hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest r00tmydevices

I had an Integral branded 32GB microSD card in my H2 for almost a week. Hadn't stored anything on the card mind. Don't think I noticed any issue with device not charging with card inserted in slot and not in use. Whilst using the device with charging lead connected, the battery % didn't seem to rise although there was a round circle spinning round (I have a lollipop navigation app installed) as though it was charging. I have Nova launcher currently installed. Not noticed any icons disappearing or moving around of their own free will, ha ha!

Edited by r00tmydevices

Guest Kate on the Gate

rOOtmydevises,

Have you seen a difference when you have moved something to the card?
Also, would you mind explaining how you install (and I presume un-install) a different launcher please?

Guest Mark_He

I've actively been trying to get this bug to happen since I updated, by not turning off etc. Anyway, I "successfully" managed to reproduce it, as an overnight charge from about 33% on the tesco-supplied charger didn't shift the dial. Plugging it into my good-quality other charger caused it to start charging immediately.

So the bug is still there, but highly intermittent for me.

Guest r00tmydevices

rOOtmydevises,

Have you seen a difference when you have moved something to the card?

Also, would you mind explaining how you install (and I presume un-install) a different launcher please?

I hadn't moved anything to the 32GB card. Took it out a couple of days ago as I have a 64GB Samsung Evo I plan to use, now that I've read others have confirmed H2 does recognise memory cards with capacities bigger than 32GB (even though that is what Tesco state is the maximum!).

Goto Google Play Store. Go into apps section, search 'Nova Launcher'. Download and install. Then open. Easy as that. I think it then replaces the stock Tesco launcher (which isn't uninstalled btw, it just is no longer running. Possibly best to leave it alone in case uninstalling messes with any future OTA updates).

Hope that helps?

Guest Mark_He

Can someone explain the reason for using a different launcher. What's the advantage?

Different and/or better features, depending on your opinion. In this case, switching launcher loses the Tesco branding that the Tesco launcher had. It's up to you if you want that or not.

The launcher has zero effect on the rest of the tablet - ultimately the launcher is just another app that happens to start when you press the home button (ok, it's a little more than that, but essentially...)

Guest Kate on the Gate

I hadn't moved anything to the 32GB card. Took it out a couple of days ago as I have a 64GB Samsung Evo I plan to use, now that I've read others have confirmed H2 does recognise memory cards with capacities bigger than 32GB (even though that is what Tesco state is the maximum!).

Goto Google Play Store. Go into apps section, search 'Nova Launcher'. Download and install. Then open. Easy as that. I think it then replaces the stock Tesco launcher (which isn't uninstalled btw, it just is no longer running. Possibly best to leave it alone in case uninstalling messes with any future OTA updates).

Hope that helps?

Thankyou rOOtmydevices. Very helpful. I didn't know it took a bigger sd card either. Thanks.

Guest r00tmydevices

Thankyou rOOtmydevices. Very helpful. I didn't know it took a bigger sd card either. Thanks.

You're very welcome. I'm new on this forum and have had plenty of help from other more knowledgeable members.

Can someone explain the reason for using a different launcher. What's the advantage?

The main reason currently for using any other launcher than the default installed 'My Tesco' launcher is to stop shortcuts and icons randomly disappearing from the homescreen and ability to change / remove the left hand Tesco bloat screen. :)

Guest Marmalade

Good observation from Kate on the Gate.

I purchased my black Hudl2 in November along with 32Gb SD card and I have apps and data stored on the external card but I have not experienced the charging issue.

I did experience the icons changing and the Tesco apps reappearing so I switched to Nova launcher to cure that. Other launchers are available, just try them until you find one you like.

Recently purchased the Tesco keyboard and case and have not experienced any problems with that either.

Guest r00tmydevices

Thanks for the 'Safe Charge' app info, not had a charging issue since installing it - yes it's not an ideal solution but its a great short term fix.

Are you referring to 'Simple Battery Graph' app or a different one? Didn't see anything else mentioned on this thread.

Edited by r00tmydevices

Guest HeWhoWatches

Hmmm. Something that seemed to work for me so I didn't need the restart, but if it works it's more of a workaround than anything. If anyone has the charging issue again, they could try going to Settings > Apps > Running, finding the My Tesco item and under that forcibly stopping all of the Tesco services. I believe there were four different ones when I've tried this the last couple of times. Note that I'm using the Nova launcher app now - I'm not sure what would happen if you aren't, and as always with untested workarounds you try at your own risk.

Edit: Decided to do more testing using this method next time it happened (this morning) and wasn't able to fix without a restart.

Edited by HeWhoWatches

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Hmmm. Something that seemed to work for me so I didn't need the restart, but if it works it's more of a workaround than anything. If anyone has the charging issue again, they could try going to Settings > Apps > Running, finding the My Tesco item and under that forcibly stopping all of the Tesco services. I believe there were four different ones when I've tried this the last couple of times. Note that I'm using the Nova launcher app now - I'm not sure what would happen if you aren't, and as always with untested workarounds you try at your own risk.

Does anyone know if there's a way to stop the My Tesco app from starting these services when the Hudl is switched on? I don't need any of them so if nothing else they're a waste of resources, however minute. Will "freezing" it with Titanium Backup do this?

Edited by seanspotatobusiness

Yes, freezing with Titanium backup basically disables them and removes the bloat such as tesco bank and blink box etc from your app drawer. DO NOT delete them, just freeze them as they may need to be unfrozen in the future to install any new OTA updates.

You need the Pro version of Titanium to be able to freeze apps.

The hudl2 is quite demanding when it comes to recharging and surprisingly, the newer hudl2 supplied charger (compared with the old hudl charger) pumps out a good rate as can bee seen bellow (5.5v @ 1.5-1.7A even though it's output is rated at [email protected]) - these pictures were taken when charging a hudl2 @60% battery level. The older original hudl charger is only recorded as supplying just under 5v, but the same current levels.

Original hudl and newer hudl2 charger:

00%20-%20hudl%20and%20hudl2%20chargers.p

hudl2 charger voltage:

03%20-%20hudl2%20voltage.png

hudl2 charger current:

03%20-%20hudl2%20current.png

Original hudl charger voltage:

01%20-%20hudl%20voltage.png

Original hudl charger current:

02%20-%20hudl%20current.png

(reposted here from the January OTA feedback for Tesco thread)

Edited by Guest

Guest r00tmydevices

CaptainMidnight

Some excellent in-depth analysis there. Love the photos you've been posting up lately, makes a refreshing change whilst reading through all the text on some long threads plus can convey far easier what can sometimes be harder to get across in words.

Keep up the good work.

Edited by r00tmydevices

Guest cheese_aholic

Both my 'new' purple ones now will not charge when turned on.

I tried removing the SD card from one of them, which initially seemed to cure the problem on that one. I then removed the SC card from the second one as a test, and lo and behold the first one stopped charging!

I give up!

I'm now trying the safe charge app mentioned earlier; will report back if it works / helps...

Guest glossywhite

CaptainMidnight

Some excellent in-depth analysis there. Love the photos you've been posting up lately, makes a refreshing changing whilst reading through all the text on some long threads plus can convey far easier what can sometimes be harder to get across in words.

Keep up the good work.

I couldn't agree more regarding the use of visual media to explain things. Ten paragraphs of dreadfully formatted, mixed typeface (and often, primary school grammar) do nothing to aid clarity; if in doubt, get your camera out.

Guest cheese_aholic

Safe Charge App seems to make no difference...

I give up now!

Do I send them both back again (and buy an Acer or Samsung Tablet) or just suck it up and accept that I'll have to turn my HUDLs off to charge...??

Guest monkey13

Don't want to get anyone too excited but I might have cracked it on mine. I noticed in the battery chart that it said my screen was always on when my hudl 2 was charging. Double checked and I was turning it off and it was black but the chart thought it was on all the time. Not the slightest gap in the line. As if the screen was on all the time even though it was black and looked off to me.

Googled around a bit and found out that there is a hidden developer option for just this. Which always keeps the screen on during charging. Found the developer option and turned it off. Now it does seem to be charging properly every time since then. Since it has been intermittent for me it might just be a good run but here is how to find it so others can try.

Click settings > about tablet and keep tapping the build number. I can't remember how many times it was. A message will appear saying it is unlocked. So just keep tapping till that happens. Then go back to the settings menu and there will now be developer options (just above about tablet) and in there is Stay awake. That was ticked for me. Untick.

Good luck.

Edited by monkey13

Guest 7enrique

So my hudl2 has this new strange problem. the battery percentage does not change and it is showing 100% all the time and whenever u connect it to the charger, the led becomes green!! it seems to be charging, but u don't know how much charge does it have. I've tried 10sec reset, didn't fix. maybe need to factory reset.

Guest I am eusty

So my hudl2 has this new strange problem. the battery percentage does not change and it is showing 100% all the time and whenever u connect it to the charger, the led becomes green!! it seems to be charging, but u don't know how much charge does it have. I've tried 10sec reset, didn't fix. maybe need to factory reset.

You must have the 'magic tablet' who's battery never drains! Edited by I am eusty