Guest PaulOBrien

hi paul yes 'filename.img'

first command reboots to loader then the 2nd part error as shown below

C:\Users\james\Desktop\New folder (5

fillename.img

error: cannot open 'filename.img'

i followed the instructions so i dont know where im going wrong

You nearly followed the instructions...

ON A WINDOWS PC: enter 'adb-windows reboot bootloader', when the device has rebooted to bootloader enter 'fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system filename.img' - DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS (where filename.img is the image file you extracted from the download zip)

:)

P

Guest eagle 36

hi paul ive tried always but still the same  would anyone be willing to youtube a little video of how to flash and root the hudl 2

i must be missing something ive followed everything to the letter

many thanks for all your help guys

Hmmm, I got a permissions popup on the device for connecting to the computer, but after I go through the hoops I get this on it:

E:installer device ignored

FASTBOOT INIT...

FASTBOOT CMD WAITING...

E:No valid installer medium found.

And the comman prompt states

< waiting for device >

Is it a driver issue? If so, where do I get the appropriate drivers from please?

I did try following this to get me the drivers which seemed to work:

http://donandroid.com/how-to-install-adb-interface-drivers-windows-7-xp-vista-623

Paul etc, any ideas on this please? Thinking its a driver issue as installed and can reboot but once in the fastboot part it comes up in device manager as Android Phone - Unknown Device which I think might be the problem?

Guest paulm663

Hi Paul,

Im having problems booting into the bootloader.  When i type the command 'adb-windows reboot bootloader' i get "error: device not found".  The Hudl 2 has been connected via the USB port and its in USB debug mode. Also the PC now adds the hudl as a known device on my PC, the PC running windows 8.1  and i went to the XDA forum as others have suggested and loaded the alternate driver, but the hudl doesn't show up.

My hudl is connected now .... help ????

Guest figjamuk12

Paul etc, any ideas on this please? Thinking its a driver issue as installed and can reboot but once in the fastboot part it comes up in device manager as Android Phone - Unknown Device which I think might be the problem?

Yeah, definitely drivers!

Not sure where best to get them for Windows... anyone?

P

Hi Paul,

Im having problems booting into the bootloader.  When i type the command 'adb-windows reboot bootloader' i get "error: device not found".  The Hudl 2 has been connected via the USB port and its in USB debug mode. Also the PC now adds the hudl as a known device on my PC, the PC running windows 8.1  and i went to the XDA forum as others have suggested and loaded the alternate driver, but the hudl doesn't show up.

My hudl is connected now .... help ????

Please see my previous post here.

However this does not work with windows 8, you will need a windows 7 machine, this installed my drivers with 1 click and the flash then worked like a charm...

Edited by figjamuk12

However this does not work with windows 8, you will need a windows 7 machine, this installed my drivers with 1 click and the flash then worked like a charm...

Awesome! Hope this works, will test tonight thanks.

Sadly, it doesn't help as the utility says I already have the adb driver installed and ok. It detects the Hudl to start with, it is when it reboots into the Droidboot menu that I get the errors I mentioned and the PC says it is an unknown device. I think it needs drivers for that too?

Guest eagle 36

i to am stumped ive tried evrything to flash the image with no luck i get as far as the bootloader then error like i said above im on windows 8.1 i dont know if this is the problem or are there drivers i need bump

Aha! It is doing something!

I forced the Android Device (in device manager) to install - 'Android Bootloader Interface drivers' from 'android_winusb.inf' and it's succeeded.

Thanks Paul!

Edited by nrps1

Guest paulm663

Thanks for trying for us paul, by the look of this it seam's that sum hudl's just won't be rooted... I need a game killer amongst other things, have u any idea on wot I can get to do the same job but on an unrooted unit... Thanks again, paulm663

Guest sassigeek

Hi

I've been trying to get this to work on my beloved hudl 2 (can't wait to run xposed) but try as I might I can't get the drivers to work properly. Im running windows 8.1 which I believe may be the problem? Normally in this situation I would just use windows compatibility feature and set it to say windows 7 and it ran successfully! This hasn't been the case in this situation. I just wanted to confirm I im on the right track with this and that it must be windows 7? I don't want to download and install windows 7 unless I absolutely have too?.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jussie.

Thanks Paul now fully rooted - waited for the rooted build update, as I had already installed the 9MB OTA update.

As ever your instructions in the 1st post were spot on.  :)

thx paul for all your hard work in making the rooting possible im sure we will all get there in the end

Did you read Paul's reply and did you understand it?

If you did you should now be either rooted or have a different error/issue that I can't seem to find you've posted from the sea of post updates I've read? The last issue you've reported is about the filename.img issue - where are you now stuck?

Guest eagle 36

hi im now rooted it was my own fault for not reading the reply paul gave sorry paul many thanks for working on a root and thanks everybody for helping me out :)

Guest droid_user

When you meet the developers, as well as congratulating them on a generally well-received device, would you very kindly ask them whether they plan to upgrade it to Lollipop?  I ask because the limited internal storage of the Hudl 2, plus KitKat's restrictions on using the SD card, make a pretty toxic combination.  This is easily the device's most disappointing feature for me. 

Oh, and changelogs would be nice too.

I agree "nybor" just because Google want us all to be cloud based doesn't mean we should not be allowed to use our SD slot as we choose.

Guest droid_user

Not wanting to root but I am wanting to allow "more use" of the SD card.

I did want to explore the option of moving stuff to the SD but they seem "I'm non rooted" remember to have locked things down on several levels and angles. Using the SD was easy enough as there is an option within the stock settings. See Fig 1. Tesco seem to have somehow blocked this or perhaps it is KitKat.

However I did find a link to the adb drivers I needed on Windows 7.

http://athena.outer-reaches.com/wp/index.php/archives/1170 (Use at your own risk - but it allowed me to use the adb)

This driver has been updated for the Hudl2 but was created for the Hudl1

I can see where Tesco are coming from. They want to sell it it Grannies to buy their shopping on line and for it to be an out of store outpost to upsell all things Tesco. They don't want the Tesco apps being removed or an SD being removed to cause any errors etc.

The Go launcher - I used to get the Tesco stuff out of my face.
They do seem to have a disable option - i have not seen in the Cubot.

Hiding stuff is better then nothing but not the same as removing stuff - though there are risks involved in rooting!

I have noticed some other mention this too:

the limited internal storage of the Hudl 2, plus KitKat's restrictions on using the SD card, make a pretty toxic combination.  This is easily the device's most
disappointing feature for me. 

http://www.modaco.com/topic/373642-how-to-root-your-hudl-2/?p=2236229

Guest droid_user

Can't say i've used the SD slot yet, but what is the problem with SD card access and Kitkat? 

This seems to be the issue: I think the easy fixes require you to be rooted which for HUDL2 is early days.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2014/oct/09/how-can-i-get-android-kitkat-to-work-with-my-sd-cards

http://gs4.wonderhowto.com/how-to/bypass-sd-card-restrictions-android-4-4-kitkat-your-galaxy-s4-0152036/

http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

2 opposing comments from the above post - I cant help thinking the monetise storage has more resonance for me than the security argument.

It is really about an unfit architecture in my opinion. Were all devices and OS version folder and file permission capable the situation would not be as it is now. In the '80s they designers of FAT (and its revisions) were not trying to build a multi-user, global, internet & network capable, infinitely scalable OS with all of the security issues that are now better understood. 

Anti changes bjb68 " " People use Android devices because they want to add storage or change out the battery...things Apple will not allow. Want all of your music on your iPhone. No problem! Just be willing to shell out an exorbitant amount of $$ for the 32GB model. Whereas on a Droid, just buy a $50 SD card and pop it in.

Google wants to monetize storage. Get us all using Google Drive, i.e. "The Cloud" and then when everything we need and love is stored on "The Cloud" bend us over and empty our pockets. The OEM manufacturers are merely giving Droid users what they want. While Google, the supposed gods of open source, are trying to lock stuff down and build a monopoly.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Droid. You will never see me with an iPhone. But you are just as bad as the worst Apple fanboy if you think this KitKat lockout of SD storage is truly about Google trying to protect us." "

Pro changes movielover76 " " It's not really Google, it's the OEM who made your smartphone who didn't inform you. Google has made it's stance on SD cards very clear for years in it's nexus line, it wanted them to go away.OEMS and users choose to ignore this and google had to finally do something at the operating system level to clear up the security problem. " "

Anyone managed to get Fastboot to work with 64 Bit verison of Windows 8.1?  ADB works fine, just can't seem to get Fastboot to work.  I've tried a variety of different drivers, registry hacks to no avail.  Ta.

Guest Rich.T.

2 opposing comments from the above post - I cant help thinking the monetise storage has more resonance for me than the security argument.

"Google has made it's stance on SD cards very clear for years in it's nexus line, it wanted them to go away.OEMS and users choose to ignore this and google had to finally do something at the operating system level to clear up the security problem."

I can't help but agree with you. The bottom line is that in any commercial opperation, any decision like this has to be, before all other considerations, a profitability-based one. That's just how the system is set up. If the decision makers make their choices based upon anything other than the profit motive and those choices cause a loss of potential profits; they can and will be unceremoniously sacked. This is why Google's proffessed ethic of "Don't do Evil" should be taken with a huge bucketload of salt.

OK, rant over. ;)

I'll be getting one of these (and maybe two) within the next week or so. Assuming that I'm able to easily root it/them; what would be the next steps for me to try to get an x86 OS running on this device?

I'm thinking along the lines of a linux distro with one of the 'convergent' desktops; maybe Ubuntu's Unity or KDE's Plasma or more likely a lightweight one like LXDE with some touch style apps installed.

Is anyone thinking about this yet? What might the steps be to accomplish this? Is kernel driver support up to the job of getting a half-way usable tablet up and running?

I think that this may be off-topic and deserving of it's own thread really, but I'd be extremely interested to know if anyone is considering this approach.

Thanks,

Rich.

Edited by Rich.T.