ZTE Blade S6 Lollipop Kernel(3.10.49) kernel source code

Guest KonstaT

Guest mehdid83

I just wrote to ZTE China :

Hi !

I recently bought a ZTE BLADE S6 smartphone from your company.

However, in order to root the phone and enjoy some of my precious Android applications, I'd need the smartphone's Bootloader to be unlocked. Most other manufacturers provide a procedure in order to do that, but it seems ZTE does not provide it yet.

Would it be possible for you to let me know when your company intends to release such a feature ?

Thanks a lot

Guest mehdid83

Just for my knowledge in general (I'm curious), in order to get the Bootloader unlocked, we need ZTE to publish a correctly signed update which will contain an "update" unlocked boot.img giving root acces in ADB & Fastboot mode ?

Did I understand right ?

Thanks KonstaT !

Guest KonstaT

Just for my knowledge in general (I'm curious), in order to get the Bootloader unlocked, we need ZTE to publish a correctly signed update which will contain an "update" unlocked boot.img giving root acces in ADB & Fastboot mode ?

Did I understand right ?

Thanks KonstaT !

Not quite. boot.img contains Linux kernel and ramdisk and it has nothing to do with bootloader being locked or not. If you look inside ZTE update.zip you'll see bunch of firmware files there that you don't see e.g. if you'd look inside a custom ROM zip (sorry bad example, no custom ROMs for this device ;)). These are the bootloader (emmc_appsboot.mbn, sbl1.mbn, etc) and modem/radio (NON-HLOS.bin, etc) firmware files. There's actually more than one bootloaders that are called in chain during booting. I don't know how ZTE have crippled/locked the bootloader on this device. It might be a matter of them releasing a recovery flashable update.zip that contains unlocked/unlockable bootloader or they might even have to release a separate tool for that.

Guest lucagalo

So by looks of this, we're hampered with development unless ZTE decide to have a change of heart?

More or less.... The other alternative is that someone finds a bug in lollipop that let's root the phone without recovery, I think

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest El Nino9

Root is available.

www.kingroot.net/root

Not tried this, but i was reading about ping pong root which is used by the S6. i think that too is based on the kingroot method.

i am waiting for ping pong root to be updated for other devices and be able to use SuperSU instead.

i wonder if that would mean the users can flash a custom recovery using flashify or flashfire?

got rid of the device but still following it.

if this device can get a decent development behind it, it'll be great. hardware bar the GPS and battery is spot on for me.

Elephone P7000 ticks most boxes for me except they won't release source code as it uses an MTK chip. The Honer 4x uses a Kirin 620, which for me doesn't sit well in comparison to a SD615

Edited by El Nino9

Guest KonstaT

Not tried this, but i was reading about ping pong root which is used by the S6. i think that too is based on the kingroot method.

i am waiting for ping pong root to be updated for other devices and be able to use SuperSU instead.

i wonder if that would mean the users can flash a custom recovery using flashify or flashfire?

It looks like these both exploit the recently disclosed ping socket vulnerability that can be used to elevate root access on pretty much any Android device running any Android version (besides recent CyanogenMod builds where this is patched, it won't take long for OEMs to patch this either). Keen Team behind PingPong at least disclosed information about the vulnerability but not sure who came up with it first. I'm going to recite rumors that KingRoot sends your IMEI number (and possibly other personal information) to China. PingPong is closed source and Chinese too, so... :P

Yes, if you just had a custom recovery to flash, you could do it. ;)

Guest El Nino9

It looks like these both exploit the recently disclosed ping socket vulnerability that can be used to elevate root access on pretty much any Android device running any Android version (besides recent CyanogenMod builds where this is patched, it won't take long for OEMs to patch this either). Keen Team behind PingPong at least disclosed information about the vulnerability but not sure who came up with it first. I'm going to recite rumors that KingRoot sends your IMEI number (and possibly other personal information) to China. PingPong is closed source and Chinese too, so... :P

Yes, if you just had a custom recovery to flash, you could do it. ;)

Since the PingPong team thank Kingroot i take it they helped with the exploit to make PingPong?

i wouldn't worry about "my personal information" if the device is clean and never had any contacts or google accounts linked to it.

how many apps on playstore have access to your IMEI number? there was an article a while back when google changed their premission settings regarding how easily it was to obtain personal information now for app developers.

im no dev but i am sure it's easy enough to gain root with Kingroot, install flashfire or flashify, install modified ZTE rom with SuperSU and busybox (maybe even change the launcher).

that to me isn't real development though as a "kitchen" can be used. what needs to be done someone with the skils to fix the silly bugs and optimise battery. sadly i'm not that person.

glad though that root has been established on this device. only downside is i think the delay between launch and obtaining root has slightly put people off and developers won't pick this device up.

the Honor X4 is cheaper and has proper GPS but a Kirin 620. if it had the SD625 like the ZTE i think i'd be an easy decision.

here's hoping that some smart people can release 5.1.1 for this device

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT

Hey guys!

Is there any way to enable double tap to wake on this phone? Is it hard to mod that into the kernel? Thanks!

Depends how many years of experience you have on kernel development. ;) Somewhat challenging in any case...

And AFAIK no one has even tried to build the kernel or flash anything to boot/recovery partitions even that would be now possible that you have root access.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 11sword11

I tried to flash GEN_EU_Blade_S6V1.0.0B08 in the phone with firmware ZTE_AS_Blade_S6V1.0.0B11 flashing process has completed successfully but after I tried loads into the system the display is off and nothing else happened. Now the phone does not react to pressing the power button, does not boot in recovery and is defined by PC as Qualcomm HS-USB QD Loader 9008.

This topic was already found after he tried to flash the EU Assembly on the phone with the region AS  :( 

May someone tell me - how can I recover the phone from this state, or is this the end?

Edited by 11sword11

Guest KonstaT

I tried to flash GEN_EU_Blade_S6V1.0.0B08 in the phone with firmware ZTE_AS_Blade_S6V1.0.0B11 flashing process has completed successfully but after I tried loads into the system the display is off and nothing else happened. Now the phone does not react to pressing the power button, does not boot in recovery and is defined by PC as Qualcomm HS-USB QD Loader 9008.

May someone tell me - how can I recover the phone from this state, or is this the end?

That's not good. :( I don't think you have much other option than to return your device under warranty. You could maybe try something with QPST but you don't even have full firmware to flash (you could possibly make a raw dump of the whole eMMC from another device).

It's really strange that ZTE even allows you to flash that in the stock recovery - especially if this is the result! ZTE updates usually check very specific firmware version and you'd need to use a matching stock recovery to install (this one only checks that ro.product.device=P839F30 and ro.sdupdate.check.info=P839F30). No idea what's causing it either. Most likely bootloader got corrupted for some reason. Are you sure you didn't see any error messages in the end?

Guest 11sword11

Are you sure you didn't see any error messages in the end?

Any messages about the error in the flashing process was not.

But the phone does not work. Warranty unfortunately I don't have.

The phone had a problem with the speaker and I handed the phone to the local service center (it was not authorized service) to replace the speaker.

And now if I send the phone warranty manufacturers in China (I am in Ukraine), it will see that the phone has been repaired, replaced the speaker.  :( 

(you could possibly make a raw dump of the whole eMMC from another device)

This option might work, but unfortunately I don't have another phone to create a dump. Maybe someone can help with this?

Many just read and as I understand it is not possible to restore without qpst firmware from the manufacturer  :(

Edited by 11sword11

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dadedes76

I installed version by mistake ZTE_ES_Blade_S6V1.0.0B05 and crashed the phone. How do I turn on my phone? You have drivers for PC zte blade s6? Help me !!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 11sword11
On 4pda.ru today posted an update ZTE_AS_Blade_S6V1.0.0B12, will post the link here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwRTVpjNQnsOV1hPNEg0M0VjMW8/view?usp=sharing
CRC32: BADD16B8
MD5: 8B6A699E8C9B148BF6FC67C8F8565709
SHA-1: A821E3151FCF6E75B5D1D37482EEEEEE3308D82E
This update is only for phones with firmware region "AS"
From the changelog: unlock scanning eyes and according to ZTE fixed GPS, and maybe something else...
Edited by 11sword11

• 1 month later...
Guest KonstaT

Anyone interested in testing a TWRP build? Preferably someone tech-savvy (some experience with adb and command line), rooted and updated to the latest ZTE_AS_Blade_S6V1.0.0B12 firmware.

Did a TWRP build for Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 (ZTE Blade S6 Lux rebrand) and everything is working fine there. Do not flash that to your Blade S6, it is not meant for this device! Contact me and I'll give you a link to the Blade S6 test build.

Edit. Really, no one interested in having a custom recovery for this device?! Maybe someone could tip this over at XDA to see if there's someone brave there...

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Hurders
On 4pda.ru today posted an update ZTE_AS_Blade_S6V1.0.0B12, will post the link here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwRTVpjNQnsOV1hPNEg0M0VjMW8/view?usp=sharing
CRC32: BADD16B8
MD5: 8B6A699E8C9B148BF6FC67C8F8565709
SHA-1: A821E3151FCF6E75B5D1D37482EEEEEE3308D82E
This update is only for phones with firmware region "AS"
From the changelog: unlock scanning eyes and according to ZTE fixed GPS, and maybe something else...

Just checking, this firmware won't work on an EU blade? Current firmware on mine is EU B08, my GPS doesn't work at all so want to see if newer firmware will fix but obviously don't want to brick?

Guest 11sword11

Just checking, this firmware won't work on an EU blade? Current firmware on mine is EU B08, my GPS doesn't work at all so want to see if newer firmware will fix but obviously don't want to brick?

Don't even try to install this firmware if your phone is not "AS" Firmware for different regions are not compatible, installing firmware for a different region will turn the phone into a brick, my phone was hardbricked when I installed the EU firmware on the phone AS two months ago and it is still not possible to repair it.

Guest KonstaT

Anyone interested in testing a TWRP build? Preferably someone tech-savvy (some experience with adb and command line), rooted and updated to the latest ZTE_AS_Blade_S6V1.0.0B12 firmware.

Did a TWRP build for Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 (ZTE Blade S6 Lux rebrand) and everything is working fine there.

Edit. Really, no one interested in having a custom recovery for this device?! Maybe someone could tip this over at XDA to see if there's someone brave there...

And apparently someone already misunderstood me. :( Do not flash the Vodafone TWRP to your Blade S6! It's a completely different device with different hardware. Contact me (or say you'd like to test and I'll PM you) and I'll send you a link to the Blade S6 build I've already done.

Well, some of that was probably my fault too. That post was written well before the Vodafone Smart ultra 6 TWRP was even released and I've edited it since (there was a minor problem with touchscreen and I pointed out that this device has different hardware and wondered if this device would have the same issue). It didn't even cross my mind that someone would actually try to flash a TWRP from a completely different device :o (can't underestimate people on the internet). There's reasons why I don't give test builds out to public, but I don't see any reason why we couldn't have fully working TWRP on this device too. :)

Edited by KonstaT