Liberty taking mobile providers, AKA Vodafone...

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Marketing people who distort truth and make things sound WAY better than they actually are, make me truly angry.

An example of this hype and guff is Vodafone's spiel regarding the paltry QUARTER of a gigabyte of data that they propose is a good deal for FIVE QUID (giffgaff give me *truly* UNLIMITED 3G data AND 250 mins AND unlimited texts for only £12 on PAYG)

Okay, so because the amount of data is absolutely laughable and just insulting, and because NOTHING useful could be done with that puny amount of bandwidth, they take another tack and try to make it sound HUGE, by telling us we can "reply to a 'whopping' 5,000 emails" ("whopping"? emails are a few hundred kilobytes or a megabyte or to AT MOST, on average - you're trying to make up the 250MB by giving examples of usage patterns that are never EVER going to realistic or likely, to make 250MB sound HUGE) and "read 4,000 news stories" with this insulting offering. Yeah? So, even if it was humanly possible to read 4,000 news stories AND reply to 5,000 emails, would you have any time left to eat, sleep, be with your family and ... ermm... do OTHER things?

These people are living in cloud cuckoo land, AKA the land of those detached from ALL reality, for the sake of making a case to stuff their wallets to breaking point, whilst simultaneously offering a use case which is insulting to one's intelligence.

WAKE UP mobile providers - this is 2014 not 2003 - PEOPLE USE YOUTUBE, they don't write "a whopping" (Seriously??) 5,000 emails OR read 4,000 BBC news stories (why does it have to be the BBC - are they paid to say that?).

Irritated rant done.

post-625969-0-54940200-1402188772_thumb.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Voxpop2011

Watching video content on a teeny, tiny screen with tinny sound is utterly pointless.  You don't have to sign up for any package, just pay for what you use.

If you really want to talk about a rip-off, just look at monthly contracts.  If you go for a top of the range model, you could be paying £30 to £40 plus per month for absolutely abysmal service.  Now there is 4G giving providers more opportunity to take another gouge out of the subscriber.

Guest glossywhite

Watching video content on a teeny, tiny screen with tinny sound is utterly pointless.  You don't have to sign up for any package, just pay for what you use.

If you really want to talk about a rip-off, just look at monthly contracts.  If you go for a top of the range model, you could be paying £30 to £40 plus per month for absolutely abysmal service.  Now there is 4G giving providers more opportunity to take another gouge out of the subscriber.

If your phone is *truly* tiny, then yes - that could be a negative experience. I watch 95% of my stuff on a dual 20" monitor Desktop, but when I am out or in bed, my Moto G is perfectly adequate and the speaker is extremely loud and crisp; far from tinny, although I wouldn't want to be doing that a lot, but it's certainly not a bad experience as you suggest - it's actually very very decent. :)

Yes, I know all about monthly contracts, and I haven't had one in years. My friend was here yesterday and was telling me about the paltry offering she gets from EE for **£40** per month, and then went into the usual explanation of justifying that because the iPhone 5S is so expensive. She worked out it was around £900++ for 2 years... what a joke. My Moto G cost £100 + I pay £10 or £12 month to month on giffgaff PAYG (depending on whether I want unlimited data that month or not), which would be a maximum of £144 per year, and some months I just don't top up at all, because... well, I don't need it that month (all my family are on giffgaff = free calls & SMS).

Guest Voxpop2011

... Yes, I know all about monthly contracts, and I haven't had one in years. My friend was here yesterday and was telling me about the paltry offering she gets from EE for **£40** per month, and then went into the usual explanation of justifying that because the iPhone 5S is so expensive. She worked out it was around £900++ for 2 years... what a joke.

This is what people do not seem to understand about contracts and the so called 'free phone'.  I have never had a contract and bought my iPhone 4 direct from Apple.  Okay it cost me nearly £500, but I wasn't locked into a two year contract.

These days I am looking for something that will make and receive calls and texts, together with some useful apps (mostly travel and calculations).  As I currently have two mobile numbers, the focus is now on a dual sim model.  Gone are the days when I would have spent hundreds on a phone.

• 1 month later...
Guest tarquino

This is what people do not seem to understand about contracts and the so called 'free phone'.  I have never had a contract and bought my iPhone 4 direct from Apple.  Okay it cost me nearly £500, but I wasn't locked into a two year contract.

These days I am looking for something that will make and receive calls and texts, together with some useful apps (mostly travel and calculations).  As I currently have two mobile numbers, the focus is now on a dual sim model.  Gone are the days when I would have spent hundreds on a phone.

if you require a dual sim phone have a look at the various samsung and sony offerings with dual sim. these represent value for money.