ZTE OPEN C Developer Tools

Guest hecatae

Guest KonstaT
Looks like this is the way to unlock the bootloader which is certainly a major improvement over the previous version of Open (which didn't have any way to unlock the bootloader and boot unsigned images afaik). More good news and far more interesting is that they've also released images to boot to Android 4.4.2 KitKat and images to go back to Firefox OS.

If it wasn't always such a huge hassle trying to get ZTE release kernel source/etc, I'd be certainly interested in getting one. :( 85€ delivered to your home door isn't a bad price either compared to other MSM8x10 devices available (even though this is a little behind in specs compared to e.g. Moto E). This could certainly be a very interesting dev toy.

Guest hecatae

Looks like this is the way to unlock the bootloader which is certainly a major improvement over the previous version of Open (which didn't have any way to unlock the bootloader and boot unsigned images afaik). More good news and far more interesting is that they've also released images to boot to Android 4.4.2 KitKat and images to go back to Firefox OS.

Could you share the link to the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat images?

edit: found it http://down.comebuy.com/Open_c_root_Android4.4.rar

and a video on youtube 

Interesting that it claims to be a zte kis 3

Guest KonstaT

the reason I will not be picking up one of these is because of the Flame: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Developer_phone_guide/Flame

Flame is not available to purchase yet (or even anytime soon?). It's twice the price compared to Open C (same chipset, doesn't have that much better specs otherwise). And it doesn't run both Firefox OS and Android officially.

Lol, got another generic bullshit response from ZTE requesting kernel source for this device. Well, at least they gave me a link to their new open source page.

Guest hecatae

Flame is not available to purchase yet (or even anytime soon?). It's twice the price compared to Open C (same chipset, doesn't have that much better specs otherwise). And it doesn't run both Firefox OS and Android officially.

Lol, got another generic bullshit response from ZTE requesting kernel source for this device. Well, at least they gave me a link to their new open source page.

http://opensource.ztedevices.com/

it is running a 3.4 kernel, may be wiorth checking the two kitkat kernel sources on offer for reference.

Guest KonstaT

it is running a 3.4 kernel, may be wiorth checking the two kitkat kernel sources on offer for reference.

There's only one KitKat kernel source available and it's most likely for some msm8226 device (even Google doesn't know what N9515 is). Everything since Android 4.1 has been based on 3.4 kernel so that alone doesn't tell much. Open C's Firefox OS is Jelly Bean 4.3 based and there isn't even KitKat based release for msm8x10 (exact CAF tag it's based on can be easily found).

I also checked and verified that Open C is in fact the same device as just released Kis III which is told to be sold at 75€.

ZTE is still making me jump extra hoops to get the Open C kernel source. Now they want to know my IMEI number even though I specifically told them I wouldn't purchase a device before they'd comply to their legal oblications and release the kernel source...

Guest hecatae

ZTE is still making me jump extra hooks to get the Open C kernel source. Now they want to know my IMEI number even though I specifically told them I wouldn't purchase a device before they'd comply to their legal oblications and release the kernel source...

Here's an IMEI for you:

ME0000201E_49.jpg

Taken from this ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-STOCK-ZTE-OPEN-C-Latest-Firefox-OS-3G-4-inch-dual-core-Unlocked-Smartphone-/301187077688?

Guest KonstaT
Hah, looks like spamming ZTE with angry emails helped. Of course they still didn't release quite what I was asking for. Now there's at least KitKat kernel source for ZTE Kis 3 (which is the Android variant of Open C). That should do for any fun I had planned. :P

Merged it on top of CAF tag and pushed it to my github.

Edit. Looks like this device is very stripped down to cut the cost. There's no proximity or ambient light sensors. Camera lacks auto-focus and it seems that the supported camera sensors are only 2mpix even though it says 3mpix on the specs (some software magic to stretch the images?). :o Otherwise this must be the cleanest ZTE kernel source I've ever seen. :) There's also some indication in the source that slightly better ZTE MSM8x10 devices are on the way.

Guest hecatae

Edit. Looks like this device is very stripped down to cut the cost. There's no proximity or ambient light sensors. Camera lacks auto-focus and it seems that the supported camera sensors are only 2mpix even though it says 3mpix on the specs (some software magic to stretch the images?). :o Otherwise this must be the cleanest ZTE kernel source I've ever seen. :) There's also some indication in the source that slightly better ZTE MSM8x10 devices are on the way.

ZTE V790 also has a 2mp camera interpolated to 3mp

ro.camera.intrplt.2mpto3mp=true
thank you for the kernel source, shared it on mozilla b2g dev google group, as the current build process for the open c is copy flame which fails on so many points, hopefully someone should be able to get their own build running.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Developer_phone_guide/ZTE_OPEN_C

Start at the build prerequisite instructions, and treat the Open C like it is a Flame device for the purposes of configuration: this is because the Flame and Open C are both based on the Android Jellybean basesystem.

edit: according to Google, Kis 3 is Hungarian for small third

open c manifest https://bug1016867.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8429932