stock Huawei ROM, the bug on cm11 wasn't related to the RAM management.. it was another type of bug

Edited by fonz93

Guest fonz93

I think if you try some hard game for a long time, it will crash, Phone.apk will crash too. This shouldn't absolutely happen, in fact you can see that is only an Huawei thing.. never saw that before on any android device, com.android.phone and com.android.systemui shouldn't never be killed by the system not even if you have low ram available.

However, this thing can't be solved with the low memory killer, because you only put those processes at the end of the list of killable processes (unfortunately i already tested it at the time of Cextel Kernel and today with H3ROS kernel, it only delays the kill of SystemUI or Phone.apk, but it doesn't make them unkillable), for me the only possible way to make them unkillable is hacking services.jar, but with this way, you can lock in memory only one app between systemUI.apk and Phone.apk, this because i don't know the right smali code to lock 2 apps at the same time. You can check if they are killable or not in settings/application, if they are shown in the processes list, they are killable, indeed, if you try a Cyanogenmod or AOSP or simply you see on another non- Huawei device, those processes are not shown in the process list in settings/application and they are locked and unkillable, sorry for my english, i hope you'll understand.

Edited by fonz93

In the file /cust/weu/xml/hw_defaults.xml Huawei did following settings:

<string apps_set_oomadj="com.android.mms;com.android.contacts;android.process.acore;com.huawei.android.launcher"/>
    <integer oomadj.com.android.mms="3"/>
    <integer oomadj.com.android.contacts="3"/>
    <integer oomadj.android.process.acore="3"/>
    <integer oomadj.com.huawei.android.launcher="1"/>
Maybe this could be a reason for those issues.

I removed those settings for my ROM.

There is another setting in this file

<string apps_set_persistent="com.android.phone;com.android.systemui"/>

Is it missing on some custom ROMs maybe?

It could be add with an SQL editor by editing /data/user/0/com.android.providers.settings/database/settings.db

Edited by Guest

Guest fonz93

I didn't find this line in my hw defaults (i have the other lines), but i already tried to add it manually some hours ago when i saw that "apps_set_persistent" is a string in services.jar to lock app in memory, but it only works in services.jar as a smali code (the way i use to lock SystemUI.apk in memory), it doesn't work in hw_defaults, maybe it needs a wipe data, i don't know, but in theory if this line works:

<string apps_set_oomadj="com.android.mms;com.android.contacts;android.process.acore;com.huawei.android.launcher"/>.

this should work too: 

i am going to try a full wipe and add this line in the hw_defaults, if it doesn't work, it needs another line after that

Edited by fonz93

Those settings only get add after you reset your device to factory defaults. If you don't want to reset it you need to edit the SQL database and add the missing entry.

Guest fonz93

YESS! After a wipe data, it works perfectly, this is a very nice thing, we don't need anymore to modify services.jar or low memory killer :), all can be done via hw_defaults

This is how it should be, they can't be seen as they are unkillable

post-1023425-0-23259400-1402759997_thumb

Edited by fonz93

Guest H3ROS

That (apps_set_persistent) doesn't actually work correctly as I discovered before. It disables GPU acceleration as you can see in apps such as the phone settings, status under the main settings menu and a bunch of other things.

My ROM already makes use of the OOM related stuff.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest fonz93

That doesn't actually work correctly as I discovered before. It disables GPU acceleration as you can see in apps such as the phone settings, status under the main settings menu and a bunch of other things.

I didn't know that,i checked it right now, you're right. Wow! how can be disabled gpu acceleration with a string line? uff..

Edited by fonz93

Guest H3ROS

I didn't know that, you're right. wow! how can be disabled gpu acceleration with a string line? uff..

Huawei's crappy coding. But that's not really a surprise is it? ;)

That's why I disabled it on the ROM side and made the kernel handle it. It was less work for me to undo Huawei's mess that way.