r1: Root your Vodafone Smart Tab 4G with Superboot

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

The MoDaCo Superboot solution for the Vodafone Smart Tab 4G (NOT the original Smart Tab 4) is now available!

What is this?

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

What are the pre-requisites?

You need a Vodafone Smart Tab 4G (duh) and microUSB cable to carry out this process. And a computer I suppose (Windows, Mac or Linux).

Any caveats?

You should note that while rooting may affect your ability to receive future OTAs, reverting back to stock is easy enough. Using the unroot option in SuperSU should be sufficient.

Download

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: ceb9716865523717e46490d7c23dbcde
How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX
  • Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
  • Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the tablet then turn on with both volume buttons pressed to enter the bootloader - you will see 'powered by Android' stay at the bottom of the screen. You can also use the 'adb reboot bootloader' command.
  • WINDOWS - install the device drivers from the directory you extracted above if required, then run 'superboot-windows.bat' as Administrator
  • MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by 'sudo ./superboot-mac.sh'
  • LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by 'sudo ./superboot-linux.sh'
  • You will see the device boot as normal and after a few seconds, reboot and then continue to boot up fully. That's it! You're done!
I have noticed one small oddity on the Smart Tab 4G in that sometimes the actual grant / deny prompt can't be clicked in SuperSU. The best solution is to set the SuperSU app to deny by default and then after each app has requested access, you can go into the SuperSU app and grant permission.

Enjoy! :)

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit the store for further details!

st4groot.png

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Raldo Useless

Hello Paul,

it seems the download is broken/offline.

Could you please reup / fix it so we can downlaod the image ?

Btw, have you tried to install the android 4.4. phone app / dialer on the rooted tablet ?

I have a hunch this could enable phone calls on this device.

Thank you and greets..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest StripyDragon58

I have this tablet too and want to root it to see if I can get the dialler app working! This is the only place that claims to be able to root the device, please update the link as it returns a file not found message!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest jfr2006

Unfortunately, the last update launched has invalidated this  :(

I get this error:

downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.464s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: bootimage: incomplete or not signed)
finished. total time: 0.466s

Guest Raldo Useless

Same here.

Thank You Paul !

Seems like the last update included a patched (little?) kernel.

Anyone could provide us with an old image ?

Even though I would hate to revert since the latest update really improved battery life for me.

Greetz

R

• 3 months later...
Guest TwistedWrench

Hello,

Has anyone found a recovery for this?

And thanks for this!

Edited by TwistedWrench