Hudl 2 Rooting

Guest aerostar

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi AeroStar,

Are your drivers installed correctly, and Hudl2 in DeveloperMode....?? I don't have a Hudl2 too try this with at the moment....

Just I was the first to suggest Kingo back when Hudl v1 came out, and was told it doesn't / wouldn't work before I had chance to get one. Then as others found out, and when finally got mine, that it did... Even with the latest patch to Hudl v1.

I'm not saying it does work, just not had chance to test yet... It could be that its now Intel based, that Kingo doesn't work...

Would love to try rooting Hudl 2, but after the Hudl v1 poor camera's, and lack of interest in rom support... I don't think I'll be jumping to the Hudl v2 any time soon.... lol

Good luck, and am interested to see how this one goes... :)

Cheers, Lister

Have just tried to root using Kingo - no luck, anyone else tried different method ?

Early days yet I know.

tried towelroot?

Just tried towelroot, no soap.

Can confirm that Kingo doesn't do it either, and all my drivers/settings are as required.

Will have to wait for those more savvy than I alas.

Edited by mbalax

Guest PaulOBrien

I have bricked mine annoyingly due to this - http://www.modaco.com/topic/373626-bootloader-issue/.

I actually managed to try a few things, I fastboot flashed the data partition with an EXT4 image containing a /data/local.prop with the QEMU line, which worked (I could see the local.prop), but annoyingly it didn't give the expected root ADB prompt.

Since fastboot flash appears to be enabled, I then rebuilt the system partition as an EXT4 image and flashed that, unfortunately it appears it wanted a sparse image, as it gave an error and now won't boot. I've built a sparse image, but I can't flash it due to the bootloader issue linked above, and I don't want to risk another hudl2 doing the same thing.

FRUSTRATING!

P

For reference, VROOT (http://www.mgyun.com/en/getvroot) also fails to root - interesting thing is, about 3/4's of the way through, the hudl brings up a bootloader backup/restore screen and asks if you confirm that a full restore download from the PC is authorised (or words to that effect), also got prompted a couple of times by hudl asking if I'd agree to let Google keep checking file system integrity for malicious activity!  :wacko:

Got a warning about touching it from the PC while VROOT was running, so tried again without occasionally refreshing the hudl's screen so I could see what was going on, but no dice.  :ninja:

I personally wouldn't touch any of those Chinese rooting apps with a ten foot barge pole. You don't know what they are doing. 

You could say that of anything where you can't exmine the source code (or shall we say, it's not freely available as a download or located on a GitHub) ..... but it all depends on your appliaction / requirement and comfort level I suppose.

Previous work involved examining 'alternative network hardware' and suppliers shall we say, from similar Far Eastern places, low and behold one of the companies examined that makes these now rivels some of the biggest companies in the west (anyone heard of Huawei?).

Recent history has also shown people have more to be concerned with 'local agencies' activities when it comes to questionable conduct.

Anyway ........

According to this conversation (again open channels so you have to believe what you want from it) there's also a special Intel 'engineering' build of KitKat for Bay Trail that can be easily rooted (if it doesn't already come as a root image) along with some nice Windows utils (referenced from a different source) from what I've discovered, but they're currently only available within Intel circles and it's partnered manufactures or from Intel and they're currently under tight control.

With the increased production of Bay Trail powered tablets, it's just a waiting game before some of the utils are leaked. Utils which I'm sure will aide rooting / imaging or both.  :ninja: