How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

First time I have turned my Hudl2 on for a couple of months now.  The OTA update failed (build.prop issue) and so I decided just to download the rooted img file from Paul and install it via fastboot.  Worked a treat. All of my existing apps still in place, root working as it should and took me no more than 5 minutes.  My device can now be turned off until the next update  :-) 

Thanks for the rooted image!

The only thing to note, from using your method, is your hudl2 will indeed end up with an updated 'system' partition but that's all.

If any partition updates outside of the system partition are included within the OTA issued by Tesco these will be missing from your hudl2 build i.e. any firmware, fastboot, boot, recovery updates etc.

Ths is one of the reasons why reflashing your current build with it's associated rooted build image from Paul, would have allowed you to apply the OTA update in the normal way (it would have corrected any system file changes that the OTA was failing on), then flash the latest rooted build image from Paul - this method ensures 'the rest' of the hudl2 is updated not only the 'system' partition.

Just a thought.

:ninja:

Guest seanspotatobusiness

You don't have a fastboot driver.  Have a look at the discussion between rootmydevices and me, particularly with regards to pda.net

I was following your discussion and installed pda.net successfully but nonetheless I get < waiting for device > and nothing further happens. I'll try in on my laptop.

Guest r00tmydevices

I was following your discussion and installed pda.net successfully but nonetheless I get < waiting for device > and nothing further happens. I'll try in on my laptop.

Did you get a couple of popup messages on your H2 screen, to which you have to agree and tap 'OK'? In device manager on your computer, is there still a yellow exclamation mark beside your H2? If so, have you clicked on it to highlight it, then right-click and select update driver, then navigate to the various drivers that hopefully you downloaded from the other link targetbsp posted earlier for Hurl 2 drivers?

Did you get a couple of popup messages on your H2 screen, to which you have to agree and tap 'OK'? In device manager on your computer, is there still a yellow exclamation mark beside your H2? If so, have you clicked on it to highlight it, then right-click and select update driver, then navigate to the various drivers that hopefully you downloaded from the other link targetbsp posted earlier for Hurl 2 drivers?

The only message I can recall on the Hudl was to allow a debugging connection to the computer and indeed I did allow it. The pda.net also installed onto the Hudl.

On my desktop I installed the drivers via Windows Device Manager first and then PDA.net. On my laptop I installed the PDA.net software first and there were no exclamation triangles in Device Manager so I didn't install the other drivers.

On my laptop I get the following result.

C:\adbfastboothudl>adb-windows reboot bootloader
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device unauthorized. Please check the confirmation dialog on your device.

C:\adbfastboothudl>adb-windows reboot bootloader

C:\adbfastboothudl>fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system system.hudl2.rooted.2
0150106.154003.ONLY.r1
< waiting for device >
error: cannot open 'system.hudl2.rooted.20150106.154003.ONLY.r1'

C:\adbfastboothudl>fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system system.hudl2.rooted.2
0150106.154003.ONLY.r1
error: cannot open 'system.hudl2.rooted.20150106.154003.ONLY.r1'
Edited by seanspotatobusiness

The reason it's not working it due to your rsa fingerprint key not working or being recognised. When you plugged your hudl2 into your pc, did you get a message pop up on the screen of the hudl2 saying something like rsa fingerprint key : allow this device? Until you can get that dialog box up on your hudl2 screen, your flashing attempts will never work.

Guest r00tmydevices

Something else you could try, although it might not necessarily be the cure to your problem is to rename your firmware .img file to something simpler such as 'root' (without quotes). Whilst I was struggling, it just crossed my mind having system command then system as part of file name beside one another in command prompt might not be helping things. Did me no harm renaming mine.

Guest r00tmydevices

The reason it's not working it due to your rsa fingerprint key not working or being recognised. When you plugged your hudl2 into your pc, did you get a message pop up on the screen of the hudl2 saying something like rsa fingerprint key : allow this device? Until you can get that dialog box up on your hudl2 screen, your flashing attempts will never work.

Think you're spot on. That is at least one of the popup window messages on H2 screen that I was referring to. I think I had 2, possibly even three? Each had to be confirmed before progressing

You're talking about the debugging dialogue, right? I allowed this for both my desktop and laptop. That's not the problem.

Something else you could try, although it might not necessarily be the cure to your problem is to rename your firmware .img file to something simpler such as 'root' (without quotes). Whilst I was struggling, it just crossed my mind having system command then system as part of file name beside one another in command prompt might not be helping things. Did me no harm renaming mine.

I tried that and it still says it can't open the file :(

I'm talking about the adb rsa fingerprint dialogue. This HAS to be allowed on your hudl2 when plugged into your pc, otherwise you will not be able to flash anything. Did you put a tick in "always allow this device"?

Edited by 4L0M

No. I'm not talking about USB debugging. I'm talking about the adb rsa fingerprint dialogue. This HAS to be allowed on your hudl2 when plugged into your pc, otherwise you will not be able to flash anything.

If a dialogue came up asking to allow access by my computer I said yes. I don't remember the letter combination 'adb rsa' but I still think it's the USB debugging thing. To reiterate, I'm not saying that I activated USB debugging in settings (which I did and which I think you think I'm referring to), I confirmed the USB debugging dialogue on the Hudl which gives something looking like a MAC address or IPV6 address. I'm pretty sure that's the same think you're referring to, but we've both latched onto different words in the dialogue.

Also, if I hadn't enabled 'adb rsa' would it have been possible to reboot into the bootloader using the first command?

Hi mate. Yes, sorry, I edited my wording in my post. I'm still convinced judging by what you have posted that this is the reason you cannot get the image to flash. I have no idea what version of Windows you have tried this on, but if you search Google for adb rsa fingerprint key not read, then you will be able to find where your key is currently stored on your version of Windows. You can delete this key and then try again. The dialogue should reappear for you. Make sure you put a tick in "always allow this computer". Good luck!

Out of curiosity, if you can boot into bootloader. Leave the bootloader screen on your hudl2, then go to device manager on your pc whilst in bootloader mode and see if any unknown devices are listed.

Out of curiosity, if you can boot into bootloader. Leave the bootloader screen on your hudl2, then go to device manager on your pc whilst in bootloader mode and see if any unknown devices are listed.

There are no unknown devices (per se) listed on either my laptop or desktop but on my desktop (whilst in the bootloader) there is Android-Phone which has a yellow warning triangle and windows says that drivers are not installed. It doesn't accept any of the drivers in Hudl2Drivers.zip for that device when I attempt to "update driver". I guess that accounts for the different sticking points on my laptop and desktop and I'll proceed with my laptop from this point on.

I'm using Windows 7 btw.

I'll try deleting my ADB RSA fingerprint key next. Thanks for the suggestions.

On the Android phone with exclamation mark, you can right click it, choose update driver, choose browse this pc, then select let me choose from a list of devices.

Then see if you have any adb or Android related drivers in the list. If you do, see if you can choose it.

Once you select the correct driver for Android phone with exclamation mark in device manager when in fastboot mode, the rsa key will again pop up on your hudl2. You will then be able to flash the rom image.

Edited by 4L0M

Guest stevehudl2

I have just rooted, thanks paul!

no more downloaded file size errors, everything went though as it should.

A note to anyone doing this, be very very very very very very patient! I had been waiting over 20 mins and wondering if it was done and should unplug and reboot but I was cautious and waited.

Do not unplug until the command prompt window on your PC says finished (no matter how long you think its been) and the command prompt will accept further commands and your hudl says okay at the bottom left corner of the screen.

During the process, at the bottom left corner, Your hudl will say download and a bunch of numbers and stay like that for ages then say okay for a bit then it will say download and some more numbers again for a while longer and eventually settle on okay for good when its done.

Another sign its done is that the vol up and down menu selection in the bootloader screen will not do anything whilst its busy (I don't recommend messing with the power button!) but will become active again once its done.

In all I would say it took 30 mins to complete on my device and prehistoric laptop, others may find its faster but my point is that even if its taken absolutely ages, and your hard drive has stopped going mad like it does in the beginning, its not finished, do not unplug!

Once again thank you Mr Paul, you have given us what nobody else could, got my fingers, toes and everything else that can be crossed that you will crack the bootloader or find a way to install a second one like on the kindle fire 2.

Hey. I got it to work on my laptop. The problem there was that I wasn't including the file extension .img, the reason being that I have Windows set to hide known extensions and for some reason the original file name includes .r1 so I thought .r1 was the extension.

Guest r00tmydevices

Hey. I got it to work on my laptop. The problem there was that I wasn't including the file extension .img, the reason being that I have Windows set to hide known extensions and for some reason the original file name includes .r1 so I thought .r1 was the extension.

That's strange as I have file extensions hidden under Windows 7 and whilst I did enter the .img at the end of my firmware file name (which was simply 'root') in command prompt. I had not renamed the firmware as root.img and it that worked for me.

Glad you persevered and finally managed to root your H2. Now the fun begins...

Guest packetlos

Well, after some fiddling I've managed to find a way around the forced update for a first time install.

I'd just like to say thanks to you Normola for figuring this out, it has got me out of a bind.  :)

Guest Normola

I'd just like to say thanks to you Normola for figuring this out, it has got me out of a bind. :)

No problem.

Similar to some (really) old school methods of breaking out of kiosk mode on PCs back in the day. Nostalgic [emoji14]

Edited by Normola

Guest Bisonator

Bit nervous here.

Followed instructions and just ran this command in adb: fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system root.img

got this so far:

target reported max download size of 1261379584 bytes

sending sparse 'system' <1219395 KB>...

OKAY [ 67.709s]

writing 'system'...

OKAY [55.417s]

sending sparse 'system' <51964 KB>...

and it's been stuck like that for about 10 mins now...

Anyone know if this has failed or is it possible it's still working?

Thanks

B

It can take a while as its sending via usb etc upto about 30 mins isn't uncommon.

When the command prompt returns to allow you to type - means it's finished, also on the hudl2 screen you should see it counting up.

Guest Bisonator

Hi CaptainMidnight

Thanks for your comments.

It's been sat there like this for about an hour now and I can't see anything counting on the hudl2 screen.

I can see a green-sectioned activity bar slowly scrolling right to left and Hudl2 screen says 'CMD(download:032bf160)...' in bottom left and 'RECEIVE DATA...' above that.

Is it possible my USB connection has failed somehow during this process? It's weird that first send was ok and the second appears stuck.

Yeah it is possible its hung up. You should see a counter (from memory) in the bottom left counting up.

Can you change the top menu selection on your hudl2 by pressing the vol +/- keys?