Turn off startup animation audio file without root?

Guest ississi

Guest ississi

Hi, the main reason I'd want to root my hudl would be to suppress the audio that plays when it starts up. Is there a way to achieve this without rooting my hudl, please? Many thanks.

Guest Desolutional

Shove tissue paper on the speaker ports and tape it up with some masking tape. Only joking, there's no way to do it without reflashing the Hudl 2; blame Tesco.

Tesco have always dismissed calls to make the boot-up sound optional on the original hudl, therefore don't hold your breath for any such feature on an unRooted hudl2.

People seem to either Root or put headphones in at boot-up. Just one of many little Tesco'isms.

• 1 month later...
Guest ississi

Tesco have always dismissed calls to make the boot-up sound optional on the original hudl, therefore don't hold your breath for any such feature on an unRooted hudl2.

People seem to either Root or put headphones in at boot-up. Just one of many little Tesco'isms.

Thanks I hadn't thought of headphones

I might try the headphone plug off one of my styluses, see if that works, though probably needs a metal Jack so it thinks there's a real graphite in there.

Edited by ississi

Then I'm afraid it'll be put up with it or root your hudl2 and rename the audio file with say '.orig' on the end. (Yes that'll make more sense when Paul issues an updated ROOT'd system image.)

Edited by Guest

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Then I'm afraid it'll be put up with it or root your hudl2 and rename the audio file with say '.orig' on the end. (Yes that'll make more sense when Paul issues an updated ROOT'd system image.)

Could I replace mine with a recording of me singing "do-be-do-do, my Hudl is turning on"?

Just replace /system/media/audio/boot.ogg with your own sound, this could leave you with OTA update issues though.

To silence just add '.orig' etc to the end of the filename.

:ninja:

Edited by Guest

Guest r00tmydevices

Just replace /system/media/audio/boot.ogg with your own sound, this could leave you with OTA update issues though.

To silence just add '.orig' etc to the end of the filename.

How does one go about doing above on a non-rooted Hudl 2 please? A family member has one, no plans to root, and like many others does not like the loud abrupt bootup sound!

Thanks.

Guest glossywhite

The boot animation audio is the most condescending, cheesy, cringe-inducing & awkward piece of music ever written. I can only imagine it to have been commissioned to a pre-school children's audio CD music composer, and approved by some reality-detached corporate "focus group". It smacks of a complete and utter lack of understanding, by a company, of what defines worthwhile attributes in a product. When I hear it, it says to me "There there, dear little consumer, don't you worry your pretty head about all the **[waves hands]** `complicated` things - now, run along like a good little consumer, and keep tapping..."

One can only imagine the backlash, were Apple or Motorola to include this in their boot sequences. >_<

As they say - there's no accountng for taste, and you can't buy class. Maybe if you ask Paul nicely, he will remove the audio, or replace the boot animation entirely, for the rooted firmware...

Edited by glossywhite

Guest r00tmydevices

Dear Paul.

Please, please, pretty please will you consider removing the 'ear grating' bootup audio in your root firmware?

Many thanks in advance.

That request is nonsensical - if you flash Paul's rooted system, you therefore have root (read/write) system access - just install ES File Explorer from the Play store and rename the file yourself.

Guest r00tmydevices

That request is nonsensical - if you flash Paul's rooted system, you therefore have root (read/write) system access - just install ES File Explorer from the Play store and rename the file yourself.

Thanks. As you can tell I know less than zero about Android or root but hope that will change very soon (maybe even tomorrow!) when I bravely attempt my first root. Wish me luck, lol!

Guest glossywhite

It is not one bit "nonsensical"; Many apps require root, but having that doesn't necessitate one to go poking around in a "scary" filesystem to move things and change permissions, if one is not particularly comfortable with doing so. Most people can blindly follow a guide on how to flash a rooted firmware, since it's a one time operation, and the pay off of being able to use said apps requiring root, makes the minor hassle worth the temporary inconvenience of following that rooting tutorial. Just because one requires root, doesn't necessarily make one a "hacker" or "developer" - you visit Play Store to buy an app, see it says "Requires Root" and therefore you need it, and seek to enable it. See? I know two people in a town local to me, who run a very successful phone unlocking business - they readily admit they are rather clueless as to the finer details of the who/why/where the software and unlocking boxes work - they don't need to know the C++ code used to write the firmware, but they - as all humans - can read a tutorial and train their muscle memory to "Connect X, switch on Y and press Z button = unlocked phone = ££ profit ££".

Having the crap PRE-removed is perfect sense.

This is why Apple excel at making products SO simple, even tech ignorant OAPs are able to use them effectively and efficiently, and this is a stumbling block of most geeks - they are unable to see life outside their world of learned knowledge, and assume *everyone* has all the knowledge we have, in doing all these things, which cause us to be named "IT Whizz!" or "Genius" (it's all very very flattering the first time you are referred to in this manner, but once you learn how to do this stuff to the level that it becomes instinctive, there really are NO amazing, hidden powers needed to do them - ANYONE can learn this stuff, if they have a reasonable IQ and a lot of patience and passion for doing so.). Apple have a VERY clear understanding of human emotions and interaction with objects, the likes of which are rarely seen elsewhere in the consumer technology industry - YES, if the "average" person took 6 months of pulling their hair out and periodically losing interest and then returning to the subject matter JUST for the sake of getting one task done, they could *physically* do it, if they HAD to... but Apple understand that humans are human... and most want to turn a key, start the car and drive it - nothing else.

Finally, I am not an Apple "fan boy" (Android, Windows and Ubuntu are my mainstays), in fact, possibly I once was, but very rapidly losing respect for them in many ways, in case anyone refers back to this post and seeks to imprint that label upon my proverbial "forehead" :D

Anyway, I'm off to get some syrup for all that waffle. Cheerio :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest r00tmydevices

@glossywhite

If there was a 'like' button on these forums, I think I might just have hit it half a dozen times for your above post! One of the best replies I have read on any forum in a long, long time. And most of us, know only too well, how much rubbish we often read through that others have posted, lol!

Guest glossywhite

@glossywhite

If there was a 'like' button on these forums, I think I might just have hit it half a dozen times for your above post! One of the best replies I have read on any forum in a long, long time. And most of us, know only too well, how much rubbish we often read through that others have posted, lol!

Well I am not one for abdridgement, when I have a point to convey, let's say that... :) :P - I also know how much rubbish I read on forums, that *I* have written also... a LOT of it - HAH!

Thank you ever so much - it's very decent of you to say that, I am not sure what I said *specifically*, I just say what I am feeling (and sometimes, like each one of us, I am negative and a little too opinionated at times, but that's the human condition for most of us at times; speak first, speak again... and again... now a bit more... then come back a few hours later, and realise how unkind you've been, and attempt to put it right).

I don't think the walking blue fish agrees with you, but then... he's a fish, and he has legs, and he can apparently reason, and type... so... I am not sure what I can say about that. However, I am a placeholder logo, and I am neither glossy OR white, so... hmmm...

You are kind, I thank you kindly. :)

Well your last reply has just proved him right ..... god help us all.

Other than that any other comment is pointless.

So, does that mean if you post another comment as pointless as the last, it will also be equally as pointless? You keep bandying the words "pointless" and "nonsensical" around, without appearing to understand their actual meanings, whilst simultaneously managing to demonstrate both, in the tone of the comments you make. Since opinion is a subjective thing (yes, that stale old chestnut - making a comment about opinion being a matter of opinion), there is no way of anyone on this earth being "right" or "wrong" by merely expressing one's own subjective opinion, ergo, I put it to you that labelling other people's viewpoints as "pointless" and/or "nonsensical", are also opinions, to which the same attributes may equally be applied, were one so rude as to say so without forming a well reasoned and water-tight basis for them.

Anyway, I don't want to come across as a "clever cloggs", I'm just not too smitten with arrogance of any kind, including my own, when I reflect on my actions, so off I pop - cheerio :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

I don't think Paul is going to want to be making personalised versions for different people to install.

The simple exclusion of the audio != "personalised versions". Who's to say that someone else couldn't do this? Paul isn't the only person capable of this - people seem to either revere him as "Master of all", or are too lazy to learn to do something themselves, to benefit the greater good. I don't have the Hudl 2 myself any more, otherwise I'd mod it and post it.

With so many skilled people on Modaco, it always surprises me HOW much people follow Paul around like he's the Pied piper of Hamlyn. Yes, he is a great guy and does a LOT of hard work, but it's time to open one's eyes and realise that we can ALL do this stuff - he doesn't have amazing powers and a cape - he, like all humanity, has just learnt & been taught things, which anyone with sufficient time and interest can ALSO do; it's just a matter of wanting to ENOUGH.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Matthew Watson

This is why Apple excel at making products SO simple, even tech ignorant OAPs are able to use them effectively and efficiently,

What about that execrable piece of software called "ITunes"? *shudder*

Guest Jungle_jon

This thread contains all the needed information to be able to disable the start up noise. Renaming one file in a given location is hardly worth creating a whole new system image for.

That said I agree that the noise should be disablable and was shocked when I tried and failed to find a setting for it. Apart from the charging issued and very short battery life, it has to be one of H2 biggest short comings .

Guest glossywhite

This thread contains all the needed information to be able to disable the start up noise. Renaming one file in a given location is hardly worth creating a whole new system image for.

That said I agree that the noise should be disablable and was shocked when I tried and failed to find a setting for it. Apart from the charging issued and very short battery life, it has to be one of H2 biggest short comings .

Not everyone has the prerequisite technical prowess to know how to achieve this, but everyone - including those people, would benefit from the audio being removed. Let's be honest - noone is going to say Oh no, where's the tune that plays when it starts? I loved that.

That's like my buying your Mum a new HDTV in kit form, and telling her to solder all the components in and assembled it herself before she can watch it. Not gonna happen.

Edited by glossywhite