[Recovery] ClockWorkMod 6.0.5.1 for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

ok, sorry for asking. the thing is that I already installed the drivers for the open C. that way I could install 4.4.2 and root it. is there a special fastboot driver for the device?

No need to apologize but searching before asking wouldn't hurt either. If you'd just bothered to read, you'd figured this out a long time ago.  ;)

This device uses a generic Google mode for fastboot (18d1:d00d) so it's incredible how Windows can have this much problems with this. There's also some solutions posted on the first page of this thread (even one with video). As a Linux user this is really not my problem. :P My Windows 7 64-bit still managed to install the right drivers on its own.

Guest naddel81

will try another usb port tomorrow or I'll give flashify a try. would you agree with flashing the cwm-recovery.img via flashify?

Guest Kramus

@ALL @KonstaT  Man, this s*** crashed my PC. Can anyone help me, this is my problem: I have Windows 8.1 x64 and want to install CWM on my ZTE Open C. So I install the ZTE USB Driver from KonstaT (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35834778/ZTE-Kis3-Usb-Driver-Setup.exe). And I can get in the Fastboot Modus (adb reboot bootloader). So this works. But I can't do anything in the Fastboot Modus. I just get the message: "Waiting for device..." So I read a lot of in this thread and search on google for some Drivers and tried a lot of Drivers. After a restart ALL the drivers of my PC get uninstalled. So my Mouse and WLAN doesn't work anymore. I had to reinstall Windows...

Now I want to try it again. I just want to install CWM on my Open C.

Guest KonstaT

will try another usb port tomorrow or I'll give flashify a try. would you agree with flashing the cwm-recovery.img via flashify?

You'd better ask the Flashify developer. I have no idea what method it uses to flash boot/recovery images. You can try and report back how it went. ;)

I personally prefer sticking to tools (adb, fastboot) that I know exactly what they are doing.

@ALL @KonstaT  Man, this s*** crashed my PC. Can anyone help me, this is my problem: I have Windows 8.1 x64 and want to install CWM on my ZTE Open C. So I install the ZTE USB Driver from KonstaT (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35834778/ZTE-Kis3-Usb-Driver-Setup.exe). And I can get in the Fastboot Modus (adb reboot bootloader). So this works. But I can't do anything in the Fastboot Modus. I just get the message: "Waiting for device..." So I read a lot of in this thread and search on google for some Drivers and tried a lot of Drivers. After a restart ALL the drivers of my PC get uninstalled. So my Mouse and WLAN doesn't work anymore. I had to reinstall Windows...

Now I want to try it again. I just want to install CWM on my Open C.

LOL, you should have installed Linux instead. :D Yeah, this is most definitely all my fault. :P

You need to have a driver that supports 'USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D' mode. ZTE's driver linked in the OP apparently only supports ADB, Diag, Modem, NMEA and RNDIS modes - not fastboot that uses a generic Google mode. I checked my drivers on Windows 7 and fastboot support currently comes from a Motorola driver (logs also tell there was a driver that supported it before that - no idea what that was, though).

It would be a matter of minutes for someone to make an appropriate driver. Properly signing it is a bit more trickier...

Guest Kramus

LOL, you should have installed Linux instead. :D Yeah, this is most definitely all my fault. :P

You need to have a driver that supports 'USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D' mode. ZTE's driver linked in the OP apparently only supports ADB, Diag, Modem, NMEA and RNDIS modes - not fastboot that uses a generic Google mode. I checked my drivers on Windows 7 and fastboot support currently comes from a Motorola driver (logs also tell there was a driver that supported it before that - no idea what that was, though).

It would be a matter of minutes for someone to make an appropriate driver. Properly signing it is a bit more trickier...

I think you misunderstood me. I absolutely don't want to blame you for anything! I was pissed off, because all of my files get lost and I waste a lot of time for that, but I don't want to say that it is your fault! I am thankful for this awesome Rom! And finally I did it. :D

For people with the same problem (Installing a Custom Recovery with Windows 8.1 x64):

1. Download and install the ZTE USB Driver (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35834778/ZTE-Kis3-Usb-Driver-Setup.exe)

2. Download and install "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1S0LCuXCnnmOWhnUk1ZWVdQakE/view?pli=1)

3. Download and install UniversalAdbDriver (http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/UniversalAdbDriverSetup.msi)

4. Connect your ZTE Open C with your PC and choose "Synchronisation" on your Smartphone

5. Start "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" as Admin

6. Type: "adb reboot bootloader"

7. Open Device Manager (Run "devmgmt.msc")

8. Search for "Android" you will find it under "Unknown Devices"

9. Right Click --> "Update Driver Software" --> "Browse my computer for driver software" --> "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" --> Choose "Android Bootloader Interface"

10. Start "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" as Admin and type: "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

11: !WARNING!: If you reboot your decive, it will automatically install Stock Recovery! So don't reboot your phone. Take out the battery and insert it again. Now go directly into the Recovery mode (Power Button + Vol. UP Button)

12. Now you can install your Custom Rom. I would prefer TWRP 2.8.5.0 as Recovery and CyanogenMod 12.1 as Rom. You can install all Custom Roms from KonstaT with TWRP 2.8.5.0. After you installed a new Custom Rom, you can restart your device and the Custom Recovery will stay.

If you want to install Stock recovery to install Stock Rom you have to open Minimal ADB and Fastboot and type all the commands you need. ("adb reboot bootloader" --> "fastboot flash recovery STOCKrecovery.img")

Guest KonstaT

I think you misunderstood me. I absolutely don't want to blame you for anything! I was pissed off, because all of my files get lost and I waste a lot of time for that, but I don't want to say that it is your fault! I am thankful for this awesome Rom! And finally I did it. :D

3. Download and install UniversalAdbDriver (http://download.clockworkmod.com/test/UniversalAdbDriverSetup.msi)

It seems you've misunderstood me as well. I guess my dry sarcasm doesn't translate that well. ;)

I'm glad you found the right drivers and even bothered to write a guide. :) I did check UniversalAdbDriver sources earlier and AFAICT it shouldn't support 18d1:d00d. But hey, if it works...

Guest Kramus

It seems you've misunderstood me as well. I guess my dry sarcasm doesn't translate that well. ;)

I'm glad you found the right drivers and even bothered to write a guide. :) I did check UniversalAdbDriver sources earlier and AFAICT it shouldn't support 18d1:d00d. But hey, if it works...

I have already understood your sarcasm. People often say, that you are a little bit cynical.

Well maybe they update UniversalAdbDriver and support now 18d1:d00d. At least it works for me and maybe it will work for other people too.

Guest eb16369

Tried on Skinny V811. when typed in fastboot boot recovery thing nothing came up on my screen. i followed all instructions. could you make a youtube video for the android skinny v811 or just the zte v811? its just a bit hard to understand. Thank you

Guest KonstaT

Tried on Skinny V811. when typed in fastboot boot recovery thing nothing came up on my screen. i followed all instructions. could you make a youtube video for the android skinny v811 or just the zte v811? its just a bit hard to understand. Thank you

Sure, send me a Skinny V811 and I'll make video for you. Or maybe you could sponsor me plain tickets to New Zealand and I'll come buy one instead... :P

Method described in the OP is no different than on pretty much any 'regular' Android device (i.e. any Nexus device). You boot your device to bootloader and use fastboot to flash/boot a recovery image. This is Android hacking 101. You shouldn't be doing any of this if this is too difficult to understand.

I'm sure the fastboot command returned something! Since you can't even provide this information, it's quite impossible to do anything to help you.

Guest kai456

Hello,

what´s wrong?

My ZTE Open C says:

"This package is for device: kis3: this device is open_c."

"Installation aborted"

When trying to install cm-12.1-20150520-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3.

Thank you

Guest KonstaT

Hello,

what´s wrong?

My ZTE Open C says:

"This package is for device: kis3: this device is open_c."

"Installation aborted"

When trying to install cm-12.1-20150520-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3.

Thank you

Why are you posting to this ClockWorkMod thread when you're not even using this CWM. You're clearly using a wrong recovery image.

Important. Prerequisites!!! You need to install Android KitKat on your Open C first (e.g. EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip - [mirror] will do). You also need to have this ClockWorkMod or this TWRP recovery installed.

Guest KonstaT

Yes, there must be something I do not understand.

What is the correct  (this?) CWM.

Thank you.

LOL, the one that's on the first post of this thread of course. Not some ancient/broken CWM you found on XDA (or somewhere else).

Guest KonstaT

i tried these from the first topic:

recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-kis3.zip (CWM/TWRP flashable)
md5:a1eb8af7d8e2606df9eaa7734c180076

recovery-cwm6051-kis3.img
md5:3571bf70f64e59fb73d8f1f229158d1c

no doubt.

No you didn't. Stop lying. ;) You used a recovery that has 'ro.build.product=open_c' and I've never even built, let alone released, such recovery.

Try again using the correct recovery image this time.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT
39 minutes ago, karl472 said:

After reboot bootloader command, phone turns just off and I can't move to the next step. Any help?

It doesn't turn off, that's the bootloader. You most likely need to install proper fastboot driver on your computer to get your device recognized. Please read few previous posts.

Guest KonstaT
15 hours ago, karl472 said:

Yeah, but the whole point in using fastboot is that you don't need to resort to those shady root exploits. Simply flash/boot custom recovery with fastboot in bootloader mode. Flash SuperSU zip in custom recovery if you want to gain root access in Android after that. That's how it's done on devices with unlocked/unlockable bootloader.

Hi

A few days ago I was struggling with fastboot drivers (window sucks) and, out of curiosity, i tried rooting my Kis 3 with Kingroot. Surprisingly enough, it worked.

Now, since I have different su binaries, I was wondering if I could flash clockworkmod and cyanogen 12.1 without any issues?

Guest KonstaT
10 hours ago, frnt said:

Hi

A few days ago I was struggling with fastboot drivers (window sucks) and, out of curiosity, i tried rooting my Kis 3 with Kingroot. Surprisingly enough, it worked.

Now, since I have different su binaries, I was wondering if I could flash clockworkmod and cyanogen 12.1 without any issues?

Yes, no problem. Having 'root' (administrative access) is always something related to running an operating system. Custom recovery is a mini-OS with root access. Also CM has built in root access management. Your current ROM (and su binaries along with it) will be actually overwritten if/when you flash a custom ROM.

Edited by KonstaT

2 hours ago, KonstaT said:

Yes, no problem. Having 'root' (administrative access) is always something related to running an operating system. Custom recovery is a mini-OS with root access. Also CM has built in root access management. Your current ROM (and su binaries along with it) will be actually overwritten if/when you flash a custom ROM.

Gotcha, thanks man.

I assume I should use Flashify or ROM Manager to flash recovery now?

Edit - okay, scratch that, it worked, I'm running 5.1.1 now and oh god it's gorgeous.

I lost root though.

Root checker says im not rooted. I guess I can simply flash the su package now?

I already set the root access in dev settings to apps and adb btw

Edited by frnt

Guest KonstaT
4 hours ago, frnt said:

Gotcha, thanks man.

I assume I should use Flashify or ROM Manager to flash recovery now?

Edit - okay, scratch that, it worked, I'm running 5.1.1 now and oh god it's gorgeous.

I lost root though.

Root checker says im not rooted. I guess I can simply flash the su package now?

I already set the root access in dev settings to apps and adb btw

You can. Fastboot still recommended, though.

Did you follow installation instructions where it says the following?

On 4/2/2015 at 5:55 PM, KonstaT said:

8. if/when recovery asks to fix root - choose no

Selecting that option or flashing SuperSU in recovery will only break the CM's built in root access management.

Edited by KonstaT

33 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

You can. Fastboot still recommended, though.

Did you follow installation instructions where it says the following?

Selecting that option or flashing SuperSU in recovery will only break the CM's built in root access management.

Well im dumb, i think i picked yes.

Should I just flash superuser.zip and go with the Chainfire's supersu root management?

33 minutes ago, KonstaT said: