How best to flush away the accumulated crap?

Guest Pofadda

Guest Pofadda

Somewhat weird stuff is starting to happen on my rooted 16GB Moto G, probably related to the various launchers, system apps and theming I've plonked in it.  Most importantly, the phone freezes repeatedly (5 -6 times) after a cold restart, seeming to be cured by shutting down wifi and mobile data.

With this in mind, I am considering either factory resetting it or reinstalling the stock 4.4.2 - if that is possible after unlocking & rooting it, given Motorola's heaviness re doing that - or even asking about any mods that are as stable as stock.

In my old MS days, an OS reinstall was a fine cure for slowness and mess-ups.  Is this still so now?

What is the best strategy to clean out and keep rooted my Moto G, please?

I use an app called 360 Security. It has loads of functions but one called 'Phone Cleaner' clears trash files, privacy history and corrupt APK's and frees up 'megabytes of storage'.

Guest Maximus9

It might not help, but my Moto G freezed. After trying anything and everything, I remembered I switched from Dalvik to ART.

Switched back to Dalvik and problems solved. Are you on ART by any chance?

Somewhat weird stuff is starting to happen on my rooted 16GB Moto G, probably related to the various launchers, system apps and theming I've plonked in it.  Most importantly, the phone freezes repeatedly (5 -6 times) after a cold restart, seeming to be cured by shutting down wifi and mobile data.

With this in mind, I am considering either factory resetting it or reinstalling the stock 4.4.2 - if that is possible after unlocking & rooting it, given Motorola's heaviness re doing that - or even asking about any mods that are as stable as stock.

In my old MS days, an OS reinstall was a fine cure for slowness and mess-ups.  Is this still so now?

What is the best strategy to clean out and keep rooted my Moto G, please?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SifJar

You can always flash back to stock (unlocked bootloader is irrelevant) and start over from a clean start. That'd be a bit more thorough than a factory reset. Then just use superboot to root again (your bootloader will still be unlocked), or if you have a custom recovery installed you can root by flashing a zip of e.g. SuperSU.

EDIT: Here's a guide to flashing back to stock: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2542219

Obviously you do this at your own risk, but it should be fairly safe. Worst case scenario, just boot into bootloader and flash again.

Edited by SifJar

Guest Pofadda

Many thanks for the responses, folks, but I am in the midst of house-selling and have been a bit distracted to reply immediately.

Things have got worse - see http://www.modaco.com/topic/372760-comandroidsystemui-has-stopped-and-i-cant-get-into-my-moto-g/#entry2215317, which tells that the phone is now unusable and I am on the point of doing a Factory Reset.  I am hoping that com.android.systemui can be replaced or the pattern lock can be disabled via ADB (or something).

Going to the Fastboot menu (Power+Vol.s) and pressing Factory or Recovery or any key, just restarts the phone which goes through the boot animation and the 'upgrading' message.  When in the Fastboot menu and connected to my Mac by USB, ADB says 'USB connected', and 'fastboot devices' reports 'TA8900F042' which is a bit of a relief, I guess.