[ROM][4.1.1][B209] AOSP MOD [28/02/2015]

Guest H3ROS

Guest H3ROS

And is that where you notice most of the lag, in the browser or after using it? It's just that the stock browser isn't really all that great anyway. I was going to replace it with Chrome, but I didn't because it's an AOSP mod and someone would probably want the AOSP browser. So if it's linked to the browser usage I'd suggest you try using Chrome instead. If, however, you get any lag without using the browser then try using the Synopsis kernel.

325MHz GPU OC: http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/81444706/file.html

325MHz GPU OC + 200Hz timer rate: http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/48105308/file.html

Guest xxirioxx

Why did you set Low Memory Killer at 44MB only in update 2? Now there is a lot of lag. The previous LMK value was perfect instead.

Guest fonz93

Why did you set Low Memory Killer at 44MB only in update 2? Now there is a lot of lag. The previous LMK value was perfect instead.

44 mb is the default value, he only disabled his custom values

Guest H3ROS

The default values shouldn't make much difference. I simply set the values that I did before so that the LMK wouldn't kill the SystemUI or Phone services, but now I've patched Android so that it can't kill either of them services. So now you may appear to have slightly less free RAM, but the low memory killer has everything under control. You just need to remember that free RAM is wasted RAM with Android.

Since I've changed the minfree's back to stock people have got better scores in AnTuTu and during testing 2 people said it helped to make their games smoother.

If you'd like to restore the previous values just edit the 01extra file.

#disabled "1536,3072,4096,21000,23000,25000" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree;

change to this

echo "1536,3072,4096,21000,23000,25000" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree;
Edited by H3ROS

Guest TayoOnabule

My phone this night didn't go in deep sleep caused by google services

Screenshot_2014_06_22_09_11_19.jpg

Had the same problem on multiple ROMs lately. After a bit o' research it's just the current GP Services app's location gathering method. It should be fixed in an upcoming update :)

Guest Y300-0100

Hi to all.

First I want to thank you H3ROS for this wonderful Rom. I have been using it from start. But now after update it is perfect and I have no issues.

One thing confuses me. People are experiencing low ram issue and lags. As I know android or linux (because I use it) does not use ram same as windows. Android keep ram cached from recently apps and when you start new app that demand little bit more ram android os make free ram for new app so that new app could run properly, so I think. I got installed chrome, skype,  google drive, dropbox, viber, earth, fring, navigon, ...136 apps ( sync always on ). but i got no lag or ram issue. Antutu score always around 7400-7700. My free ram is in range 50 - 120 MB all time. But this could be ( or not ) because I changed cron job settings for drop caches in to this.

busybox sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
busybox sync; echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
busybox sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches 

every 1 min.

Anyway very good rom in my opinion.

Once again H3ROS thanks for your hard work because i know it was not easy...  

Guest H3ROS

There's actually one change I made that was a personal preference that I'd forgot to revert back, but nobody has mentioned it. I cut the animation scale time inhalf so that things appear to load faster. To some that may appear less smooth, but if I go back to 1x then it feels like slow motion to me. You'll see it under developer options.

Guest H3ROS

I've not actually used Synopsis in a while since I'm trying to stick to my own work. It's just that I'm focusing on getting the ROM totally bug free, so I wouldn't want to change the kernel because that can impact performance. Once I've fixed this bluetooth headset bug in calls though then I'll start looking into the kernel stuff a little more.

If you'd like to know which version I'd probably try, it'd be the version with the GPU clocked at 325MHz and using the standard 100Hz timer rate.

Guest xxirioxx

The default values shouldn't make much difference. I simply set the values that I did before so that the LMK wouldn't kill the SystemUI or Phone services, but now I've patched Android so that it can't kill either of them services. So now you may appear to have slightly less free RAM, but the low memory killer has everything under control. You just need to remember that free RAM is wasted RAM with Android.

Since I've changed the minfree's back to stock people have got better scores in AnTuTu and during testing 2 people said it helped to make their games smoother.

If you'd like to restore the previous values just edit the 01extra file.

#disabled "1536,3072,4096,21000,23000,25000" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree;

change to this

echo "1536,3072,4096,21000,23000,25000" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree;

Free RAM is wasted RAM but CPU too :) When RAM is low, my phone is very slow because when you start a new app, it loses time trying closing other processes.

Edited by xxirioxx

Guest H3ROS

That depends on the app you're trying to load and how much you've got installed and running in the background though. Changing the minfree's so that the ROM always says that you've got more free RAM results in more CPU time because it's having to reload the apps that it closed before so that it could give you all of the free memory. So by using the stock values it'll use up as much RAM as it can before there's a performance hit and it needs to close an app or two.

Either way you go about it there will be issues as the phone only has 512MB. Using a swap file might help, but not much.

Guest Ranx91

I have a huge battery drain when i play music!!! from 72% to 51% in less than 2 hours!!!! ...what driver did you install in viper4android??

i have your rom with synopsis kernel gpu ock and 100hz!!!

Guest H3ROS

It's set to power save by default. I can't reproduce the drain either as I'm a heavy music listener.

Have you installed wakelock detector to confirm that it's actually music that's causing it and not the Google Play Services location bug?

Guest AssaSsiNMiLeS

There's actually one change I made that was a personal preference that I'd forgot to revert back, but nobody has mentioned it. I cut the animation scale time inhalf so that things appear to load faster. To some that may appear less smooth, but if I go back to 1x then it feels like slow motion to me. You'll see it under developer options.

I noticed that but with GravityBox you can change the value to 0.75x which is the best value in my opinion.

Guest H3ROS

with modding33k's kernel I have no lag. did you try it?

It's working fine here with the stock too. I think some people just have a lot of files on their SD card and expect the ROM to fly straight away. That's not always the case though.

@ AssaSsiNMiLeS

You can? Where's the option for that in GravityBox?

I've noticed before now that sometimes I'll get .75x in developer options and sometimes I won't. I know it's not there in my virtual devices.

Guest Y300-0100

That depends on the app you're trying to load and how much you've got installed and running in the background though. Changing the minfree's so that the ROM always says that you've got more free RAM results in more CPU time because it's having to reload the apps that it closed before so that it could give you all of the free memory. So by using the stock values it'll use up as much RAM as it can before there's a performance hit and it needs to close an app or two.

Either way you go about it there will be issues as the phone only has 512MB. Using a swap file might help, but not much.

I had swap 100MB system (was not happy with that) but when I remove it I got results posted above. 

Guest AssaSsiNMiLeS

@ AssaSsiNMiLeS

You can? Where's the option for that in GravityBox?

I've noticed before now that sometimes I'll get .75x in developer options and sometimes I won't. I know it's not there in my virtual devices.

Simply installing GravityBox should be enough to get .75x animation scale in developer options. According to this post it was added in 3.1.3 release: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=52824210&postcount=7295

Guest H3ROS

@ Y300-0100

Yeah, I find that both swap and zRAM don't help much, if at all.

Any "lag" I think is due to animation changes from what some people are used to. That plus the kernel isn't fully optimized yet since my main focus is the ROM.

Other ROM's tend to install an older version of the CeXstel kernel, but Ceastel didn't post the source for them versions so I can't fork anything from him. So the only alternative is to use the moddingg33k source, but the issue with using the moddingg33k source is that it's not got a stable build that contains all of the features that I need. And the last time I tried it it didn't score as well as the CeXstel kernel, although people are reporting decent scores with the latest version of Synopsis. One person also had a random reboot when using the Synopsis kernel too, so right now wouldn't be a good time to fork it.

@ AssaSsiNMiLeS

Interesting. I'll have to see if I can add that to the ROM without the need for GravityBox, since on first boot as everything's being setup for the first time I don't think .75x is a valid entry.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest Picvajzmen

@H3ROS

i dont know, maybe i had some lag because i have g510, can it be that? But im sure that with moddings kernel i dont have that lag for example in Chrome.. Chrome with your kernel for me was painfuly slow and lagy.. I dont realy get it. Beside that, I love your rom, it has everything I need, its just the best rom for me that there is! And thank you again for it.

Edited by Picvajzmen

Guest H3ROS

The lag wouldn't come from the ROM side of things, but the kernel. It'd probably happen because I used a prebuilt Linaro toolchain and I didn't optimize anything for it. I simply made some code changes, set up the settings I wanted and compiled it.