Stuck on Android logo

Guest boringgit

Guest boringgit

I've searched to no avail - hope this isnt a question which has already been answered :)

So, I tried to be clever - a few days after rooting I noticed the option in Titanium Backup to integrate updates to system apps back into the ROM.... I would suggest that you don't do that - with Google Play services in particular!

I now get to the "Powered by Android" screen or stock recovery only. 

Stock recovery isn't able to flash any of the pre-rooted images I downloaded because they aren't signed - I can't reboot into tethered recovery because it seems that the device hasn't booted far enough to allow adb to control it (I just see the generic microsoft MTP driver - I can see and not modify).

Any help gratefully received :)

Guest Daniel_Twigg

Oh dear!

Stock recovery won't flash the pre-rooted images, because they aren't signed. Have a look for a dump of the full official firmware that IS signed?

Also have you tried factory resetting it in the stock recovery?

Guest boringgit

Many Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately the factory reset did nothing - I think that Titanium left the system partition screwed (Well - I left the system partition screwed - Titanium was the tool I used to do that!)

I wondered about the stock rom download but was having difficulty finding it - Common search term, millions of results but no downloadable files. Will have another search.

Cheers again!

Might I suggest having a look at Paul's pinned 'How to root your hudl2' thread i.e. the 1st post.

All I think you need to do is reflash the system image and take it from there. If you can get into bootloader mode hopefully the fastboot-windows command will work and reflash your system partition. Just use the last dated image Paul has in his post (this can be flashed over the top of a hudl2 that's had the latest OTA update applied - I've had to do that myself).

If your USB debugging is still enabled, it may be a case with the above possible recovery method of just checking your drivers etc for when the hudl2 is in bootloader mode. It's probably the best chance you have at the moment.

Good luck  :ninja:

Edited by Guest

Guest boringgit

Cheers for your reply...

Sorry to ask again, but I'm still struggling!

When I boot to stock recovery I try to restore the latest zip from Pauls post from the sdcard, it fails with: 

E:end of footer from /tmp/sideload/package.zip not 0xFFFF (file exists)

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted

When I try to restore through ADB, by using stock recovery it sits on waiting for device (after I've selected "apply update from ADB" on the device)

The Hudl is only seen as an MTP device when it is sitting on the "powered by Android" screen so I can't reboot to tethered recovery.

If you are able to give me a pointer on which route I should continue with I would appreciate!

Cheers!

Looks like you're misunderstood my solution - you are not 'manually' doing anything with the standard recovery menu.

Please try reading post #388 of that pinned forum post (the top one by Paul) and see where that gets you. There's no manual flashing via the stanard recovery you're using the commands on a windows pc etc.

Please remember to be running the command prompt window as an administrator.

Guest boringgit

No, unfortunately I did understand - it didnt work (no fault of yours - I appreciate you trying to help!) and I was trying to be creative :)

It appears that the "Powered by Android" screen is too early in the boot for the Hudl to respond to the "adb-windows reboot bootloader" command. Windows only sees a generic MTP device, too early to change the drivers or see it in my computer. This did work when it was fully booted, as I was able to root it, so it's unlikely to be a driver issue although I tried it on the "missus" PC as well just to be sure. 

I didnt have high hopes of stock recovery because everyone seems to indicate it's pretty useless and it has proved itself to be so! Unfortunately it seems to be all I have available to me.

If you know anywhere I can find a completely stock rom dump, perhaps I can apply that through stock recovery. I've been searching but no luck so far.

Thanks for your help again!

Guest marcusbirkin

I'm also stuck here.

Does anybody have a signed OTA .zip file?

Or does anybody know the server that the OTA are downloaded from?

Thanks,

Marcus

Guest marcusbirkin

The latest OTA .zip was uploaded by myself earlier it can be found here.

It's as per pushed by Tesco and stored on your hudl2 prior to installation.

Thank you for that, unfortunately it seems it's a diff image, so didn't help me.. oh well at least it was cheap!

• 1 year later...