Dull screen - Normal?

Guest tcpaulh

Guest tcpaulh

I'm on my second Hudl2. Both have had dull screens with a pretty poor attempt at white which is more grey with a slight yellow cast.

Reviews have been favourable towards the screen:-

expertreviews.co.uk

The Hudl 2's screen appears sharp and detailed with clean whites, and makes it feel like a much more expensive tablet.

techradar

That display is the first thing you're going to notice taking the Hudl 2 out of the box and it makes a great first impression. The resolution has been significantly boosted to 1920 x 1200 pixels. That's a full high definition screen that matches the Nexus 7 (2013) resolution.

Tesco Hudl 2 review
Colours are rich and vibrant, text is sharp and easy to read, and you can happily watch movies, game, or read on it for hours.

Guardian

The larger 8.3in 1080p HD screen is a big improvement with better colour saturation, wider viewing angles and is sharper, making photos, text and videos all look better.

pcpro

The 1,920 x 1,200-resolution screen uses IPS technology, and looks perfectly bright and colourful. It’s pleasingly sharp and has bags of contrast, too.

gizomodo

The 1920 x 1200 full HD display is an improvement over the first Hudl and is bright and colourful

What's yours like? What do you think of the attached pic of mine? Would you say it matches up to the review comments above? Surely tesco wouldn't bait and switch, sending decent units to reviewers then swapping to cheaper screens for the main production run. ;-o

post-244454-0-34305300-1413493078_thumb.

Guest seanspotatobusiness

I'd never thought about it before but compared to my ZTE Blade V (RRP £100 in Summer 2013) it's ever so slightly brighter and perhaps slightly yellow in sharp contrast to the definite blue white of the Blade V. My monitor (LG Flatron W2246S) can have it's colour temperature changed so I'm not sure what to set it to to compare it to that. Perhaps you can change the colour temperature of the Hudl2 but I don't suppose that will help the brightness.

It's definitely going to be useless in the sunlight but maybe okay in the shade. Fortunately it's a UK-only device; hur hur.

Edited by seanspotatobusiness

No problems with my display.  If I have it on Auto brightness then yes, the screen is dull, however, this is no different to any of my other devices.   Pump the brightness all the way up to the top and I have a brilliant white.

Guest Mark_He

Comparing it to my LG G3, I can probably see a minor difference in the whites at full brightness, but that's comparing a flagship phone to a budget tablet. Incidentally, its sunlight performance is no worse than any phone or tablet I've had, although that's damning with faint praise.

Guest state-it

Being used to Samsung AMOLED screens I find the HUDL a breath of fresh air, stepping away from the super-saturation I'm accustomed to, and the eye-burning brightness (even when adjusted down) whilst reading at night.

I'm enjoying using it as an e-reader, which I've failed to enjoy on my bigger tablet. Thanks Tesco for the free £10 for books. I might move onto another e-reader app rather than Blinkbox Books though ;)

Edited by state-it

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Being used to Samsung AMOLED screens I find the HUDL a breath of fresh air, stepping away from the super-saturation I'm accustomed to, and the eye-burning brightness (even when adjusted down) whilst reading at night.

I'm enjoying using it as an e-reader, which I've failed to enjoy on my bigger tablet. Thanks Tesco for the free £10 for books. I might move onto another e-reader app rather than Blinkbox Books though ;)

Do you have an app like Night Mode on your Samsung? It reduces brightness beyond the minimum by adding an adjustable layer of translucent grey over everything.

Guest Barneyabz

Mine is also off white more like a light cream, especially noticeable when on auto backlight. On full backlight it's bright but still not a clean white. Have you got your third replacement yet? Is it better? Trying to decide whether it's worth replacing it or if they're all the same. Some of the above posts indicate its bright when on full backlight but don't mention whether the white is clean or grey/creamy.

Edited by Barneyabz

Guest tcpaulh

The third one is pretty much the same. It's either a deliberate decision to use this type of screen or poor production control. Either way it doesn't reflect the majority of review comments.

Edited by tcpaulh

Guest Barneyabz

I'm beginning to think that most reviews are done in brightly lit offices. It's not so visible an issue when the backlight brightness is on full. So really no point in taking mine back for an exchange then! Have to decide whether to keep ands live with it or just return it then!

Guest tcpaulh

I'm beginning to think that most reviews are done in brightly lit offices. It's not so visible an issue when the backlight brightness is on full. So really no point in taking mine back for an exchange then! Have to decide whether to keep ands live with it or just return it then!

Could be but when I returned them to tesco (which has very strong lighting in store) they have a 'tech guy' who compared it to the one he had which was a very early 'pure white' version at full brightness. He agreed that mine was duller and less white. Having said that, I'm starting to think it's not such a big issue. When reading ebooks it's actually more comfortable on the eyes.

• 2 months later...
Guest arnookie

I

I'm on my second Hudl2. Both have had dull screens with a pretty poor attempt at white which is more grey with a slight yellow cast.

Reviews have been favourable towards the screen:-

expertreviews.co.uk

techradar
Tesco Hudl 2 review
Colours are rich and vibrant, text is sharp and easy to read, and you can happily watch movies, game, or read on it for hours.

Guardian

pcpro

gizomodo

What's yours like? What do you think of the attached pic of mine? Would you say it matches up to the review comments above? Surely tesco wouldn't bait and switch, sending decent units to reviewers then swapping to cheaper screens for the main production run. ;-o

Well no, its not dull its just dull if brightness is reduced at anything below 75% At 75% and above it comes very close to the most expensive screens. Compared to my note 4 it holds up against it well on full brightness. It starts to Suffer when brightness is down below 75-80%. But for this price its really a very good screen. 

Guest Desolutional

TL;DR - You have the BETTER* Hudl! :P
*Display temperature is warmer, and better for your optic health, less eye strain, ^_^

They aren't "dull" per se, but warmer; I'd love to have a warm display but I got the Hudl 2 when they were manufacturing them with cool panels. To me the white is very sharp and bright; whereas on my OPO it's warmer and calmer. I prefer my phone's display cause the cool white of my Hudl tends to cause eye strain in a dark room; then again it's user preference.

Edited by Desolutional