How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest opensauce

okay couple of things

1) if you see okay on droid boot until adb confirms finished-it's still doing rom

2) permission error is to do with how the file system is mounted, I have solved this with

NextApp SDFix

Permission Fix

Reboot

busybox smart install should now work

Guest Desolutional

okay couple of things

1) if you see okay on droid boot until adb confirms finished-it's still doing rom

2) permission error is to do with how the file system is mounted, I have solved this with

NextApp SDFix

Permission Fix

Reboot

busybox smart install should now work

Does this mean /system can be mounted as R/W too?

Guest arnookie

Will root effect update? Should we wait for new root and will we need to somehow go back to original unrooted rom to update?

Do you see no way of unlocking boot loader Paul after your meeting with tesco?

Guest Desolutional

Will root effect update? Should we wait for new root and will we need to somehow go back to original unrooted rom to update?

Do you see no way of unlocking boot loader Paul after your meeting with tesco?

Best practice is to wait until Paul provides an updated /system image (though I'm faffing about with Linux dd and cat at the moment).

Guest speakeasy

Received the OTA but (predictably) it wouldn't install.

I'll wait in breathless antici . . . . . . . . . . . . pation for a solution from your good self.

Also, much kudos to you for you arranging to meet with the hudl team.

Guest Desolutional

Received the OTA but (predictably) it wouldn't install.

I'll wait in breathless antici . . . . . . . . . . . . pation for a solution from your good self.

Also, much kudos to you for you arranging to meet with the hudl team.

Even if you update you will lose root. I suppose you could try reflashing the original rooted image and uninstalling root and SuperSU, then updating.

Linux, ettercap-GTK and Wireshark (oh, and I had better not forget Google) are our friends:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/05/ettercap-tutorial/

Not quite, actually. Tesco's update server is HTTPS so you will have to do SSL MITM, create root certificates, import them onto the device and all that. I forget the name but there's one SSL MITM proxy that makes it very easy and doesn't require wireshark.

I did it a few months ago and noticed that it was phoning home to Tesco every time you woke the tablet up.

Edited by sorc

Guest speakeasy

Even if you update you will lose root. I suppose you could try reflashing the original rooted image and uninstalling root and SuperSU, then updating.

I'm patient.  I'm happy to wait for a new image.

Any time today would be great :-)

Guest Squelch

Here is an interesting factoid.

I had previously rooted using Pauls image, and then installed the tools I wanted that required root. Later, and to pre-empt the Jan 5th update, I factory reset. However, I did reinstall SuperSU, esexplorer et al, and found I still had root priviledges. Having become accustomed to it, I never gave it a second thought.

I now have the update, and naturally enough root is gone, but no other ill effects. The point is, that root priveldges persisted after the reset without me realising the importance of that. Maybe someone else could verify that? I only wish I been mindful to check the filesystem as root when the update alert came in.

I hope this information is helpful to those that are able to do more with it.

Edited by Squelch

Guest Desolutional

A factory reset won't take out root.  It wipes user data.

Yep, and when you actually "get rid of root", what you're doing is deleting the "permanent" apps inside the /system directory. The /system directory is never wiped when doing a factory reset. If you break anything in /system, a factory reset won't help. That's why you should never uninstall any system apps on the Hudl 2 if you're planning on updating it.

Guest r00tmydevices

Hi.

Purchased a Hudl 2 over a month ago with intension of rooting and using Android for the first time. Fully charged tablet, switched on, started going through initial set-up process, connected to wifi then came to an abrupt stop on the 'updates are available' screen as the only option is to tap 'download'. Switched tablet off then on. Came to same screen. At this stage I am unsure of the software version number the tablet currently has and my concern was if I went ahead and updated the software, that it may prevent me from being able to root.

Will be using a Windows 7 desktop PC to perform my first, of many I hope, root!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Depends when we are talking about and if you have every actually finished the initial hudl2 setup process?

Any new hudl2 that's setup from this week, will automatically receive the latest OTA update as the final part of the whole hudl2 setup process AFAIK.

As such, would need to wait for an updated manipulated system image from Paul or another before you could gain root.

:ninja:

Edited by Guest

Just to clarify for the curious -

I've been running the rooted system image supplied by Paul in this post - allowed the hudl2 to download and attempt to install the latest OTA update, this fails in my case due to 'build.prop' integrity check - I'd changed the dpi to 240.

On android update screen selected 'Reboot system' and I'm back fully working to where I was before, still have valid root / configuration etc just not on the latest build.

I'm not in any form of OTA update loop!

Edited by Guest

Guest r00tmydevices

Depends when we are talking about and if you have every actually finished the initial hudl2 setup process?

Any new hudl2 that's setup from this week, will automatically receive the latest OTA update as the final part of the whole hudl2 setup process AFAIK.

As such, would need to wait for an updated manipulated system image from Paul or another before you could gain root.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Can't seem to find exact date that my Hudl 2 was purchased but from memory was around mid December. I've never completed the initial setup. I twice switched it off when I reached 'download' updates screen and not switched it on since.

Guest PaulOBrien

New update rooted, image uploading now.

If you are on a previous release the process is to accept and apply the OTA, then re-root as you did originally.

P