Android 5.0 Lollipop on Hudl2

Guest abulkasam

Guest Jungle_jon

From the Tesco Twitter feed:

All hudl 2 users should be available to update to Android Lollipop 5.0 from Monday.

That statement is wrong on so many levels. #epicfail

Source ?

Guest Jungle_jon

whilst that would be amazing (if only for 5.0's SD fix), I highly doubt it and feel (like you said) that it will simply be an update to fix the charging problem and that someones got confused,

(I live in hope though).

Guest Thomas49

Android 5 killed my Nexus 7 (2012) so not a big fan, a number of my mates with Nexus 7 are not happy with Android 5, some have even rolled back to the previous version of Android. When I went out shopping for a new Tablet I specifically avoided Nexus in order to avoid the update.

From my perspective Android 5 in not what it is made up to be and will bring more problems to an already buggy tablet!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest esc4p3

Hmmm, searching Twitter does show Tesco's reply to Ryan, but not the reply to "Will". To be fair though they did tweet those exact words to someone called " Imran". No such user on Twitter as panic in the ocean?

Guest glossywhite

Let's get our priorities right, instead of chasing shiny candy - surely it's better for Tesco to sort their issues out first, never mind Lollipop, they can't even sort out BASIC, fundamental issues, so what makes you think a new OS is going to help?

Magpie syndrome won't help all the faults, you're FAR better off waiting until these issues are fixed FIRST.

Guest ViPaSoft

Let's get our priorities right, instead of chasing shiny candy - surely it's better for Tesco to sort their issues out first, never mind Lollipop, they can't even sort out BASIC, fundamental issues, so what makes you think a new OS is going to help?

Magpie syndrome won't help all the faults, you're FAR better off waiting until these issues are fixed FIRST.

I agree, and I've not read anything about Lollipop without reading about a fair few issues and that's on flagship devices like Nexus and Samsung.  

If they can't get it right, well, I'd rather stick to what we have for now.

Guest crusader58

If you had half a clue you would know that many of the issues with the hudl2 are common to Kitkat and are resolved in Lollipop, although Lollipop presents its own issues. Isn't magpie syndrome the collecting of shiny objects, like say the iPad mini lmao.

Guest glossywhite

If you had half a clue you would know that many of the issues with the hudl2 are common to Kitkat and are resolved in Lollipop, although Lollipop presents its own issues. Isn't magpie syndrome the collecting of shiny objects, like say the iPad mini lmao.

Erm, right.

Some of you guys are a real hoot; enjoy all your hoping and finger crossing for BASIC things to be fixed, whilst, on my iPad, I just get on with work, as expected. I am not being rude, but denial is evident in this forum most of the time, and it's just childish to pretend otherwise. I don't think in such a simplistic manner as to assume using an iPad or other Apple device makes me in any way "better" than anyone else (seriously, who thinks like that?) - it's a tool to get things done, and it does them well... and by the looks of things, Hudl 2 is FAR from workable, so if you want to carry on being strung along and fobbed off by Tesco and their Hudl "development team", then please - don't let anyone hinder you, but to be frank, the saving of a paltry ~ £100 between Hudl 2 and iPad just isn't worth the hassle, and I have peace of mind from Apple, as is ALWAYS ALWAYS the case, and always has been ANY TIME I have had the slightest problem with Apple products or services, since the first time I had a MacBook, way back in 2006 (case in point: they've just replaced my TEN YEAR old iPod nano with a brand new latest gen, NO questions).

It's like this - you're dealing with Tesco, and therefore getting "Tesco value" levels of customer (dis)-service... is it REALLY worth the saving a few quid on? REALLY? Fling their crappy tablet back at them, and move off in a different, sensible tangent, if you value your time (time is worth exponentially MORE than anything money can buy, or save you from).

Edited by glossywhite

@glossywhite

Your arrogant, ego-stroking " I'm such a tech guru compared to you plebs that are beneath me and deserve my disdain as I know far more than you and I'm always right " routine is getting seriously embarrassing now.

If your Apple product is so awesome, then good for you. Maybe you could go and post in an Apple forum and stop continually spamming these forums with your pointless self serving walls of text.

You have already had to post a whole attention seeking thread about what a tw@ you have been that's been locked, so please, give it a rest.

I fully expect a wall of text reply of superiority complex in return, but I think I speak for most people on this forum, that we don't care what you think.

It must be a sad life to lead being a professional forum troll.

Guest mrrog

it always strikes me that there are strong parallels between christianity and being an apple lover, essentially the need to belong and be looked after by something bigger than themselves,

having said that, i don't mind glossywhite at all, he makes life more interesting

Guest Mark_He

My usual attitude towards android updates is that unless they're very specifically promised by the manufacturer, I don't expect them. When I buy from a premium android brand, such as Samsung or HTC, I'd be very disappointed not to get at least one update, but as they don't actually promise one, I can't expect it. With anything towards the budget end, I don't actually expect any major updates at all (leaving aside bug fixes), and so anything I get is just a bonus.

WIth the Hudl specifically, I don't think Tesco have ever promised any sort of update. If they move to lollipop I'll be suitably impressed, but if they never do it I'll not be weeping into my beer.

Guest crusader58

Erm, right.

Some of you guys are a real hoot; enjoy all your hoping and finger crossing for BASIC things to be fixed, whilst, on my iPad, I just get on with work, as expected. I am not being rude, but denial is evident in this forum most of the time, and it's just childish to pretend otherwise. I don't think in such a simplistic manner as to assume using an iPad or other Apple device makes me in any way "better" than anyone else (seriously, who thinks like that?) - it's a tool to get things done, and it does them well... and by the looks of things, Hudl 2 is FAR from workable, so if you want to carry on being strung along and fobbed off by Tesco and their Hudl "development team", then please - don't let anyone hinder you, but to be frank, the saving of a paltry ~ £100 between Hudl 2 and iPad just isn't worth the hassle, and I have peace of mind from Apple, as is ALWAYS ALWAYS the case, and always has been ANY TIME I have had the slightest problem with Apple products or services, since the first time I had a MacBook, way back in 2006 (case in point: they've just replaced my TEN YEAR old iPod nano with a brand new latest gen, NO questions).

It's like this - you're dealing with Tesco, and therefore getting "Tesco value" levels of customer (dis)-service... is it REALLY worth the saving a few quid on? REALLY? Fling their crappy tablet back at them, and move off in a different, sensible tangent, if you value your time (time is worth exponentially MORE than anything money can buy, or save you from).

Thankfully I've not been plagued with the issues that others have experienced with the hudl2, the limitations that kitkat imposes are easily overcome on a rooted device. If Tesco decide to release Lollipop I probably won't upgrade to it as my hudl2 currently runs all that I need it to without any issues at all.

I listen to music from spotify and watch videos from YouTube, I stream movies to chromecast without any hitch. I play a selection of games some of which are released for the nvidia tegra - all run exceptionally well. A couple of games (namely Real Racing 3 and Openttd) I play for between 4 and 8hrs at a time and the hudl2 has no qualms coping with them. I surf the web daily and again the hudl2 does this well without lag etc (although good bandwidth aids this). I use astronomy apps that are known to be quite demanding, yet these too the hudl2 has no problems with. There are many other applications that I use, all of which run without any problems.

I have optimized my hudl2 by disabling all the bloatware, restricting certain services and installing all non-system apps to the SD Card etc, which may explain why I've not experienced the issues that others have had with battery life and charging.

Overall I am very pleased with the hudl2 , it meets all my tablet requirements and for a budget device it performs very well.

Perhaps if you had taken the time to engage your skills at optimizing your hudl2 (as I have) rather than running off at the mouth, you too could be enjoying a fulfilled life at a budget price.

Edited by crusader58

Guest stevehudl2

is it REALLY worth the saving a few quid on? REALLY? Fling their crappy tablet back at them, and move off in a different, sensible tangent, if you value your time (time is worth exponentially MORE than anything money can buy, or save you from).

Glossy, I can't believe your still on here slagging off the hudl and telling everyone what they should be buying instead!

The volume and content of your posts suggests that you really do have nothing going on in your life better than trolling!

Months ago you got warnings from Paul about your attitude and it seems you have had a few since but continue to bang on about how (in your mind) the hudl2 is a waste of money.

That's your opinion but I happen to think that anyone who spends the sort of money on any apple device that an I pad demands is a fool.

Seriously, how can you slag off the H2 but admit to owning a iPad in the same sentance?

The h2 is not the best tablet in the world. That is true but the best tablets are all running android or windows, not IOS!!

If you own and love your device running "I" diots "O" perating "S" ystem and hate the H2 so much,why are you even on here?

I'm really surprised Paul had not banned you yet after reading your past posts.

Guest Jungle_jon

glossywhite's posting permissions have been removed.

P

About time, this place just became viewable again, it should be about hudl 2 discussions and not a platform for an angry lonely person to have an audience.

• 3 weeks later...

In a word - no.

There is a new update currently being deployed but it isn't Lollipop.

(I don't advise holding your breath  :wacko:)

Guest esc4p3

Who needs Lollipop really....I'm happy with the HUDL2 as it is, it isn't perfect but good enough for the £69.99 that I paid. I'd be afraid that with Lollipop they'd just introduce a whole new set of variables and potential issues with the product.