transferring data from pc to Hudl2 on microSD problem

Guest m118

Hi everyone

I bought a Hudl2, overall I'm happy with it except one issue that is frustrating me. I understand that Kitkat 4.4.. has restrictions on writing to SD cards but I'm confused on how to move forward.

I want to transfer movie filmes onto my microSD from my windows 8 laptop to the Hudl. I inserted the microSD (32gb) in the Hudl, formatted it and dismounted. I put it into the laptop, copied some files over without a problem, plugged it back into the tablet and worked great.

I wanted to copy more, dismounted it, plugged back into the laptop, copied files over and plugged back into the Hudl. The odd thing is that no new files appeared on the card. Tried this process several more times and each time the laptop would acknowledge the copying and pasting on the sd card without issue but only the 1st wave of copied files ever picked up.

I tried running SD scanner but this found nothing.

Can anyone help explain this?

Also, in future, how would you guys approach copying files onto the SD card for the tablet? Doing it directly through the USB cable is painfully slow.

Thanks for the help!

Guest George Styles

Hi everyone

I bought a Hudl2, overall I'm happy with it except one issue that is frustrating me. I understand that Kitkat 4.4.. has restrictions on writing to SD cards but I'm confused on how to move forward.

I want to transfer movie filmes onto my microSD from my windows 8 laptop to the Hudl. I inserted the microSD (32gb) in the Hudl, formatted it and dismounted. I put it into the laptop, copied some files over without a problem, plugged it back into the tablet and worked great.

I wanted to copy more, dismounted it, plugged back into the laptop, copied files over and plugged back into the Hudl. The odd thing is that no new files appeared on the card. Tried this process several more times and each time the laptop would acknowledge the copying and pasting on the sd card without issue but only the 1st wave of copied files ever picked up.

Also, in future, how would you guys approach copying files onto the SD card for the tablet? Doing it directly through the USB cable is painfully slow.

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

It wasnt a cheap sd card off ebay was it ? some bad people buy small sd cards, and flash the firmware so they appear as larger ones, then sell them as such. Symptoms of this include older files disappearing / becoming corrupted as more stuff is added.

Have u tried plugging it back into the PC to see if the files are there from that p.o.v. ???

Also, the way I deal with this is to put the stuff I want on the device into DropBox and use DropSync to get it on via the cloud. This saves muckin0g about with wires,but obviously is only viable if u have a fast net connection...

Hi George,

thanks for the fast reply.

It is a cheap card. I have previously used cheap ones successfuly... although it might not be the case here!

What does POV stand for?

I would like to use cloud storage but my home address is fairly rural and so my upload speed is unbelievably slow and would take hours to upload 1 GB

Guest Mark_He

Hi everyone

Thanks for the help!

I have to say, dodgy SD card is the first thought I had as well. Possibly you need to test it a bit by removing and adding files.

I use ES File Explorer and copy over wifi, but obviously this is dependant on having a solid wifi connection.

POV=Point of View?

aaah POV. to answer that, when i returned the SD card back from the tablet to the laptop, none of the newer files were displaying. only the original 1st wave of copied files.

I think you're right. I'll go with a Kingston. 32GB, class 10 I think should be compatible. I will also look at ES file explorer, that could be a nifty way of saving time.

thanks for the help everyone

Guest turboteeth

I always use the original data cable and copy files straight to the external SD card from within windows explorer I really don't see the point of keep removing the SD card? Only problem I have encountered with movies is no sound but installing vlc media player soon sorted that minor niggle ;)

Guest Desolutional

good to hear turboteeth

i'm going to go through with ordering the brand name SD, although even on amazon there are reviews of them being faked from them!

As long as you buy the card from "Amazon" or "Fulfilled by Amazon", you should never have an issue; and if you do, Amazon will send you a replacement for free anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest r00tmydevices

This freeware software can be used to test flash memory cards and drives:

https://flashfakecentral.wordpress.com/testing-flash-memory-chips/h2testw-english/

Personally I wouldn't take the risk or waste my time purchasing any off eBay or Amazon marketplace. Sold and fulfilled by Amazon is fine. But fullfilled by Amazon merely means they store, package and dispatch items on 'behalf' of the third party seller. They don't check whether the items are genuine or fakes! Sure, they might help get you a refund if you have received a fake but it still involves a lot of pffaffing around returning item, waiting for refund etc. Plenty of good deals available from lots of reputable etailers that only supply genuine products.

My two pence anyway, lol!