Open C JellyBean Kernel(3.4.x) source code

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
Woohoo! :D And it only took nine months, about twenty emails to ZTE support, and an official R&D request through ZTE Australia.

Merged it on top of a tagged CAF release and pushed it to jellybean branch in my github.

Next we'd need to get an updated Kis 3 KitKat kernel source with support for devices with Goodix GT960F touchscreen.

Guest KonstaT

any chance of a caf or b2g build based on the jellybean kernel, or cm10.2.1 ?

Yes, all of that would be possible now.

I don't have plans on picking up any new projects so that's for someone else to do. ;)

Guest boogyboo

any chance of a caf or b2g build based on the jellybean kernel, or cm10.2.1 ?

cm10 can be built and booted using the kernel source that was used in the b2g 1.3 repo--anyone familiar with building would know this since 1.3 was based on jelly bean.  it was the first thing i built for the phone back in september.  i no longer have the cm10 repo on my machine though, and i scrapped those early builds.

currently the cm10 repo will not complete syncing because of some whiny loser requesting dmca takedowns for code used to build pico tts included in android_external_svox

until this is resolved i won't be able to re-build cm10.  there's not really a big difference from cm10 to cm11 anyway.  the main difference and thing that cm10 does better than 11 is the dialer and contacts--which is reason enough to want it.  if i can dig up one of those builds on machine somewhere i'll shoot  you a link

Edited by boogyboo

Guest KonstaT

cm10 can be built and booted using the kernel source that was used in the b2g 1.3 repo--anyone familiar with building would know this since 1.3 was based on jelly bean.  it was the first thing i built for the phone back in september.  i no longer have the cm10 repo on my machine though, and i scrapped those early builds.

currently the cm10 repo will not complete syncing because of some whiny loser requesting dmca takedowns for code used to build pico tts included in android_external_svox

until this is resolved i won't be able to re-build cm10.  there's not really a big difference from cm10 to cm11 anyway.  the main difference and thing that cm10 does better than 11 is the dialer and contacts--which is reason enough to want it.  if i can dig up one of those builds on machine somewhere i'll shoot  you a link

Anyone who is even slightly familiar with Android development knows you can't build a kernel for a specific device without a kernel source that contains the hardware specific drivers for that very device. ;) This is also exactly what I already told you the last time you tried to compile a kernel for this device using a kernel source from some other completely random device. That is why we have to rely on the OEMs to release the kernel source for each specific device (or a 'family' of devices like some OEMs do). No, you couldn't have built and booted a Jelly Bean kernel for this device before this source was released.

Problem with CM10's android_external_svox could have been resolved in no time by making a similar change to what is already merged in all the newer branches...

LOL, "not really a big difference from cm10 to cm11". :D There's a huge difference in Android 4.1 and Android 4.4 alone and CyanogenMod also hugely evolved during those couple of years. Also no idea why you keep mentioning CM10 (Android 4.1). This kernel source is for Android 4.3 (which would translate to CM10.2) and there's zero chances of any prior Android versions working on msm8610 platform in general (and why would anyone want that anyway?). Don't get confused just because they're all called Jelly Bean. ;)

Guest boogyboo

Anyone who is even slightly familiar with Android development knows you can't build a kernel for a specific device without a kernel source that contains the hardware specific drivers for that very device. ;) This is also exactly what I already told you the last time you tried to compile a kernel for this device using a kernel source from some other completely random device. That is why we have to rely on the OEMs to release the kernel source for each specific device (or a 'family' of devices like some OEMs do). No, you couldn't have built and booted a Jelly Bean kernel for this device before this source was released.

Problem with CM10's android_external_svox could have been resolved in no time by making a similar change to what is already merged in all the newer branches...

LOL, "not really a big difference from cm10 to cm11". :D There's a huge difference in Android 4.1 and Android 4.4 alone and CyanogenMod also hugely evolved during those couple of years. Also no idea why you keep mentioning CM10 (Android 4.1). This kernel source is for Android 4.3 (which would translate to CM10.2) and there's zero chances of any prior Android versions working on msm8610 platform in general (and why would anyone want that anyway?). Don't get confused just because they're all called Jelly Bean. ;)

here is where you are wrong, again.

i had cm10.2 (4.3) [the one place you are right--typo btw, i've been around the block and your xda fanboy wanna be crap doesn't fly with me] running right off the bat when i got the device.  it was the very first thing built.  it ran just fine using the kernel from the 1.3 b2g repo which is what shipped with the american ebay open-c and was built from android 4.3, which is the same as your uk i believe.  that kernel will boot cm10.2.  but that kernel also didn't have config enabled in proc/config.gz for the config that ran b2g so the proper config had to be pulled from the config folder and slightly tweaked.  i could not however get cm11 booting with that same kernel and config for whatever reason--which i'm sure was only config options related and not drivers because they ran fine in b2g.

get over yourself.  cause you ain't shizz

Edited by boogyboo

Guest KonstaT

here is where you are wrong, again.

i had cm10.2 (4.3) [the one place you are right--typo btw, i've been around the block and your xda fanboy wanna be crap doesn't fly with me] running right off the bat when i got the device.  it was the very first thing built.  it ran just fine using the kernel from the 1.3 b2g repo which is what shipped with the american ebay open-c and was built from android 4.3, which is the same as your uk i believe.  that kernel will boot cm10.2.  but that kernel also didn't have config enabled in proc/config.gz for the config that ran b2g so the proper config had to be pulled from the config folder and slightly tweaked.  i could not however get cm11 booting with that same kernel and config for whatever reason--which i'm sure was only config options related and not drivers because they ran fine in b2g.

get over yourself.  cause you ain't shizz

LOL, I've kept away from XDA so I wouldn't have to deal with crap like this. :D

You're only making a fool of yourself with all the bullshit you're making up. No, you can't boot a Jelly Bean kernel on this device that is built from some other source than what ZTE just released. I don't believe you've ever ran CM10.2 on this device either and it's also very convenient that you've 'removed' those alledged 'builds'... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest KonstaT

Next we'd need to get an updated Kis 3 KitKat kernel source with support for devices with Goodix GT960F touchscreen.

Updated Kis 3 kernel source has been released. :D

It's has updated Goodix driver so devices with GT960F touchscreen hardware should finally have working touchscreen in custom ROMs in future builds. There's also added support for couple of new display panels, minor update to taos als/proximity driver, and some indication that there might be a NFC capable variant coming. ZTE has also patched few CVEs and that's pretty much it. Full diff in this commit.