can a turned-off phone be turned on remotely?

Guest derei

Guest derei

I just read this article and I felt like it worth sharing... maybe there is more than we think. Maybe producers leave some "backdoor" intentionally (at request of some interested...agencies), to make this possible?

anyway... read and draw your own conclusions.

http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear-and-gadgets/can-the-nsa-remotely-turn-on-your-mobile-phone-140530.htm

Guest Voxpop2011

This article is full of contradictions.  First it says: 'Turning on a cellphone remotely would involve something called a baseband hack, and it's not simple to pull off', but later states: 'The code in baseband processors is crap ... It's relatively easy to find vulnerabilities that can be used to take control of the baseband processor ... The code is so fragile it's hard not to find a bug in it'.  Whilst in between suggesting that you could defeat any attempt to turn on the phone remotely by removing the battery thereby 'killing' the baseband signal.

I think your concerns would be better directed at keeping spam and potentially malicious apps out of your phone than whether the NSA is able to remotely turn on your device.

Guest derei

Well, is not my particular concern, as I have no reason to fear this...if someone wants to listen to my nasty talks with gf, let him do it :)))

But, if this is a real thing, then we as citizens should be concerned, because someone is doing things against our rights.

And regarding spam and malicious apps, I think I'm pretty safe with it... it didn't happened. And I hope it will never happen if I am careful ;)

Guest MJonMoDaCo

Indeed. But what he is essentially saying, is true. Thanks to the leaker...

Perhaps it isn't against the law however. That link sure is interesting. I have found out recently that there are a few different states of "off" but that the only real way to ensure it is to remove the battery. That's as much of a state of "off" as it gets.