HDMI out is flaky with my micro HDMI to HDMI cable

Guest glossywhite

Guest r00tmydevices

Just out of interest, once you've connected a h2 to a tv using HDMI will whatever you're doing on the h2 appear on the tv? Homescreen with app icons etc, will it mirror apps being launched and running? Or will it only display certain things such as video playback etc. Sorry if that's a slightly dumb question. Thought I'd check if it works much the same as something like a Chromecast does before considering the purchase of a relevant HDMI cable.

Thanks.

Edited by r00tmydevices

As you can see from my pics in post #20, connecting via HDMI will mirror your hudl screen onto the tv. Whereas from what I've seen of using Google Chromecast, you can launch a streamed movie (from netflix etc) via the hudl, cast it to the tv and then turn the hudl off if you wanted to.

Edited by Guest

I have no issues what so ever on the Hudl2 to TV operation.

I am very happy with the performance and can say (as I own both) that it compares very favorably with the Nexus 7.

Same with me I got this hudl2 to replace my nexus7 as I wanted HDMI out and sd card support both of which we are missing on the nexus so far the performance of the hudl2 has equalled the nexus I have not rooted yet as I have not had any of the problems posted so I dont want to flash Paul's .IMG just incase it breaks something. as for build quality I would say a bit better than the Asus nexus (creaking screen)and had to replace USB port after 13 months I would put build quality on par with my sons iPad mini but that's not surprising as they are made by the same poeple

Guest oldscot

My first HDMI cable (from tesco) did not work which had me worried given hudle 1 problems but a replacement works fine. Did have the occasional problem with BBC iPlayer which seemed a bit picky about whether HDMI was connected before or after starting iPlayer but I've just tried it again and that seems fixed.

Oldscot

PS. Does the fact that 4od block HDMI annoy anyone else?

Guest Mark_He

As you can see from my pics in post #20, connecting via HDMI will mirror your hudl screen onto the tv. Whereas from what I've seen of using Google Chromecast, you can launch a streamed movie (from netflix etc) via the hudl, cast it to the tv and then turn the hudl off if you wanted to.

It does depend on the app supporting it, but chromecast support seems pretty popular at the moment and most video apps have rushed to include it.

There is also an option to cast your entire screen ala the way hdmi works, but that's the one place it gets inferior results to a physical cable - it can be a bit laggy.

I can recommend checking out a chromecast if you have decent WiFi to support it with. I use mine primarily to watch tv/movies, either from the Hudl, or from my PC hard drive using the Hudl as a controller. It turns a "dumb" TV into something close to a smart TV for a fraction of the price.

Guest r00tmydevices

Does the Tesco USB cable supplied with the h2 work connected to a HDMI slot on a tv? I know it's super short which is a joke itself imo but that's another matter!

My first HDMI cable (from tesco) did not work which had me worried given hudle 1 problems but a replacement works fine. Did have the occasional problem with BBC iPlayer which seemed a bit picky about whether HDMI was connected before or after starting iPlayer but I've just tried it again and that seems fixed.

Oldscot

PS. Does the fact that 4od block HDMI annoy anyone else?

If you have rooted your tablet, there is an Xposed module that gets around this limitation and will output 4od over HDMI to your TV without the blocking. I haven't tried it for ages though, so not sure if it's been kept up to date or not.

Maybe worth a try though.

Guest I am eusty

Does the Tesco USB cable supplied with the h2 work connected to a HDMI slot on a tv? I know it's super short which is a joke itself imo but that's another matter!

Hey what! Put a USB plug in an HDMI socket??

Guest r00tmydevices

Hey what! Put a USB plug in an HDMI socket??

Ha ha. Well spotted. Obviously that sounded different when I thought about it in my head to when I put it on here in words. Of course s USB plug won't fit in a HDMI socket. Duh!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ft_root

Hi everyone. I joined this forum to gain some knowledge from this community about my Hudl2, and would like to say in my first post that in common with the majority have no issue with HDMI connectivity on my device.

I have been a lurker for a while and can only concur with earlier comments regarding the agenda and attitude of the OP. I hope to enjoy my stay here and as I gain in experience eventually give something back in time.

Guest crusader58

I have no issues connecting my hudl2 via HDMI, I use a 5 meter cable which was purchased via Amazon and a HDMI to micro HDMI adapter purchased from Maplins. I've used it for movies, games etc and it has not had any issues whatsoever. recently though I bought Chromecast so use HDMI less now.