[DEV][ROM][29.3.] CyanogenMod 12 (Android 5.0.2) for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Guest peetu20

I started being intrested in this phone. Where did you KonstaT get your Open C?

I took a look to Ebay, but there are too much alternatives. Could you throw me a link? Were there any difficulties in delivering the phone to Finland? :O

BTW: How well does adreno 302 perform on our phone? I mean, compared to adreno 205 or 305...

Guest velpeau

Thanks a lot for your awesome work, KonstaT.

First, when installing KitKat, the FFOS recovery returns an error (signature verification failed).

My question is : why is the need to install KitKat prior to install CM12 ?

What's happen if i directly flash TWRP or CWM if my device is already rooted ?

Thanks

Edited by velpeau

Guest KonstaT

I started being intrested in this phone. Where did you KonstaT get your Open C?

I took a look to Ebay, but there are too much alternatives. Could you throw me a link? Were there any difficulties in delivering the phone to Finland? :o

BTW: How well does adreno 302 perform on our phone? I mean, compared to adreno 205 or 305...

I bought my Open C from ZTE's eBay shop and IIRC it cost ~50€ including postage (no problem with delivery to Finland). It's been since sold out from zte_uk account and prices have also gone up. Kis 3 is 119€ at Gigantti.

You can get pretty decent Snapdragon 410 devices for ~100€ these days (e.g. Huawei Y550), so I wouldn't exactly recommend purchasing this device.

Thanks a lot for your awesome work, KonstaT.

First, when installing KitKat, the FFOS recovery returns an error (signature verification failed).

My question is : why is the need to install KitKat prior to install CM12 ?

What's happen if i directly flash TWRP or CWM if my device is already rooted ?

Thanks

Have you used a Windows flasher (=recovery from eng build)? Use recovery.img from EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip to install EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip.

Stock Firefox OS is based on Jelly Bean (Android 4.3). You need to flash an official KitKat firmware to update to KitKat modem first. RIL and wifi won't work otherwise.

Concept of 'having root' (having administrative access) is something related to running an operating system. Your device can not 'be rooted'. You can consider a custom recovery a mini-OS of its own (that also 'has root'). You only need an unlocked bootloader that is accessible with fastboot (which all of these devices already have) to install a custom recovery.

Guest peetu20

I bought my Open C from ZTE's eBay shop and IIRC it cost ~50€ including postage (no problem with delivery to Finland). It's been since sold out from zte_uk account and prices have also gone up. Kis 3 is 119€ at Gigantti.

You can get pretty decent Snapdragon 410 devices for ~100€ these days (e.g. Huawei Y550), so I wouldn't exactly recommend purchasing this device.

Found that ZTE's official selling page too. It's still not bad offer to get that device to Finland with 50€ (especially compared to Gigantti).

My main goal is just to play a bit with that device, I don't even know for what I am buying this device. :D

I personally cannot recommend any Huawei devices to anyone, my friend had one, four visits at repair isn't nice at all...

BTW, that's even maybe a stupid question, but I have Desire Z now. Would it be bad idea try to port Lollipop to that device? Desires developing section in xda is pretty dead nowadays.

I'd like to port Lollipop, but I would need some help with it. :)

I've tried to set up build environment for several times, with Blade, but I've always been stuck with compiling. :(

Guest andy1971

There is an issue with your latest 5.0.2 build, for the life of me i could not get my network (mms) mainly to work., my network status bar would have the network with a ! next to it.

I have rolled back to 5.0.2 build 20141221 and is working again, not sure what the differece is, im in australia on the telstra network.

Edited by andy1971

Guest Aseieil

For me there is problem with network too. Sometimes I've got info that your network is unavailabe and I can't do calls and send messages. Yesterday I was late to my job because the phone was turned off after night : /. On battery status I saw that after loading for 100% the phone just shutted down, after that I had tested loading to full battery again and there weren't any problems (don't know where is problem).

For me is unstable and I rolled back for 4.4.2 because I'm afraid that the problem can be on the previous builds of lollipop rom too(but on previous build I didn't have any problems with ROM for 2 weeks)

Edited by Aseieil

Guest andy1971

For me there is problem with network too. Sometimes I've got info that your network is unavailabe and I can't do calls and send messages. Yesterday I was late to my job because the phone was turned off after night : /. On battery status I saw that after loading for 100% the phone just shutted down, after that I had tested loading to full battery again and there weren't any problems (don't know where is problem).

For me is unstable and I rolled back for 4.4.2 because I'm afraid that the problem can be on the previous builds of lollipop rom too(but on previous build I didn't have any problems with ROM for 2 weeks)

same here it ranomly shuts phone down on later build. also sometimes on the 5.0.2 dec 21st build.

Guest velpeau

Have you used a Windows flasher (=recovery from eng build)? Use recovery.img from EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip to install EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip.

Stock Firefox OS is based on Jelly Bean (Android 4.3). You need to flash an official KitKat firmware to update to KitKat modem first. RIL and wifi won't work otherwise.

Concept of 'having root' (having administrative access) is something related to running an operating system. Your device can not 'be rooted'. You can consider a custom recovery a mini-OS of its own (that also 'has root'). You only need an unlocked bootloader that is accessible with fastboot (which all of these devices already have) to install a custom recovery.

Since i have flashed the recovery.img you talk about, now I get the "device offline" with adb or fastboot commands via Windows / Linux / OSX.

Now, flashing TWRP or CWM is impossible. Fastboot mode also won't start via PWR + DOWN keys.

My Open C is the FR model.

Edited by velpeau

Guest KonstaT

There is an issue with your latest 5.0.2 build, for the life of me i could not get my network (mms) mainly to work., my network status bar would have the network with a ! next to it.

I have rolled back to 5.0.2 build 20141221 and is working again, not sure what the differece is, im in australia on the telstra network.

Just MMS or no mobile data at all? Have you checked your APN settings? Mobile data works just fine for me, haven't tested MMS.

same here it ranomly shuts phone down on later build. also sometimes on the 5.0.2 dec 21st build.

I ended up having 276+ hours (11+ days) of uptime on the previous build before updating to the latest one. Woke it up several times every day and it never froze like sometimes on previous builds. I tried to keep memory clear by closing apps from recents view if that's somehow related. Lollipop is quite heavy on the RAM (there likely won't be an official Lollipop for Qualcomm devices with 512mb of RAM) but there should be much better low memory killer values used in the latest build at least.

Since i have flashed the recovery.img you talk about, now I get the "device offline" with adb or fastboot commands via Windows / Linux / OSX.

Now, flashing TWRP or CWM is impossible. Fastboot mode also won't start via PWR + DOWN keys.

My Open C is the FR model.

You did what exactly (apparently more than just flashed a recovery.img)? Have you enabled USB debugging in development settings? Though this is not a matter that belongs to CM12 thread anyway...

Guest andy1971

1. mobile data worked fine could surf the web just fine, seems just MMS was having the issue

2. uptime is currently 33hrs - do believe it stopped responding a few days back, but before then phone had been up 3-4 days, think i removed the battery for some reason only reason its been that low so far - editing hours

3. i believe that guy didnt do everything thats required - maybe but not sure if he realises there is no confirmation of going into bootloader from the command prompt commands as it looks like it hangs, if hes reading this keep trying the commands and see if he unsticks himself

Edited by andy1971

Guest okmikel

Flashed yesterday the cm-12-20150125-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip build on my phone, made a clean install this time.

Let's see how it works and if my phone will hang again after a few days.

Guest Connector52

Firmware cm-12-20150125-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3

1. Not working Calculator. "Unfortunately, Calculator has stopped".

2. How i may transliteration interface? I'm Russian, in Settings "Personalization" on English language, and "Status" and "Themes" and "System profiles" and more else

3. "Battery Monitor Widget" show not correct values of mA< how fix it?

P.S. Sorry for my English

Best regards

Guest KonstaT

Firmware cm-12-20150125-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3

1. Not working Calculator. "Unfortunately, Calculator has stopped".

2. How i may transliteration interface? I'm Russian, in Settings "Personalization" on English language, and "Status" and "Themes" and "System profiles" and more else

3. "Battery Monitor Widget" show not correct values of mA< how fix it?

P.S. Sorry for my English

Best regards

1. I'm aware of this and I've already fixed it (http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/86841/).
2. Translations project for CM12 was just added few days ago to CM Crowdin. Feel free to contribute. :)
3. It's usually not my problem if a specific third party app doesn't work properly. What if it's just a crappy app or not up to date for recent Android versions. Not sure if related to this, but Beeline Smart2 has a smaller capacity battery (1200mAh vs. 1400mAh in Open C / Kis 3) and it should use a different kernel battery monitoring driver. Since there's no intelligent way to differentiate between device variants you should compile and flash a different kernel for Beeline Smart2's separately.

Guest Connector52

1. I'm aware of this and I've already fixed it (http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/86841/).
2. Translations project for CM12 was just added few days ago to CM Crowdin. Feel free to contribute. :)
3. It's usually not my problem if a specific third party app doesn't work properly. What if it's just a crappy app or not up to date for recent Android versions. Not sure if related to this, but Beeline Smart2 has a smaller capacity battery (1200mAh vs. 1400mAh in Open C / Kis 3) and it should use a different kernel battery monitoring driver. Since there's no intelligent way to differentiate between device variants you should compile and flash a different kernel for Beeline Smart2's separately.

Thx! :)

Guest andy1971

thanks KonstaT. downloaded, flashed it and lets see how it runs

Update seems to be fine so far, thanks ill keep you posted on uptime - issues if encountered

Edited by andy1971

Guest Connector52

cm-12-20150208

Exellent!

But in Camera if enable "HDR", Camera is freezes, and don't fixed it if Settings -> Application -> Cemera -> Stop, only Reboot phone.

"Not connect to Camera" error.

Guest KonstaT

But in Camera if enable "HDR", Camera is freezes, and don't fixed it if Settings -> Application -> Cemera -> Stop, only Reboot phone.

"Not connect to Camera" error.

I don't think that's ever worked. You're not going to get good pictures with a 2mpix sensor - HDR or not. For some strange reason camera flash doesn't work either even though there's an option to enable it... :P

Guest andy1971

Standard camera works fine, ive never used HDR, just tried it and yeh as stated will freeze your phone.. Solution dont use HDR, not like takiing photos from this phone were going to be stunning anyways ;)

Edited by andy1971

Greetings. Version 8.2.15. Some users are experiencing the problem of using HDR mode in the camera. When using the Vol + camera accident. Helped only a reboot.

Guest trickett93

I flashed this to my ZTE Kis 3 last night, however when i load up the first boot my screen does not function neither does my soft keys do you now what i could possible doing wrong as i have flashed custom roms plenty times before ?