How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest r00tmydevices

XPosed framework is epic, especially GravityBox (install XPosed first then installthe GravityBox module).  Google will tell you all you need to know.

Nova is a great launcher (just download from Play Store).

ES File Explorer

VLC (plays almost any media file)

NavFree (free satnav)

Google News (news)

Pulse

Enjoy :-)

Thanks for above info.

Guest r00tmydevices

Paul you are correct If you unplug wifi it will boot as normal without wanting update. :0)

This was the reason why I have not set up nor rooted my Hudl 2 yet. Because I got to the OTA updates screen and there's no option to skip it. You can only tap 'download' or switch the tablet off like I did. Also considered switching home wifi connection off, tapping 'download' just to see if that would get me past this screen without downloading the updates but didn't get round to it. Then read that Paul had created a new version of the firmware that worked with the new January OTA updates.

Presumably if you bypass these updates, root your Hudl 2 then later install the updates, root will be lost and then you'll have to root again using new yesterdays firmware? So in my case, I should install updates first then root with latest firmware? Sorry if that seems like a really silly question but I'd sooner double check rather than rush ahead only to face further problems afterwards.

Switched tablet on today (it was fully charged from new around a month ago), it displayed a couple of graphic icons, played part of the startup sound then switched itself off! Had it on charge for past 4 hours or so before I attempt anything else.

Guest Normola

Paul you are correct If you unplug wifi it will boot as normal without wanting update. :0)

Worth a go then @normola!

P

Think I've already tried this.  Just asks you to 'Check Wifi Connection' and won't let you progress.  Will give it another go though.

Edited by Normola

OTA and re-root went like a dream, thanks Paul for walking us through all this!

Best of all my device now has smooooooth scrolling, last time around there were occasional judders but now I can pretend I have a high end machine :)

Thanks again :)

Guest arnookie

I skipped the first update when I first got my hudle 2 by just unplugging my router. (After it kept asking to do one on first boot up) It didn't even ask again about update and booted normally.

Edited by arnookie

Guest PaulOBrien

Think I've already tried this.  Just asks you to 'Check Wifi Connection' and won't let you progress.  Will give it another go though.

Make sure you leave the wifi router on, just unplug it from wherever it's getting the Internet. ;)

P

Guest packetlos

Make sure you leave the wifi router on, just unplug it from wherever it's getting the Internet. ;)

P

Hi Paul, 

I'm in the same position, stuck in the update loop. This doesnt work as the hudl 2 detects the loss of the connection.

Guest Normola

P

No joy I'm afraid.

post-705999-14219617258225_thumb.jpg

Edited by Normola

Guest SavageCore

especially GravityBox

Wow! Thanks for mentioning that. 

So glad to have Quick unlock back on my lockscreen haha

Status bar settings are really awesome too

5GtnPke.png?1

Guest stevehudl2

Thanks for the info Paul, it cleared a few things up for me.

Regarding not being able to flash the image, yes I have extracted the file.

I've tried it with its default name and tried it with a shorter name given by me and no later what i try it refuses to flash giving an downloaded file size error.

I've seen others with this issue but nothing about how they fixed it

Guest targetbsp

Are you sure it's an error?  I got something up about a max file size.  But I just left it on screen and after a while it started the whole flashing thing.  I think it was more of a FYI than an error.

Also, windows android drivers really are a pain the backside!  Thanks to whoever posted the pda.net thign earlier.  I tried just about everything else in this thread first without success.  But pda.net worked.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest glossywhite

Wow! Thanks for mentioning that. 

So glad to have Quick unlock back on my lockscreen haha

Status bar settings are really awesome too

5GtnPke.png?1

^ Lol. Google have only JUST learned these important attributes of UX, and yet they talk about it like it's been part of their philosophy from the beginning - LOL! I think we can all remember what Android was like pre-4.X ... now Google are just attempting to mimmick Apple, pretending to "have good design in out DNA", hoping noone will notice what a load of crap they're talking. Yes, their designs are MUCH better now, but come ON Google - you're fooling noone - you're only JUST improving, whereas Apple have trounced you for many a year, and it wasn't exactly hard.

You don't hear Apple walking around showboating like this, because they KNOW they're good at UI and UX - they have nothing to prove.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest r00tmydevices

After discovering the battery on my Hudl 2 had practically died this afternoon, plugged it into the mains. Held the power button in to switch it off, thinking this may speed up the required time to reach 100% charge. Checked some six hours later and still battery seemed so low that it could not even manage to get through the opening startup animation and audio! Unplugged mains charger. Re-connected charger, switched it on and left it on this time. Fully charged by the time I checked on it some four hours of so later.

Installed new updates (247MB) without issue. Enabled USB debugging. Have downloaded root image from first post of this thread for my firmware 20150106.154003 (r1) plus ADB Fast Boot Tools. Just to double check Paul, did you update the links in first post on page one of this thread with the new root images for January OTA updates or was that on the separate Jan OTA updates thread?

Will go ahead and try flashing image tomorrow.

Guest arnookie

If you look at the file date you would see its for the jan update. :o)

firmware 20150106.154003  ie 2015/01/06

Edited by arnookie

Guest Normola

P

Well, been trying to spoof the update check all night but unfortunately it's all done over https.  Not been able to even see the request being made :(

Think I'll have to admit that I won't be able to fix it unless some other way of updating comes around.  Fingers crossed for a custom recovery really.

Guest r00tmydevices

If you look at the file date you would see its for the jan update. :o)

firmware 20150106.154003 ie 2015/01/06

I can see that now, clear as rain, obviously wasn't looking close enough to the number sequence in reverse order to how we Brits write the date down, lol!

Thanks.

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Could I get some help, please?

When I attempt command: 'adb-windows reboot bootloader'

I get output: 'error: device not found'.

My device is connected (and the internal storage and SD card available in Windows) and USB debugging is enabled. My Windows version is 7. I tried setting as MTP and as PTP on the Hudl.

Edited by seanspotatobusiness

Guest r00tmydevices

Could I get some help, please?

When I attempt command: 'adb-windows reboot bootloader'

I get output: 'error: device not found'.

My device is connected (and the internal storage and SD card available in Windows) and USB debugging is enabled. My Windows version is 7. I tried setting as MTP and as PTP on the Hudl.

Have you tried launching command prompt as Admin? Think I read this as a suggestion to another members problem earlier in this long thread?

Have you tried launching command prompt as Admin? Think I read this as a suggestion to another members problem earlier in this long thread?

Thanks for the response but I still get the same 'error: device not found'   :(

Guest r00tmydevices

Thanks for the response but I still get the same 'error: device not found'   :(

I have also just had my first failed attempt at following Paul's instructions. 

• Open a command prompt / terminal window to the location where you extracted the files

Not sure how to do this? I opened Command Prompt (searched for it in start menu then right-clicked and selected 'Run as administrator'. I then have C:\Windows\system32> displayed. Now my files were downloaded and extracted to a directory called Root within downloads directory of users on C: drive so I entered cd C:\Users\xxxx\Downloads\Root then entered 'adb-windows reboot bootloader' (without the quotes) and then receive following message:  error: device not found.

Hudl 2 is connected via microUSB, fully charged and switched on.

HELP please!

I have also just had my first failed attempt at following Paul's instructions. 

• Open a command prompt / terminal window to the location where you extracted the files

Not sure how to do this? I opened Command Prompt (searched for it in start menu then right-clicked and selected 'Run as administrator'. I then have C:\Windows\system32> displayed. Now my files were downloaded and extracted to a directory called Root within downloads directory of users on C: drive so I entered cd C:\Users\xxxx\Downloads\Root then entered 'adb-windows reboot bootloader' (without the quotes) and then receive following message:  error: device not found.

Hudl 2 is connected via microUSB, fully charged and switched on.

HELP please!

So you're in the same place as me then?

Are you using Windows 7 and did you enable USB debugging?