Returning a hudl 2 to Tesco - Should I first factory reset plus remove root?

Guest r00tmydevices

Guest r00tmydevices

As per title, recently rooted a family members h2 only to then notice a defect in the screen. When switched off it looks like an air bubble underneath a screen protector film. It's either a defect in the screen itself or underneath it?

Tesco have said to take it to a customer service desk, ask them to telephone their technical department to confirm the defect then a new unit will be sent out.

Would like to factory reset it and remove root. How do I go about doing this please?

Thanks.

The factory reset is easy via the system menu but, if you wanted to be super sure to convert back from a rooted hudl2, I'd get in touch with Paul and ask for a copy of the latest standard build system partition and re-flash that. Unless there's some issue with that process I can't see why this non-rooted system image hasn't already been made available.

If hudl2 had used another cpu with more history / available tools in the wild - it wouldn't have been an issue. 

To be honest, as it's a screen defect, it's not really a mega issue as, as long as you remove your apps and the super user apps are gone it won't 'appear' rooted on a quick inspection which is all that should be required to confirm a 'screen' hardware defect.......

Guest r00tmydevices

Thanks for replying.

To uninstall apps, do I go into Google Play Store, access my list of apps on my account then tap on each one before selecting 'uninstall'? Will SuperUser app be listed also? Don't recall installing that, it just appeared after rooting the h2.

Guest r00tmydevices

in superuser app go to settings full unroot and then you should be back to stock

Excellent. Just what I was hoping for...a single simple operation to achieve the objective.

Just out of interest of all the members who had rooted then returned their h2 for an exchange/refund, would be good to know whether or not you bothered removing root? And of those that didn't, was there any comeback from Tesco at all?

Thanks.

Guest Desolutional

Excellent. Just what I was hoping for...a single simple operation to achieve the objective.

Just out of interest of all the members who had rooted then returned their h2 for an exchange/refund, would be good to know whether or not you bothered removing root? And of those that didn't, was there any comeback from Tesco at all?

Thanks.

I returned my original Hudl, and they simply opened the box, looked at it, closed the box and gave me my cash back. It's Tesco, a food place, not PC World. (Even though PC World don't know what they're doing half the time either)

Guest r00tmydevices

That is what I am expecting the member of staff on the customer services desk to do, just check for the defect then proceed with arranging an exchange. Just didn't want technical support or whichever department it ends up at to then delve deeper, noticing something such as root and for that to affect any future exchanges etc.

Guest r00tmydevices

Switched launcher from Nova back to Tesco, went into SuperUser app, selected 'full unroot' and then settings > factory reset. Rebooted. The grating startup audio was back and the initial set-up screen was displayed. Seemed good enough to me. Didn't uninstall any of the apps I had installed after rooting the h2. Unit was exchanged on the spot.

Thanks for your help.