Hudl2 or N7 for child

Guest Andy Glasspole

Guest Andy Glasspole

Hi All, I'd like some guidance on a decision I need to make. I'm going to get a tablet mainly for my 6 year old, although my wife may use it a bit.

I've seen some good reviews for the Hudl2, and I believe it has some good parental guidance software which I presume utilises the standard restrictive profiles plus some extras. Also double clubcard vouchers makes it very cheap!!

On the other hand, I like to have up to date software and like the Nexus range. I therefore thought if I could get hold of an N7, maybe refurbished or second hand, it could be a good option. Could I set up an N7 with the same amount of parental guidance functionality as the Hudl2?

So...... Hudl or N7 for a child? What do people think?

Guest CdRsKuLL

Defo go for the hudl 2.. The parental apps are great and will save you the worry. Its all well and good having the latest OS but I think knowing your child is using a safe tablet is more important. I have both and I prefer using my hudl.. Iveninstalled google now launcher so its near enough vanilla anyway.

Its a no brainer for me!

Guest Mark_He

The parental guidance is well designed I think. The child gets access to apps installed on your account, which you can disable individually. New apps are disabled for the child unless you turn them on, and you get a notification asking you if you want to. You can also control web use through a special browser, with categories and specific white listing. You can set time limits in terms of number of hours, and start/end times (e.g. 4 hours between 8am and 8pm).

It also supports full extra accounts, but I haven't tried that yet.

Guest brackehill_mob

Thanks for your replies, very useful. I think I am leaning towards the Hudl....... But not certain yet.

I'm replacing my N7 with a Hudl2 having run both side by side for a week. I've bought 3 of these things, 2 as Christmas presents for my kids.