Continuation of IODAK's excellent work. [kernel] updated 14-09-02

Guest Mourta

Guest Mourta

Release of a massive updated kernel is sent to testers, i'll await their results and see if it matches mine, if it does then you should have an updated version in a few days.

Guest Mourta

Thanks for your reply, Can you please give us some hints about which CPU and Cpuquiet governors to use? or the governors you are using for testing

Abyssplug/balanced/row.

Next version AbyssplugV2/balanced/row

Guest technofreak

Release of a massive updated kernel is sent to testers, i'll await their results and see if it matches mine, if it does then you should have an updated version in a few days.

still 3.1 or 3.4. Nice to hear news from you. Thanks...

Guest Mourta

still 3.1 or 3.4. Nice to hear news from you. Thanks...

This kernel hasn't really been 3.1 for quite some time, it's just that there is no direct patched update on code we don't use to change version completely.

I've taken from my 3.4 kernel and integrated it into this kernel to be able to run some pretty cool stuff like Abyssplugv2, so it's somewhere in between at this point in time. ;)

Guest technofreak

This kernel hasn't really been 3.1 for quite some time, it's just that there is no direct patched update on code we don't use to change version completely.

I've taken from my 3.4 kernel and integrated it into this kernel to be able to run some pretty cool stuff like Abyssplugv2, so it's somewhere in between at this point in time. ;)

ok, i understand, thanks :D

Guest moneyvirus

It's better to say 3.39, trust me (I'm one of the testers).. The time for public release is very close :D

Man you make me curious love this project it beats everything

Guest daniel.mota

@Morta, I know you like the Abissplug governors, but what kernel settings do you recommend to maximize the battery live, without drastically reducing the phone's performance?

I mean the cpu governor, the cpuquiet governor, the i/o scheduler, the read ahead size and the tcp congestions control.

Thanks!

Guest Mourta

@Morta, I know you like the Abissplug governors, but what kernel settings do you recommend to maximize the battery live, without drastically reducing the phone's performance?

I mean the cpu governor, the cpuquiet governor, the i/o scheduler, the read ahead size and the tcp congestions control.

Thanks!

I rewrote Abyssplugv2 as well as the interface and core powersave to accomplish one thing, ONE coherent interface.

So the settings i recommend and use (as do the testers) are:

CPU governor: AbyssplugV2

CPUquiet governor: balanced

Sheduler: ROW

TCP congestion: westwood+

Undervolting and overclocking is something i cannot recommend since it depends on your version and you'll have to test it yourself.

It should be noted that abyssplugv2 uses a whole new interface to cpufreq which makes quite a bit of difference. As i fixed the problem where the governor is set only for the first core it now governs all cores right from whatever util you use.

There are two options for the future, removing cpuquiet completely or updating it to a new version, i don't want to mess too much with iodaks work because it's very well done so we'll see which way i go with that, you can be assured that what is presented is well tested and found to be the best possible.

Guest daniel.mota

I'm using balanced, row and westwood, but none of the cpu governors gave me the battery life I wanted.

And I underclock to 1.3 GHz Max and undervolt by -125 mV (tegra variant 0).

The thing is my wife's Galaxy S3 (full stock) has much better battery life than my phone and that bothers me!

I will try your abissplug2 for a few days now, I'm sure it will be an improvement.

Thanks again for your reply.

Guest Mourta

I'm using balanced, row and westwood, but none of the cpu governors gave me the battery life I wanted.

The thing is my wife's Galaxy S3 (full stock) has much better battery life than my phone and that bothers me!

I will try your abissplug2 for a few days now, I'm sure it will be an improvement.

The word from the testers is that it's the best yet.

If you want to compete with your wife, do it in penis size, that way you'll always win. ;)

Guest TheSonic

Will you release the ROM soon? ,, Can't wait until I try both :) and would be great if the kernel is included with the ROM

Edited by TheSonic

Guest Mourta

Will you release the ROM soon? ,, Can't wait until I try both :) and would be great if the kernel is included with the ROM

Wrong thread.

Please read the ROM thread, i've already answered that question.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/373139-to-answer-user-questions-all-in-one-place/

Read this thread, if you have questions, ask them there.

Edited by Mourta

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

Is it enough for you more or less 4h of screen on time browsing the net, playing music, sending messages and making calls, without playing games? And a deep sleep which prevent any single partial wakelock, saving every mV of your juice when there's no need to lose it? If not, well, try another phone, mate ;) Of course, if you are used to have mobile data on all the time, you'll have a bigger battery drain with each kernel, no one can make miracles with a tegra3 chipset :)

Guest daniel.mota

The word from the testers is that it's the best yet.

If you want to compete with your wife, do it in penis size, that way you'll always win. ;)

Lol. :D

Edited by daniel.mota

Guest Mourta

Is it enough for you more or less 4h of screen on time browsing the net, playing music, sending messages and making calls, without playing games? And a deep sleep which prevent any single partial wakelock, saving every mV of your juice when there's no need to lose it? If not, well, try another phone, mate ;) Of course, if you are used to have mobile data on all the time, you'll have a bigger battery drain with each kernel, no one can make miracles with a tegra3 chipset :)

It's a special version, focused on setting one coherent interface all the way from core assembly files to the top level governor and everything in between. The CPU is now reporting directly to the governor via the actual hardware and user interface and i think i hit the sweetspot when it comes to how sensitive it should be to usage/battery time.

It will deliver 1500 on all cores in the blink of an eye, hold as it walks through the frequencies and go back to minimum possible without delay for scaling up and down, all achieved with the new interface.

It's pretty cool how well it works considering i just ripped it right out of my 3.4 and didn't even rewrite all that much to make it work for this kernel.

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

It's a special version, focused on setting one coherent interface all the way from core assembly files to the top level governor and everything in between. The CPU is now reporting directly to the governor via the actual hardware and user interface and i think i hit the sweetspot when it comes to how sensitive it should be to usage/battery time.

It will deliver 1500 on all cores in the blink of an eye, hold as it walks through the frequencies and go back to minimum possible without delay for scaling up and down, all achieved with the new interface.

It's pretty cool how well it works considering i just ripped it right out of my 3.4 and didn't even rewrite all that much to make it work for this kernel.

Yeah, simply great! I was waiting for you to explain everything to the users, it's your work, and we testers can't deprive you of this privilege, even if we talked about these arguments before ;) Edited by Giuseppe Vallone

Guest Mourta

Yeah, simply great! I was waiting for you to explain everything to the users, it's your work, and we testers can't deprive you of this privilege, even if we talked about these arguments before ;)

Next version up for testing... in my crystal ball i see testers being happy. ;)

Test it good, test it hard and once we've got it done ... users will be happy with a fast and stable kernel.

It's the way things are done around here.

Guest Mourta

Hi Mourta

If the kernel only for LS? With omnirom not work, freezes.

Thanks

It should work on all ROM's, i'm not aware of anything in omnirom that would make it freeze up.

Wait... crap, did you have abyssplug set as the default governor in Omni? if so you will have to reflash the old kernel, change that to anything but abyssplug and then change it to abyssplugv2 (if you want to use that, and you do want to use that, trust me on this)...

I forgot i made an incompatible switch in the new kernel and didn't remove the option for abyssplug until i compiled the new testing version.

But... just flash one of the older kernels, go into whatever in omni and change it to ondemand, reboot, install kernel and change it to abyssplugv2.

I forgot that i made abyssplug (the original) defunct with this update, sorry about that.