Amazon prime instant video - does it work?

Guest JJ_Young

Guest JJ_Young

Hi

I just got a Hudl 2 and on some websites it says amazon instant video works and on others it says it doesnt, I tried to download it from the app store but it says the device isnt compatible when opened.

Anyone got it to work or not?

Ta

JJ

The normal amazon instant video works perfectly. You need to download instant video from Amazon appstore and install it. Then, download and install amazon for tablet from Google playstore.

Open amazon appstore, go to cloud, you will see amazon listed at the top. Click on it, login to your prime account, find the instant video you want to watch and click the massive green "watch now" button and the video will work perfectly on Hudl 2

Edited by 4L0M

Guest CPN200

In a word, yes but it's a bit of a convoluted way of downloading and installing it because of Amazon stupidity! Just had a long conversation with Amazon C.S. Europe and they don't seem to understand that Android Tablets are just the same as Android phones without the phone radio part... doh!

If you go onto the Amazon site with your PC or laptop and you go to the relevant Amazon Prime Instant Video section, you'll see precisely 3 tablet devices in their list of compatible devices...

Kindle Fire (oh! quelle surprise!! ;-)

Apple iPad

Apple iPad Mini

Absolutely ridiculous and I got a whole load of blithering rubbish about "well it won't work properly on your device because it's not in our list".... TOSH!!

Ok, here's how to do it. (I've just noticed someone has posted the androidpolice link but if you want to get the very latest version, I'll carry on...)

1. If you already have the Amazon App downloaded from the Google Play Store, uninstall it first.

2. The version of Amazon's own App from their own store is currently v5.3.1.200 - this is the one you want.

3. The download link to get the apk file "TAP_TO_INSTALL_AmazonApp_GB.apk" is http://amazon.co.uk/androidapp but you need to open this link on an Android phone. It won't come up properly on the Hudl2.

4. When you open this link on your phone, it will bring up their mobile screen with multiple "Download the Amazon App" buttons down the page. Hit the download button and the apk file will go into your "downloads" folder on your phone.

5. Obviously you need to transfer this whole file onto your Hudl2. Depending on your phone, if you can, use a micro SD card to copy the file over or do what I did and use a cloud drive like dropbox, googledrive, onedrive etc to effect a copy via one of those onto your Hudl2

6. Once you've got the file across to your Hudl2 (and selected "allow unknown sources" in settings, apps) select the apk and do the install of the new Amazon app on the tablet.

7. Presuming you are a paid-up Amazon Prime member, open the Amazon App on your Hudl2 and login if not already.

8. Hit the menu button top left and on the slide out menu hit "Amazon Instant Video" and go to the library.

9. Select a (currently) free Prime Instant Video, for example, "Divergent" and when it comes up, instead of a "Watch Now" button you will see a button directing you to directly download the Amazon "Instant Video" (green logo).

10. Once you have downloaded and installed this, if you go back to "Divergent" (or any other free video that is part of your Prime membership) you will see that the button I spoke of in (9) above has now changed to "Watch Now" (you may have to re-start the main Amazon App if it doesn't come up first time).

11. Sit back and enjoy your Prime Instant Video membership on your Hudl2 (even though Amazon says it's not possible at the moment...)

Colin

Edited by CPN200

No offence Colin, but that is one of the most convoluted installs I have ever seen. I especially do not understand the mobile phone required to get/install the Amazon app. The Amazon appstore from Amazon site installs perfectly on Hudl2 without any requirement to first use a mobile phone.

Guest CPN200

None taken. :-)

I have just checked on my Hudl2 and the Amazon for Tablets App from the Google Play Store (v5.51.3410) does not work as you describe on the Hudl2.

The reason for the mobile phone requirement is that Amazon's site will not open up the mobile page on the Hudl2. It takes you to the main page when you try and open it in Chrome and you can't get at the required download link from there... If the OP hasn't got the Amazon Appstore app already, he won't be able to get it from the Play store because it has now gone.

I'm interested to know how you navigated your way into the Amazon for Tablets app to get to a prime video with the green button (Watch Now) available? On mine, even though I am correctly logged in, all I get underneath the graphic is no button and a "This video is currently unavailable for this device etc etc". Are you sure you are not referring to the "Instant Video" app itself? (which of course works directly and obtaining it directly was the purpose of my post...)

Additionally, I have again just opened v5.51.3410 from the Play store and trawling through the Amazon App Store with it, all I ever get is "This mobile application does not currently support digital downloads. Add this item to your wish list and you can view and purchase it from your computer."?! (on the Hudl2...)

Hi there. I don't know what to say to you, but I installed the Amazon for tablet app from Google playstore less than 2 hours ago.

It installed fine. If you then open the Amazon app store, go to cloud, it will be listed there. Click it, it starts up, login. Done.

You do realise that you can put your mobile browsers into desktop mode at the click of a button in settings and then visit the Amazon site and download the .apk for Amazon appstore?

Although, unless they have changed things in the last few months, I didn't need to do this to get the appstore installed on Hudl2

Guest CPN200

Hi there. I don't know what to say to you, but I installed the Amazon for tablet app from Google playstore less than 2 hours ago.

It installed fine. If you then open the Amazon app store, go to cloud, it will be listed there. Click it, it starts up, login. Done.

You do realise that you can put your mobile browsers into desktop mode at the click of a button in settings and then visit the Amazon site and download the .apk for Amazon appstore?

Although, unless they have changed things in the last few months, I didn't need to do this to get the appstore installed on Hudl2

You seem to be saying that using the "Amazon for Tablets" app, you are opening "Amazon App Store"?

I see no such entry on the first menu. Under "Shop by Department" and in that list that comes up I then see an "Appstore for Android" entry and then opening that gives "Appstore" with "Games directly below. Tapping on "Appstore" produces a page with three rows of categories on it and with no mention of the word "Cloud" anywhere on it... I'm puzzled and beginning to wonder if we are we looking at the same thing?

If you are talking about the Amazon Appstore app itself (standalone) then of course there are the words "Cloud" and "Device" at the head of its page and I'm fully familiar with that...

That is a very useful link you posted by the way! :-)

I'm sorry, I should have made myself clearer.

I was talking about the Amazon appstore app, not the Amazon tablet app.

Anyway, to cut a very long story short, YES! It works on Hudl2.

Guest Metztli

I'm curious, do the other commenters successfully access Prime instant video, or the general app. I say this because the reason I went for the version I'm using is that 5 weeks ago no other route worked.

EDITED- I spotted the bit in your list... sorry.

Best

Sam

Edited by Metztli

Guest JJ_Young

Hi

Thanks for the info.

4L0M - I tried it your way but still get this device isn't compatible or something like that.

When I download the apps and go to cloud it opens instant video and asks me to hit continue and it then opens up the Amazon web page and i still get the same device not compatible message, the same if I go through the Amazon for tablets app.

CPN200- I will give your way a try but I don't have an android phone only iPhone so can't get the file, is there another way to get it?

Thanks for your help guys.

Guest CPN200

Did you try the link in post #8 directly in Chrome on your Hudl2? Tried it on mine and it works perfectly. Once you have the Amazon Appstore installed and open, search for "Instant Video".... and download that... (remember to change settings in "Apps" on your tablet to allow installation from unknown sources first...)

I successfully use instant video app on hudl2.

Download amazon appstore if you do not have it yet from the link I posted above.

Install appstore.

Open appstore. Search for instant video app and install it.

Go to Google play store.

Search for Amazon app for tablet.

Install it.

Open up amazon appstore app.

Go to tab called "cloud"

There should be an Amazon icon shown there. Click it.

Amazon will open up.

Login or choose continue if you already are logged into Amazon.

Search for any instant video on prime. Click on video.

It will start playing in the instant video player.

You can now use instant video app all the time, all videos work fine for me through the app.

Good Luck!

You may not need amazon for tablet, but I had the problem shown in your screenshot until I added this extra step.

Screenshot_2015-03-15-20-05-16_zps1kmi4j

Screenshot_2015-03-15-20-05-27_zpszjvgqt

Edited by 4L0M

• 1 year later...
Guest pervigilis

Coming very late to this discussion: I have never had a problem playing movies etc. from Amazon Prime Video, but there is no download button visible on my screen, just the play button. Early on in this discussion, CPN200 said " 9. Select a (currently) free Prime Instant Video, for example, "Divergent" and when it comes up, instead of a "Watch Now" button you will see a button directing you to directly download the Amazon "Instant Video" (green logo). "

This is never mentioned later in the exchange with 4L0M. The discussion seems only to revolve around the Play function from the online link. So as far as I can see 4L0M never deals with the issue of not being able to download films to watch later. This is what I want to be able to do so ??? I know the Hudl is a bit past its Prime (pun intended), but not having an android phone on which to attempt the more complicated app download suggested by CPN200, I am wondering if I have missed something in my understanding of the later discussion?