[DEV][ROM][24.4.] CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1) for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
17 hours ago, salv2014 said:

Hi, I'd like to report some issues with my Zte Open C. I have 3 devices with common problems.

I have SIM card detection broken for the 80% of the times I turn-ON the device. It fails during the startup, so I reboot many times until the sim card will be correctly detected. The detection was greatly improved in the 17.11, but failures are still present. The strange is... the sim card appears to be not detected, but If someone calls me, it appears my phone number is UP.. but I can't see the incoming call. Failures will increase when the battery is not full charged. Another ting.. when the device boots and doesn't detect the sim card, the phone is a little more warmer and the battery will be low in short. Today I used another SIM card to import some sim contacts, then re-insered my original SIM card.. and now it no longer detect my SIM.. I am rebooting a lot of times. My SIM in correctly working on another phone ( another Open C with the ZTE 4.4.2 original Android ). Latest UPDATE: when I charged the battery at 100% my SIM card comes detected again.

I find that somewhat hard to believe or you're exaggerating at least. I've been able to reproduce the SIM PIN issue myself but it happens quite rarely for me. Something wrong with CM12.1 as I've been told this is not reproducible in CM11/CM13. Could be something with how background processes are limited on low RAM devices (you could try adjusting properties in build.prop under memory tag). I've neved heard anyone have any problems with connecting to camera. You being able to reproduce these on three devices and in this extent, I'd say likely something wrong at your end. Third party apps/tweaks/hacks (e.g. exposed framework) come to mind. Also make sure you've followed installation instructions in the third post.

Then.. when I move an app on the SD card, during the next 3-4 device reboots the icon will be removed.

This is a known issue with CM's Trebuchet launcher. Use a different launcher from the Play Store - or don't move apps you keep on your homescreen to sdcard.

Another ting.. when I have a call and I touch with the ear on the phone, it will make a caos.. my device has not the sensor, so.. how can I freeze my display or having a nice usage like the original ZTE Android version ?

How does it work any different in stock Android? Adjust screen timeout or use power button to toggle the display on/off.

Guest salv2014

I have not problems with SIM PIN, but with the SIM detection, and it seems to be related to someting familiar with the battery status. When I go back to EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip this problem will disappear and SIM card will be correctly detected on every boot, so not an hardware issue.

Camera too.. I can't remember exactly the message but it say someting similar to "cannot connect to camera", I am using the default Camera app coming with CyanogenMod 12.1.

Then, I don't know if this is a bug or not. In contacts It does not appear the option to show SIM card contacts. but when I try to import SIM contacts to phone or on an account, this will word correctly. I cannot see too the option to copy contacts from phone to SIM ( sometimes I really need that ).

Thanks

Edited by salv2014

Guest KonstaT

I have not problems with SIM PIN, but with the SIM detection, and it seems to be related to someting familiar with the battery status. When I go back to EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip this problem will disappear and SIM card will be correctly detected on every boot, so not an hardware issue.

Camera too.. I can't remember exactly the message but it say someting similar to "cannot connect to camera", I am using the default Camera app coming with CyanogenMod 12.1.

Then, I don't know if this is a bug or not. In contacts It does not appear the option to show SIM card contacts. but when I try to import SIM contacts to phone or on an account, this will word correctly. I cannot see too the option to copy contacts from phone to SIM ( sometimes I really need that ).

Thanks

Same thing. Like said, only CM12.1 has this issue and it hasn't been there always either (previous build are listed in the second post). You can also try changing those memory properties like I said above. There also must be something going on in your end that makes the situtation worse. Start with a clean install and work from there.

SIM contacts works as intended. You can use a third party app if you need to export contacts to SIM.

Guest drake763

Hi, sorry to bother with probably trivial questions:

If I build your ROM myself according to the guide on the first page of this thread, will I automatically get the latest security patch level or do you always have to apply those patches by hand?

Also, I've tried repo sync, but it fails with 

Fetching projects:  94% (519/552)  Fetching project CyanogenMod/android_hardware_qcom_audio
Fetching projects:  95% (525/552)  Fetching project CyanogenMod/android_hardware_qcom_audio
Fetching project CyanogenMod/android_hardware_qcom_audio

error: Exited sync due to fetch errors

The command

repo sync --force-sync KonstaT/android_device_zte_kis3

gives 

Fetching project KonstaT/android_device_zte_kis3

and nothing more, but a normal repo sync afterwards still stops at 95%. Would you have any hint as how to solve this?

Many thanks in advance!

PS: If I want to stay more or less up to date when it comes to security updates, would you recommend to move to cyanogen 12.1 or maybe even 13 or could I also stick with 11 and hope that patches will be backported so that I can at least compile my own build with the instructions from your ZTE Open C cm11 thread?

Guest KonstaT
51 minutes ago, drake763 said:

Hi, sorry to bother with probably trivial questions:

If I build your ROM myself according to the guide on the first page of this thread, will I automatically get the latest security patch level or do you always have to apply those patches by hand?

Also, I've tried repo sync, but it fails with 

Fetching projects:  94% (519/552)  Fetching project CyanogenMod/android_hardware_qcom_audio
Fetching projects:  95% (525/552)  Fetching project CyanogenMod/android_hardware_qcom_audio

error: Exited sync due to fetch errors

The command

repo sync --force-sync KonstaT/android_device_zte_kis3

gives 

Fetching project KonstaT/android_device_zte_kis3

and nothing more, but a normal repo sync afterwards still stops at 95%. Would you have any hint as how to solve this?

Many thanks in advance!

PS: If I want to stay more or less up to date when it comes to security updates, would you recommend to move to cyanogen 12.1 or maybe even 13 or could I also stick with 11 and hope that patches will be backported so that I can at least compile my own build with the instructions from your ZTE Open C cm11 thread?

Check the output prior to that. There should be info which repository fails to sync. It's something else than the device tree which didn't return any error. Either way, it's most likely just some temporary server side issue. 'repo --trace sync' if you need repo to be more verbose.

CM merges Android security bulletins usually couple of days after Google has pushed them to AOSP. You'll only need to repo sync to get them. I apply kernel CVE patches to all active branches so you'll get those, too. cm-11.0, cm-12.1, and cm-13.0 branches are still maintained and now updated to January 2016 security patch level.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest drake763
17 hours ago, KonstaT said:

Check the output prior to that. There should be info which repository fails to sync. It's something else than the device tree which didn't return any error. Either way, it's most likely just some temporary server side issue. 'repo --trace sync' if you need repo to be more verbose.

CM merges Android security bulletins usually couple of days after Google has pushed them to AOSP. You'll only need to repo sync to get them. I apply kernel CVE patches to all active branches so you'll get those, too. cm-11.0, cm-12.1, and cm-13.0 branches are still maintained and now updated to January 2016 security patch level.

Thank you very much, there were indeed hints that some bits had to be overwritten with force-sync, sorry for not having seen those in the first place!

Also many many thanks for applying the CVE to allactive branches :) My Open C currently runs great with cm11 and I was hesitant to upgrade... now I feel safe when using a self compiled ROM from your work, thanks a lot!

• 1 month later...
Guest DavidWhitlow

Apologies if this question is very naive. I saw here in Germany zte kis  3 with dual SIM. Is it the equivalent of V811W? Does it mean both SIMS will not work? I will be happy even if one SIM works with cm-12.1. From the another thread do I understand correctly cm-11 will have dualSIM working properly?

Can anyone post a photo of a printed paper from kis 3 camera? I want to buy this for small basic email usage (+ try fxos). Thanks a lot (also to KonstaT)

Guest KonstaT
2 hours ago, DavidWhitlow said:

Apologies if this question is very naive. I saw here in Germany zte kis  3 with dual SIM. Is it the equivalent of V811W? Does it mean both SIMS will not work? I will be happy even if one SIM works with cm-12.1. From the another thread do I understand correctly cm-11 will have dualSIM working properly?

Can anyone post a photo of a printed paper from kis 3 camera? I want to buy this for small basic email usage (+ try fxos). Thanks a lot (also to KonstaT)

Are you sure it's 'Kis 3' (Qualcomm msm8610) and not e.g. 'Kis 3 Max' (MediaTek) or something else? I'd surprised if there was a dual-SIM variant on European market. V811W is sold in few countries in Asia (IIRC also sold as Kis 3 somewhere) and Blade M is sold in Russia. Those are the two dual-SIM variants that I'm aware of. Dual-SIM variants don't have working telephony in CM12.1/CM13/Firefox OS/Sailfish OS. Only CM11/CAF Android build will work on those devices and you also need to manually set a system property to enable dual-SIM features (see FAQ on CM11 thread).

Camera is absolute rubbish. It's actually only 2mpix sensor that is software interpolated to 3mpix.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest DavidWhitlow

Thanks KonstaT for quick reply.

22 hours ago, KonstaT said:

Are you sure it's 'Kis 3' (Qualcomm msm8610) and not e.g. 'Kis 3 Max' (MediaTek) or something else?

this is the link www ebay.de/itm/281943695157

22 hours ago, KonstaT said:

Camera is absolute rubbish. It's actually only 2mpix sensor that is software interpolated to 3mpix.

In that case, I will skip this phone. But many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vellow

KonstaT,

About hacking this CM 12.1 to run in dual sim mode.

I was copy all file ( RIL and Qualcomm framework from CM11 ) refer to your github to CM12.1.

and add "persist.radio.multisim.comfig=dsds" in build.prop but still wont work.

I dont know which file dependencys needs for those file, so i skip that step.

update : after searching on xda and add some lines in the build.prob, dual sim option is now there, but i still can't enable it, it is grey-out.

the line i was added is :

persist.radio.plmn_name_cmp=1
persist.radio.force_get_pref=1
persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds
ro.dual.sim.phone=true
persist.dsds.enabled=true

is it related to dependencies that i skiped to copy ? or it caused by something else ?

and phone app is always crash.

Edited by vellow

Guest KonstaT
9 hours ago, vellow said:

KonstaT,

About hacking this CM 12.1 to run in dual sim mode.

I was copy all file ( RIL and Qualcomm framework from CM11 ) refer to your github to CM12.1.

and add "persist.radio.multisim.comfig=dsds" in build.prop but still wont work.

I dont know which file dependencys needs for those file, so i skip that step.

update : after searching on xda and add some lines in the build.prob, dual sim option is now there, but i still can't enable it, it is grey-out.

the line i was added is :

persist.radio.plmn_name_cmp=1
persist.radio.force_get_pref=1
persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds
ro.dual.sim.phone=true
persist.dsds.enabled=true

is it related to dependencies that i skiped to copy ? or it caused by something else ?

and phone app is always crash.

Err, what? Those files are already exactly the same as in CM11 - no point in copying the same files over. Problem is that those old KitKat blobs don't work with the native dual-SIM support that was introduced in Android Lollipop. Like said, you need to copy those from some other device. Some dual-SIM Qualcomm device running stock Lollipop (this device hasn't received an official Lollipop update), I don't know which one.

Adding that one system property is enough (it's config - not comfig btw). You need to reboot your device after adding it of course.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest vellow
1 hour ago, KonstaT said:

Err, what? Those files are already exactly the same as in CM11 - no point in copying the same files over. Problem is that those old KitKat blobs don't work with the native dual-SIM support that was introduced in Android Lollipop. Like said, you need to copy those from some other device. Some dual-SIM Qualcomm device running stock Lollipop (this device hasn't received an official Lollipop update), I don't know which one.

Adding that one system property is enough (it's config - not comfig btw). You need to reboot your device after adding it of course.

Oh ok, i was wrong then. sorry.

After searching in the net, found that zte blade s6 ( seems like you also created recovery for this device), htc m8 dual sim or even samsung galaxy mega - confirmed those are qualcomm device have official/custom lollipop.

I have downloaded those CM12 roms, but it contain .dat compression file, after using other dat extractor or dat/ext reader, I still cant extract it.

Grrr... I'm stuck.

Guest KonstaT
12 minutes ago, vellow said:

Finally.

Zte v811w CM12 dual sim work.

Data work, call work, SMS work.

Thank you KonstaT.

Now, let's try in CM 13.

Great. :) What device did you copy those blobs from?

Guest KonstaT
21 minutes ago, vellow said:

I took it from Sony Xperia M Dual Sim in this xda thread.

I need to thank you to those guys. :)

Hmm, so you mean this? Those are actually from Xiaomi Mi2.

Can you share your patch so I can have a look if it needs some polish. I'm sure other users will also appreciate this. :)

Guest vellow
14 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

Hmm, so you mean this? Those are actually from Xiaomi Mi2.

Can you share your patch so I can have a look if it needs some polish. I'm sure other users will also appreciate this. :)

Well, i'm just a newbie doing something new. I dont know exactly what device it come from.

I was only downloading these 2 files from my link above.

"Fix_Dual_data_and_initd.zip" and "mi2-lp-ril-blobs2.zip".

I extract those zip and merge all binaries into your build. The script I was copy is only init.d script in that zip file.

small issue : My 2nd operator name display is same with 1st SIM ( I cant changed it ), but all other function related to it is work normally as i state before.

and yes, it does need your polish :).

Guest vellow

Another issue is, after a reboot, it tooks several minutes to get signal for both sim.

And, most of the times lost signal if wifi is turned off.

btw, i still cant extract the dat compression file, and i think the best binaries would be from xperia M dual sim and it has official CM support.

if there's anyone willing to help me, get those blobs from here. I'll be happy to test it.

Edited by vellow

Guest KonstaT
19 hours ago, vellow said:

btw, i still cant extract the dat compression file, and i think the best binaries would be from xperia M dual sim and it has official CM support.

if there's anyone willing to help me, get those blobs from here. I'll be happy to test it.

I still think it would be better to use binary blobs from some close to reference b-family device (msm8610/msm8226/msm8974). Those share the same code base in Qualcomm's platform reference. Xperia M (msm8227) and Xiaomi Mi2 (apq8064) are older a-family devices. These are closed source drivers so I don't actually know if there's anything platform specific in telephony stack/qcom framework/etc. Somehow I'd still prefer something that is 'closer' to this device.

You can use this tool to extract dat files. That's unnecessary for official CM devices, though, as proprietary files are available at github (TheMuppets).

Edited by KonstaT

Guest vellow

KonstaT,

If i want to change to single sim, which file do i have to flash?

And if i want to revert back, is it just simply flash stock rom again?

Looks like it is almost impossible to have a smooth dual sim working. Last nicki propietary from the link you gave me causing bootloop. But i still will looking for this blobs. You were right about blobs i used before, it was xiaomi mi2.

Btw, do you plan to release nightly cm build too ?

Update : I'm not continuing find blobs for CM12.1 :), i found another one for CM13.

Edited by vellow

Guest KonstaT
2 hours ago, Muhlis said:

ZTE v811w why I once flashed using 12 cm why the SIM card unreadable

What does it say in the first post about dual-SIM devices (V811W)? What's been discussed in the few previous posts above?