HELP: constant phone freezes and restarts

Guest Maximus9

Guest Maximus9
My Moto G (16GB Dual SIM) froze while installing an app from Amazon Appstore.
As the battery cannot be removed, I kept the power button pressed till it turned off.

On restart, I get a message saying "Android is upgrading... Optimising app 1 of 1".

My phone is rooted (and bootloader unlocked).

Anyone had the same issue and knows what can be done ? 
This message just sits on the screen, the progress circle freezes, and then I have to keep pressing on Power button till the phone resets again. After this second power up, the phone usually does another reboot by itself (but this time I do not get the warning about the unlocked bootloader) and finally it displays the message again but this time after a few seconds boots normally. 

Even after this "normal" boot, the phone will reset itself when I try to uninstall an app. Don't understand why when I try to uninstall...

The phone worked fine rooted for more than one month, till this happened.

Thank you!
Edited by Maximus9

Guest plewis1981

Have you tried wipeing cache and dalvik cache in recovery , as the android is updating is the system building the dalvik cache for your app, once you wipe dalvik cache in recovery, the count in the updating message will change from 1 of 1, to however many apps you have installed

Edited by plewis1981

Guest plewis1981

Also you could try removing the app in question using any root file explorer from /data/app and then try wiping cache and dalvik cache from recovery

Guest Maximus9

Have you tried wipeing cache and dalvik cache in recovery , as the android is updating is the system building the dalvik cache for your app, once you wipe dalvik cache in recovery, the count in the updating message will change from 1 of 1, to however many apps you have installed

I don't have experience with the recovery. I do have paid version of ROMTollBox so used that to Boot into recovery.

I get a screen saying "CWM-based Recovery v6.0.4.6"

I tried wipeing Dalvik first, I got the messages:

"E:unknown volume for path [/sd-ext]

Dalvik Cache Wiped"

Is that normal?

Then I selected Reboot and got a message saying

"RootAccess possibly lost. Fix?" 

Is this normal? Should I answer Yes? 

Edited by Maximus9

Guest plewis1981

Yes that's all ok click yes to fix, the SD/ext is for when you have limited space for apps and have to create a secondary partition on the SD card ( we don't have this issue )

Guest Maximus9

Ok, I selected Yes and rebooted, Android is upgrading appeared on the screen, first 189 apps then after 43 or something it rebooted again (the reboot did not display the warning about the bootloader being unlocked) and then Android is upgrading appeared again on the screen, this time 142 apps. 

After all finished, nothing changed, it still did the same.

In the end, I changed from ART to Dalvik. This seems to have fix the problem! Or maybe just postponed it. Will see in the future.

No more ART for me for now.

Guest Maximus9

You still helped, thank you !

I forgot to mention that I was using ART.

It might interest others, I managed to duplicate the problem on another Moto G (single sim 8gb this time) using ART, with the same 2 apps that gave me problems: FastConnect from Google Play and iReal Pro from Amazon AppStore.

iReal Pro caused the same issue, freezing the phone and nothing helped until changed to Dalvik.

I heard ART is faster, but obviously I'll keep away from it from now on.