[KERNEL] [Y300/G510] Stock Huawei

I guess I need to re-enable the 2nd ZRAM device, because some APPs assume 1 device per CPU core, which is kind of brainless in an hotplug-environment.

Our Y300(MSM8225) got a different CPU than the G510(MSM8625).

Guest ZolaIII

Just flashed your kernel on H3ROS rom and so far everything seems to work, I have installed performance control and the default zram amount goes back to 10% after every reboot.Maybe I'm doing something wrong.Another (most likely dumb) question, why is the y300 stuck at 1ghz instead of 1.2 like the g510? Aren't they using the same soc? 20% extra clock speed would be really welcome.

You are not doing anything wrong it's old & known kernel bug (Linux in generally), it basically sets ½ of the given value on init. Its harmless bat annoying.

SoC have 3 revisions & clocks are calculated differently. So far all efforts to do OC have failed...

Guest SammichPG

As you said setting a 40% target gives the desired 20% (79mb).

I'm not sure I really need zram, I usually close apps when I have more than 3-4 apps in execution or have them greenified.

Is KSM worth it?

Guest gregySK

As you said setting a 40% target gives the desired 20% (79mb).

I'm not sure I really need zram, I usually close apps when I have more than 3-4 apps in execution or have them greenified.

Is KSM worth it?

Set value to 26% and after reboot you will have 51mb zRam-a and that is just enough.

Guest gregySK

why that specific amount?

Because that is one of default values for zRam and like @zolaIII said,tipical linux bug.When you set 26% or 102mb zRam android will separate to each core 51mb.

Guest zwastik

Hi, how about adding some others governors? I don't know if you have talked about this before because I haven't read all 36 pages... But could you add lulzactive? Because I have used it with cextel kernel and it really makes battery last longer (setting it with low minimun speed like 18 mhz or below stock 320 in general), I have noticed that every app I use runs smoothly and I think I utilize a broad range of apps like for web browsing, emulators like epsxe, n64oid, myboyadvance and they run fine espcially with some tweaks provided by GLTools (16 bits rendering and shader optimizer); and pdf readers.

Thx

Edited by zwastik

Guest ZolaIII

Of topic how about replacing ondemand with back ported mainline 3.10 version you did?

I whose very pleased with it's performance & behavior.

@ zwastik

Do try packed stencil buffers & half float texture hack (for adreno) in GL tools!

Edited by ZolaIII

Guest zwastik

I forgot to mention I also use a swap file.

edit: BTW, I installed your kernel in r209 and so far so good, just default ondemand governor is draining my battery XD and makes it heat a lot. But overall great kernel.

Edited by zwastik

edit: BTW, I installed your kernel in r209 and so far so good, just default ondemand governor is draining my battery XD and makes it heat a lot. But overall great kernel.

It's the same version of OnDemand shipped with the stock kernel.

Of topic how about replacing ondemand with back ported mainline 3.10 version you did?

I whose very pleased with it's performance & behavior.

The overall performance seemed to have dropped with my customized version of ondemand mellow.png

How often do you reboot your device? huh.png

I'll take a look if the kernel is small enough for being compressed with LZ4. In case I'm able to switch to LZ4 there is no guarantee that future kernel builds will still being compressed that way in case the kernel image shall grow again.

EDIT: sorry, the LZ4 compressed kernel doesn't boot, no matter what I try sad.png. Our device's RAM isn't fast enough anyway to have any benefit of this fast compression type.

Edited by Guest

Guest porozex

I guess I need to re-enable the 2nd ZRAM device, because some APPs assume 1 device per CPU core, which is kind of brainless in an hotplug-environment.

Our Y300(MSM8225) got a different CPU than the G510(MSM8625).

yeah do that. im using performance control app and dosent work as it should, also after a reboot the disksize decrease :S

Guest juanpablocastillo

How often do you reboot your device? huh.png

I'll take a look if the kernel is small enough for being compressed with LZ4. In case I'm able to switch to LZ4 there is no guarantee that future kernel builds will still being compressed that way in case the kernel image shall grow again.

EDIT: sorry, the LZ4 compressed kernel doesn't boot, no matter what I try sad.png. Our device's RAM isn't fast enough anyway to have any benefit of this fast compression type.

Tnx for try it. Mmm... What about use the LZ4 API for zRAM?

Well, for ZRAM counts the same than for the kernel-bootimage: our memory bandwidth is too low to notice any benefits by LZ4 compared to the (updated!!) LZO.

After the LZO kernel commit it's a lot faster anyway, although it doesn't fully match the speed of LZ4. Therefore the compression ratio is still higher.

And that's what you actually want for ZRAM on a device which only 512MB RAM: higher compression ratio for more SWAP content.

Switching to LZ4 would make sense on a system with an higher amount of total RAM, on which you can set higher disksizes for ZRAM.

Guest atlas.

this is from my g510-251 (AOSP MOD with kernel synopsis 17/7/2014)

127|u0_a60@android:/ $ su

root@android:/ # dmesg | grep LCD_DEBUG
<3>[91, kworker/u:3] [ 4933.124712] [LCD_DEBUG] leave mipi_hx8369a_fwvga_lcd_on
<3>[4969, kworker/u:2] [ 5713.394697] [LCD_DEBUG] leave mipi_hx8369a_fwvga_lcd_off
<3>[7213, kworker/u:5] [ 5721.684611] [LCD_DEBUG] leave mipi_hx8369a_fwvga_lcd_on
<3>[7213, kworker/u:5] [ 5724.084807] [LCD_DEBUG] leave mipi_hx8369a_fwvga_lcd_off
<3>[7213, kworker/u:5] [ 5724.544751] [LCD_DEBUG] leave mipi_hx8369a_fwvga_lcd_on
root@android:/ #

Thx, Anyone else please?

I'm trying to disable unused drivers which unnecessarily increase the kernel binary. Maybe I can shrink it enough to try another attempt switching to LZO or LZ4 boot.img compression.