Will a factory reset unroot

Guest pryddie

Guest pryddie

I rooted using the command prompt on my PC and T3 method in rooting hudl2

I want to unroot my hudl2 as since doing so my sky and virgin anywhere apps don't work on rooted devices.

I apologise mate I really do but my heads shredded lol

Guest pryddie

Hi mate

I have used the T3 method with the launcher and used the unroot zip however it still says it's rooted

Any ideas please

Thanks

Tell you what - just flash the last rooted image that Paul created in the 'pinned' rooting thread at the top of this forum, then when you reboot your re-imaged hudl2 with the now out-of-date image, it'll want to download the latest update again - just let it.

You'll then end up with a hudl2 running the latest OTA update and it'll have removed the root anyway - simplez!

:ninja:

Guest crusader58

Not getting anywhere here lol worst thing I've ever done was root

Any advice on below is much appreciated

Remove

/system/app/Superuser.apk (can not delete file)

/system/xbin/su (can not delete file)

/system/xbin/daemonsu (can not delete file)

/system/etc/install-recovery.sh (can not delete file)

/system/bin/su (not there )

Download Root Explorer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer

Run it and when it asks for Root Permission, Grant it.( This is essential)

Navigate to the files listed above and delete them.

Edited by crusader58

Guest pryddie

Tell you what - just flash the last rooted image that Paul created in the 'pinned' rooting thread at the top of this forum, then when you reboot your re-imaged hudl2 with the now out-of-date image, it'll want to download the latest update again - just let it.

You'll then end up with a hudl2 running the latest OTA update and it'll have removed the root anyway - simplez!

Is it This one;

• Rooted Image for 20140924.194555 (r3): DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - ZIP MD5: 9c58e25f5d9786555dc0f5e5f777fda1 / Image MD5: 9329255e0928c69e3ba6f5e4cde7fc6c

If so it comes up with android on his back with Red Exclamation mark and Installation aborted

Guest Robin Wheeler

Is it This one;

* Rooted Image for 20140924.194555 (r3): DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - ZIP MD5: 9c58e25f5d9786555dc0f5e5f777fda1 / Image MD5: 9329255e0928c69e3ba6f5e4cde7fc6c

If so it comes up with android on his back with Red Exclamation mark and Installation aborted

No that is from 2014 the first number is the date you must install those images using Paul's method. You want the 2015 image!

Guest pryddie

Hi mate

Got the 2015 one now but for some reason not working for me

--installing: /external_sd/system.hudl2.rooted20150106.154003.ONLY.r1.zip

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Installing update...

Installation aborted.

Guest Robin Wheeler

Hi mate

Got the 2015 one now but for some reason not working for me

--installing: /external_sd/system.hudl2.rooted20150106.154003.ONLY.r1.zip

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Installing update...

Installation aborted.

You have to unzip it first and use the image file inside

Robin, I get the impression he is just too much in a hurry and isn't fully reading our posts and taking the time to understand them before 'doing stuff' that isn't working and getting more frustrated.

To clear up 'any' misunderstanding with my alternative fix post. Using the 2015 dated 'rooted' system image that Paul posted in his first post of the 'pinned' rooting thread at the top of this forum - follow his procedure to re-image your hudl2 back to a rooted system image which pre-dates your current OTA updated hudl2 build date. Once you have completed successfully Paul's first rooting thread post as soon as your hudl2 reboots it'll or you can force an update check - where it will find it's out of date.

Let it download the latest OTA update and it will automatically install. Once rebooted you will have an updated 'unrooted' hudl2 build.

Job done.

Edited by Guest

Guest pryddie

Hi

So which option do I choose when T3 has put the hudl into boot mode as it asks

restart/reboot

Install zip

Etc etc

How do j load the image

Guest pryddie

If being in a hurry has taken me over a week then I apologise. It's not I'm not reading them at all it's that there are so many ways I've had a go then I'm getting confused

Apologies to one and all

Guest Robin Wheeler

Hi

So which option do I choose when T3 has put the hudl into boot mode as it asks

restart/reboot

Install zip

Etc etc

How do j load the image

As what Paul wrote in the first post in the rooting thread you can not use any recovery to flash an image file.

Guest pryddie

Right guys eventually done as you instructed and I think it's been successfully unrooted?

When I rebooted the device it updated 67 appals and that's was doe via a pop up on start up which run automatically.

The odd thing now is if I run root check it says sorry root access is not properly installed on this device ( which is what I wanted to see) unfortunately sky sports won't at live TV as it still saying not supported on rooted devices even though I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app

Thanks to everyone who has had the time and the patience to help. I know it's been frustrating for you guys when I haven t quite followed what you've said

Guest vampirefo

Just tried my virgin TV anywhere and says same. The tablet is definitely unrooted now though

Flashing a rooted image and then doing a update does not unroot the device, the method I posted does, all you did by flashing a rooted image and upgrading is deleting the one file in etc, device is still rooted but root is disabled.

Very interesting result pryddie, I suppose it all depends upon the contents and scripts included in the latest Tesco OTA update and the mechanisms both Sky and Virginmedia deploy to determine if a device is rooted or not.

Let me be the first to admit on this occasion my method hasn't worked for you in your situation.  :wacko:

Still you've gained valuable experience along the way.  ;)

We (if not I) aren't going to stop offering help to you to achieve your goal, so let's get started - unfortunately (you've guessed it) that requires you to either manually root again via the T3 method you originally carried out to root and then manually delete the related files or using the T3 method using the unroot zip supplied by vampirefo. 

Although I use Virginmedia I don't pay for anything other than internet so won't be able to test wrt Sky or Virginmedia TV anywhere app. Also, please remember vampirefo doesn't have access to a hudl2, but I'm sure we can help you sort this. :ninja:

Edited by Guest

Guest vampirefo

Does anyone have a nonrooted image? Need to use to compare with rooted image to see exactly what was added.

Also without knowing exactly what the app you using is looking for to determine root, you may need to flash a unrooted image if available.

Root is only the files I told you to remove your app maybe be calling something else root, that in fact has nothing to due with root at all.

Edited by vampirefo

Remove

/system/app/Superuser.apk

/system/xbin/su

/system/xbin/daemonsu

/system/etc/install-recovery.sh

/system/bin/su

Some files may not exist, different tablets uses different files, delete what you find from above list.

Ok pryddie for info if you were rooted again here's how to do the above: -

1. Download something like 'android terminal' or 'terminal emulator' from the app store.

2. Run the program.

3. Once you are sitting at a prompt it probably ends in $, lets get into root mode: type 'su' and press 'enter'.

4. Your prompt should now end in #.

5. Now let's remount the system folder so we can make changes type 'mount -o remount,rw /system /system' and press 'enter'.

Now we are at the point where we can delete those files so here goes -

6. Type 'rm /system/app/Superuser.apk' and press 'enter'.

7. Type 'rm /system/xbin/su' and press 'enter'.

8. Type 'rm /system/xbin/daemonsu' and press 'enter'.

After each line is entered (without the ' quotes) you should not see any error but a blank new line. Not sure on the last one (install-recovery.sh).

At this point, exit the terminal app and reboot your hudl2 - once rebooted, this would be a good point to test Sky and Virginmedia apps, you may even need to delete and re-install them to clear any rooted flags they may set.

Food for thought. :ninja:

Edited by Guest

Guest pryddie

Ok pryddie for info if you were rooted again here's how to do the above: -

1. Download something like 'android terminal' or 'terminal emulator' from the app store.

2. Run the program.

3. Once you are sitting at a prompt it probably ends in $, lets get into root mode: type 'su' and press 'enter'.

4. Your prompt should now end in #.

5. Now let's remount the system folder so we can make changes type 'mount -o remount,rw /system /system' and press 'enter'.

Now we are at the point where we can delete those files so here goes -

6. Type 'rm /system/app/Superuser.apk' and press 'enter'.

7. Type 'rm /system/xbin/su' and press 'enter'.

8. Type 'rm /system/xbin/daemonsu' and press 'enter'.

After each line is entered (without the ' quotes) you should not see any error but a blank new line. Not sure on the last one (install-recovery.sh).

At this point, exit the terminal app and reboot your hudl2 - once rebooted, this would be a good point to test Sky and Virginmedia apps, you may even need to delete and re-install them to clear any rooted flags they may set.

Food for thought. :ninja:

Just to let everyone know my progress regarding this. I have now managed to follow the above and my hudl2 says its unrooted. I have managed to now get my sky sports app working and watch live TV, however oddly enough the virgin media anywhere app says it wont work on a modified device!!!

That said I would like to thank EVERYONE for all their time and support they have given and I sincerely appreciate everything

Regards

Pryddie