This will definitely come in useful!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest vampirefo

Vampirefo have you successfully used this method on a hudl2?

I don't have hudl2, I did look at your stock recovery, that was posted, the partitions are the same as all other intels.

I can't see any reason it won't, all that is being done it launching my intel recovery in fastboot, from there sdc tool is going to setup a recovery environment, then start the recovery, works just like any custom recovery.

You should be able to use adb commands, use recovery to flash zip files, backup and restore system, flash roms and so on.

Flashing superuser zip roots the tablet, you have to select no on questions recovery asks when you select to reboot, recovery comes with su, but that su isn't for intel, used for other device.

To root intel flash the superuser zip, as in the instructions how to use tethered cwm recovery.

Make sure you are using latest version of tethered cwm recovery, which is the linux version I already posted or the latest by sdc for windows users.

Edited by vampirefo

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dennissingh99

Hi everyone,

Can you guys help me to run this on the hudl 2. When it goes to fastboot, it cannot find the device. I know that the drivers are installed correctly because I had just rooted my hudl 2 using Paul's method of rooting through flashing the system image using fastboot, and that worked. Paul, can you please tell me what small mods you did?

Guest dennissingh99

Hi everyone,

Can you guys help me to run this on the hudl 2. When it goes to fastboot, it cannot find the device. I know that the drivers are installed correctly because I had just rooted my hudl 2 using Paul's method of rooting through flashing the system image using fastboot, and that worked. Paul, can you please tell me what small mods you did?

Never mind, I got it to work finally. For anyone who is interested I had just replaced fastboot with fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d on the launcher.bat

Use T3 as the option.

I have already made a launcher.bat file so that you can download it and replace it with your own launcher.bat

Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6b0GWZ27sAFd2JzNTVkT0xMaFk/view?usp=sharing

Guest robin0800

Never mind, I got it to work finally. For anyone who is interested I had just replaced fastboot with fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d on the launcher.bat

Use T3 as the option.

I have already made a launcher.bat file so that you can download it and replace it with your own launcher.bat

Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6b0GWZ27sAFd2JzNTVkT0xMaFk/view?usp=sharing

Yes this works managed to root my March updated Hudl  (Needed to use option T3)

Edited by robin0800

Guest vampirefo

Never mind, I got it to work finally. For anyone who is interested I had just replaced fastboot with fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d on the launcher.bat

Use T3 as the option.

Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6b0GWZ27sAFd2JzNTVkT0xMaFk/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for confirming, I knew it would work all intel devices are the same, that's why I built a generic recovery to attempt to root them all.

Anyway, I can add hudl2 to confirmed rooted via tethered cw recovery.

Guest dennissingh99

Thanks for confirming, I knew it would work all intel devices are the same, that's why I built a generic recovery to attempt to root them all.Anyway, I can add hudl2 to confirmed rooted via tethered cw recovery.

If you guys don't mind, can I create a new how to root HUDl 2 guide?

Guest EananC

If you guys don't mind, can I create a new how to root HUDl 2 guide?

I made a simple new user friendly guide for the sticky root thread already.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brackehill_mob

There is a Linux version of this rooting process here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/dell-venue/general/linux-tethered-cwm-recovery-version-t2963104

For us Hudl2 users, see my comment #107

Also be aware that not all versions of fastboot are created equal! The version in the Linux Mint repository doesn't work but the version in the xda-developers download does.

Edited by brackehill_mob

Guest vampirefo

There is a Linux version of this rooting process here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/dell-venue/general/linux-tethered-cwm-recovery-version-t2963104

For us Hudl2 users, see my comment #107

Also be aware that not all versions of fastboot are created equal! The version in the Linux Mint repository doesn't work but the version in the xda-developers download does.

I have updated my Linux version to include TWRP 2.8.6.0, TWRP requires correct screen size, I currently only have two sizes up.

I have updated my Linux version to include TWRP 2.8.6.0, TWRP requires correct screen size, I currently only have two sizes up.

Any chance of updating TWRP to include the correct size for the hudl2? I'd love to have TWRP working on our units. Just playing with the latest Tesco update so haven't tried those TWRP versions .... yet.

I had to give up getting it to work on the original hudl1 due to not being able to get the touch screen working. But if the touch screen is working on the newer hudl2 - a screen size corrected version would be the icing on the cake.  :D

Edited by Guest

vampirefo thanks for this, after finally installing the latest Tesco update (which applied without issue after restoring the original build.prop file) used this tethered cwm recovery method to gain supersu - no issues found with the process, I suppose that's what you get when you're late in doing it. :blush:

It's difficult doing bleeding edge stuff these days as it happens - just struggle to find the time, but still follow the forum with great interest. ;)

It's available in vampirefo's xda forum thread here

For info, the TWRP recovery I used in the photo is the twrp_3830_recovery.zip it's resolution is 800x1280 portrait and appears to work. Havn't tried a nandroid backup yet - ran out of time, but it's running and responds to touch control.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Daniel_Twigg

It's available in vampirefo's xda forum thread here

For info, the TWRP recovery I used in the photo is the twrp_3830_recovery.zip it's resolution is 800x1280 portrait and appears to work. Havn't tried a nandroid backup yet - ran out of time, but it's running and responds to touch control.

Is this a tethered TWRP?

Edit - I should have just clicked the link. It is tethered. I wish we could get untethered.

Edited by Daniel_Twigg

• 1 month later...

Just an update from personal experience - using this to root a hudl2 works brilliantly, but using this to try and create nandroid backups is a bit flakey in either CWM or TWRP versions - it's resulted in some zero length files, it may be something simple like sdcard format or settings, but haven't had time to investigate yet.

Hey-ho!

Guest vampirefo

Just an update from personal experience - using this to root a hudl2 works brilliantly, but using this to try and create nandroid backups is a bit flakey in either CWM or TWRP versions - it's resulted in some zero length files, it may be something simple like sdcard format or settings, but haven't had time to investigate yet.

Hey-ho!

Make sure you have latest version of recovery, then only backup system partition. Only two partition are really needed for backup system and data.

I would recommend first making a backup of system, then make a backup of system and data.
The backup of system can be shared with others, data backup is personal info and shouldn't be shared.

Make sure you have latest version of recovery,

Just checking, the versions

CWM recovery that I'm using is as per your post v6.0.3.7 (which allows only '.tar' and '.dup' backups, that's fine) remembering to mount both system and data before creating the backup.

TWRP I'm using is again as per your post  v2.8.6.0 - on the hudl2 this doesn't appear to be able to mount the partitions - as both system and data partitions have a size of 0. As it boots up you can see all the partitions are listed one by one with a size of 0. But I can't seem to mount them via the menu, unless I'm doing something stupid.

Edited by Guest

Guest vampirefo

Twrp is now 2.8.7.0, you are using older twrp.
Also While cwm version remains the same files have changed.
I have updated both cwm and twrp 7-31.
The 7-31 twrp and cwm should be used, 2.8.7.0 should mount system and data correctly.

Ahh cracking stuff vampirefo I'll  hunt the updates out and re-test.

UPDATE:

Tested the latest builds and all is well. Cheers.

Edited by Guest