Android 5.0 Lollipop on Hudl2

Guest abulkasam

Guest abulkasam

Hello, has anyone heard anything about Hudl2 getting Android 5.0 Lollipop, which is about to be released?

Is it worth pestering them on Twitter about it?

Or perhaps a petition, so they can see how popular a feature it is for owners to have.

Guest abulkasam

It is the latest and most up to date and biggest Google Android update to date, and coming just shortly after the Hudl 2, it would be great to get the updates. They include the new battery optimisation, notification system, the new material design look and feel, and the whole pick up from another device interaction could work well with a phone.

Guest abulkasam

I called up their technical helpline, at first they said,they should get Lollipop, but after inquiring about when, they gave a stock answer of "no dates" and can't confirm or deny it will happen, standard line I guess, until it is (if it is,) made available.

Guest punjabi

I can't answer your question but I would like to know what new features Lollipop has that you're wanting?

Hey, come on now... Benefitting from the 64 bit Bay Trail architecture would be useful at the least!

Guest abulkasam

Well it is due to be out for Nexus 5 and preinstalled for 9 from today.

Many of the other manufacturers have come out with which of their devices will be supportedsupported, supportedit would be a statement of intent if Tesco did.

I suspect the Hudl 2 will only get lollipop if they (Tesco) think they can sell more units to offset the development cost.

Having tried it on a Nexus 4 it does look very slick/pretty, would look good on the demo units they have in most stores, so might be a possibility?

Guest Squelch

The better power management may be enough of a reason for Tesco to consider it, and full use of the 64bit architecture is another selling point.

The poor battery life, and sensitivity to charging is the only negative feature of these excellent little devices in my view.

Guest state-it

The poor battery life, and sensitivity to charging is the only negative feature of these excellent little devices in my view.

I don't think it's too bad a battery, but I use it as a stay-at-home device. I know my Note 10.1 can be used (mildly) for days without a charge. But even when on holiday a charge isn't that far away.

As a stay-at-home device it's value is very good. I was planning on spending about £350 on a similar sized tablet, and I'm glad I didn't.

For one: If i'd sat on the Tab S I was going to buy the few times I've sat on the HUDL2, I'd have a broken tablet...  I like it's sturdiness.

[edit] I couldn't find the HUDL2 for the past 3 days as it had slipped down the side of some furniture. I was gobsmacked to see it at 40% battery when I found it. I thought it would be flat. I'd heard bleepings every now-and-then from somewhere in the room, but thought they were the strange tones from the new phone I'd only got last week whose noises I haven't (still) got used to.[/edit]

Edited by state-it

Guest Squelch

I don't think it's too bad a battery, but I use it as a stay-at-home device. I know my Note 10.1 can be used (mildly) for days without a charge. But even when on holiday a charge isn't that far away.

As a stay-at-home device it's value is very good. I was planning on spending about £350 on a similar sized tablet, and I'm glad I didn't.

For one: If i'd sat on the Tab S I was going to buy the few times I've sat on the HUDL2, I'd have a broken tablet...  I like it's sturdiness.

[edit] I couldn't find the HUDL2 for the past 3 days as it had slipped down the side of some furniture. I was gobsmacked to see it at 40% battery when I found it. I thought it would be flat. I'd heard bleepings every now-and-then from somewhere in the room, but thought they were the strange tones from the new phone I'd only got last week whose noises I haven't (still) got used to.[/edit]

That's interesting. I can't fault the thing in any other way, but the two we bought seem to run down very quickly. I've been following the fate of Philea the last week, and slipped mine into my bag Friday lunchtime with about 60%, and by Saturday morning it wouldn't start due to a flat battery, It's been on charge since then, and still only shows 92% now.. The other one has been off charge for a day and ran down to 40% doing absolutely nothing but sleeping. One is stock, and the other has been rooted, and both have similar battery life.

USB (low rate) when plugged into a PC will allow for extended use, but it is slowly discharging even with the screen brightness turned down. I've installed an enhanced battery stats app to try and pin down the biggest power drain. If Lollipop truly lives up to its claim of better power usage, then that alone is enough reason to consider an upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CosmicSpacehead

Not to be a kill joy here, but I work for tesco, be it in store, and it takes them years to fix even simple bugs in their own tech, like checkouts, PDAs, and the dot com picking sticks.

And usually, when they finally update it, they break it more.

I think a more likely outcome is rooting and custom roms and recovery.

My hudl 2s battery is also terrible. And my nexus 5s lollipop update is also pretty buggy right now. So I'd rather wait for 5.1 on both!

I agree. It's highly unlikely that we will see 4.4.4, let alone 5.0. Tesco will have bought this tablet cheap from the Far East so it will have minimal after sales support. It's being sold at a great price. Don't expect any more that what you see now otherwise you are bound to be disappointed.

Guest jordanc1230

Not to be a kill joy here, but I work for tesco, be it in store, and it takes them years to fix even simple bugs in their own tech, like checkouts, PDAs, and the dot com picking sticks.

And usually, when they finally update it, they break it more.

I think a more likely outcome is rooting and custom roms and recovery.

My hudl 2s battery is also terrible. And my nexus 5s lollipop update is also pretty buggy right now. So I'd rather wait for 5.1 on both!

Would have to disagree with the comparence. There is a reason why Tesco and most big business are slow to update there own systems. You've got to remember that the systems they use are often mission critical and they therefore have to go through a period planning and testing before implementing updates. For example It takes an average of 3 years for large enterprise to move from windows XP to Windows 7 due to the planning and testing that is involved.

Guest welshblob

I would tend to agree that Tesco won't provide an upgrade to 5 as it will require a fair amount of effort and then there is the risk of breaking things and having to provide bugfixes. Of course some of this may also depend on Intel and whether Tesco plans a Hudl3 which I would expect will depend on the success of the Hudl2 and their recovery plan. I'm not holding my breath but would like to see it.