Bootloader unlocking

Guest LightInDark

Guest Garsay
1 hour ago, dazmatic said:

That would explain why the image I got from the known working Hudl had only got 32 bit efi file, no 64. To which I then flashed a 64bit UEFI which is searching for 64 bit efi and OS. 

Me being an idiot didn't backup the original 32bit UEFI flash and then flashed with 64. Probably would have gotten away with it if I had kept a backup. Silly really as I've backed up everything so far, just thought they were the same.

EDIT: Yep, checked build.prop on newer Hudl, was running 4.4.2. Damn, need a UEFI bin from a 4.4.2 Hudl. 

Can you please try this BIOS to boot Windows? Because I made a pretty important adjustment and it could work.
Much please ?

TAB Tesco Hudl 2 - Win.zip

Guest dazmatic

I'll try that. Got nothing to loose at the minute!

Seeing as your looking into bios's, I've extracted the below from what I believe to be an android 32bit efi. IT's a bios update but in a .fv format, not a .bin so I can't flash it! Can you see if you can convert it to a .bin? Thanks

BIOSUPDATE.zip

Guest dazmatic

Well, I put the 32bit 'BIOSUPDATE.fv' efi file extracted from the hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150529.110309_to_rel.android-build.20150803.092218.zip file into the EFI folder on the emmc and now it won't even boot at all from any source so it's clear to me that's not going to work.

Will have to reflash the uefi again.

Guest Garsay
10 minutes ago, dazmatic said:

Well, I put the 32bit 'BIOSUPDATE.fv' efi file extracted from the hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150529.110309_to_rel.android-build.20150803.092218.zip file into the EFI folder on the emmc and now it won't even boot at all from any source so it's clear to me that's not going to work.

Will have to reflash the uefi again.

It is a pity that it does not want a boot, I do not understand what is there for other problems, but the BIOS is ready for Windows 8, I will not give up, I found HDMI switching, so I solder the cables to SPI and try to flash if I can HDMI as default.
Otherwise, with the BIOS flash update, I didn't find anything about x86 / x64.

Guest dazmatic
15 minutes ago, Garsay said:

It is a pity that it does not want a boot, I do not understand what is there for other problems, but the BIOS is ready for Windows 8, I will not give up, I found HDMI switching, so I solder the cables to SPI and try to flash if I can HDMI as default.
Otherwise, with the BIOS flash update, I didn't find anything about x86 / x64.

I tried windows 10. Windows 8 should work?

Guest Garsay
4 minutes ago, dazmatic said:

I tried windows 10. Windows 8 should work?

I don't see any difference between them, but if you want a ROM on your tablet, you can try it if you want to ...
Should I try to do something about it, or are you not interested in Windows on that tablet?

Guest dazmatic
2 hours ago, Garsay said:

I don't see any difference between them, but if you want a ROM on your tablet, you can try it if you want to ...
Should I try to do something about it, or are you not interested in Windows on that tablet?

Id really like android working so I can give it back to my dad.

Can't even boot a windows 8 image though now which is strange. Windows or Linux on the other would be great as I could probably use it as a sole display for a laser engraver

Edited by dazmatic

Guest dazmatic

Can boot android x86 to install but it won't boot thereafter so whatever you've done to the uefi file has not been for the better it seems. Will flash back 

Guest Garsay
27 minutes ago, dazmatic said:

Can boot android x86 to install but it won't boot thereafter so whatever you've done to the uefi file has not been for the better it seems. Will flash back 

It should be better for Windows, not for Android, but good that you wrote it, I'll keep trying.
I soldered SPI flash to CH341 again, so I can try it with myself.
It is interesting that I can not activate HDMI as the default display, but according to the settings it should go, if it does not solve, so I can not try anything and the display in the Czech Republic can not get.
58373329_1211861915645861_8190314144537247744_n.jpg.f7f4a00a2874a851e58801b93c774328.jpg

Guest Garsay
6 hours ago, dazmatic said:

Yeah, that's what I was hoping for. With previous uefi I could boot android x86 fine so something isn't quite right.

Can you please send me your original UEFI dump? It seems to me that mine is a little kicked.
Thank you

Guest dazmatic

Can't I'm afraid, my original uefi dump was done at a time when I had the crappy FT2232H board and the dump is garble.  There is a link below however that I've found with a bios that someone from a previous post on this thread linked to which is an original bios and it compares well but no indication whether it's 32 or 64bit. I've not tried flashing it yet but what the hell, I might try on my 4.4.2 tablet.

https://sites.google.com/site/unferium/x86-store-area/HUDL2-BIOS-copy1.BIN

Guest Garsay
42 minutes ago, dazmatic said:

Can't I'm afraid, my original uefi dump was done at a time when I had the crappy FT2232H board and the dump is garble.  There is a link below however that I've found with a bios that someone from a previous post on this thread linked to which is an original bios and it compares well but no indication whether it's 32 or 64bit. I've not tried flashing it yet but what the hell, I might try on my 4.4.2 tablet.

https://sites.google.com/site/unferium/x86-store-area/HUDL2-BIOS-copy1.BIN

Thank you. As I can see, my ROM is not kicked, but what I considered to be bugs are log records. I just don't understand why enchce it to HDMI, it's possible that it wants to turn off fastboot, or turn on the UEFI setup option to run after a system restart with a command. But it is too much for me, I do not have so much time to do it, hopefully I will get to it ?

Guest dazmatic
5 minutes ago, Garsay said:

Thank you. As I can see, my ROM is not kicked, but what I considered to be bugs are log records. I just don't understand why enchce it to HDMI, it's possible that it wants to turn off fastboot, or turn on the UEFI setup option to run after a system restart with a command. But it is too much for me, I do not have so much time to do it, hopefully I will get to it ?

What are you using to read the ROM? I'd like to take a look. Just been readings the forums at win-raid.com and they seem quite knowledgeable when it comes to bios modding.  

Guest dazmatic

So it turns out that needing to solder/reprogram the bios each team isn't needed.

Been speaking over at the win-raid forums and was made aware it's possible to change the bios variables from a special EFI grub

https://www.win-raid.com/t4638f16-Request-UEFI-Bios-mod-request-to-unlock-menu-s-for-tablet-bios-Hudl.html

So far I've managed to disable the fast boot and enabled text mode but still can't get into the bios menu.

Guest Garsay
36 minutes ago, dazmatic said:

So it turns out that needing to solder/reprogram the bios each team isn't needed.

Been speaking over at the win-raid forums and was made aware it's possible to change the bios variables from a special EFI grub

https://www.win-raid.com/t4638f16-Request-UEFI-Bios-mod-request-to-unlock-menu-s-for-tablet-bios-Hudl.html

So far I've managed to disable the fast boot and enabled text mode but still can't get into the bios menu.

Hi, I'm sorry I haven't heard from you for a long time, I'm very busy.
1. I use the UEFITool tool to explore UEFI and HxD for editing in Hexadecimal.
2. Your Pogo pin programmer is very useful. I also thought about something like that, but unfortunately I don't have the equipment and the time.
3. Your request is good, it would be useful if someone tried it.
I've found everything like switching Windows / Android, HDMI / eDP / Auto (I needed it), and besides SecureBoot I found OS Indication, where you can switch to UEFI Setup from the system by command.
Perhaps I will find time for the weekend and something will happen to me.
Even so I am glad that I am not alone and that you are also interested in it ?

Guest oimster

>Even so I am glad that I am not alone and that you are also interested in it 

There's more of us lurking silently... I'm also interested in booting Ubuntu and alternative android versions, but don't have a spare to test on, only the one that i use most days, so i'm waiting for a tried and tested process first ?

Edited by oimster

Guest Garsay
2 hours ago, oimster said:

>Even so I am glad that I am not alone and that you are also interested in it 

There's more of us lurking silently... I'm also interested in booting Ubuntu and alternative android versions, but don't have a spare to test on, only the one that i use most days, so i'm waiting for a tried and tested process first ?

Hi ?
If you want, I have a bootloader with an unlocked SecureBoot that can run with the original android, but with Ubuntu.
On Ubuntu, I started running WiFi and Bluetooth, but they didn't work before, but the touch that doesn't work, so as dazmatic wrote, I probably won't work because I don't have a display module.
I'm trying to make Windows (8.1 / 10), we have a problem with ACPI resulting from UEFI settings. I even know which variables to change, I gave it a lot of hours, but I'm still without good results. I do it for the first time, but I believe that it will happen to some of us ?

Guest dazmatic

There's 1 variable I'd like to change, it's a PCI setting that's currently set for Linux boot which of course android and Ubuntu is. It can be changed to a Windows boot which I feel might work.

Being able to change from the uefi bootloader though is brill as it means no more dodgy flashing connections.

Guest Garsay
13 minutes ago, dazmatic said:

There's 1 variable I'd like to change, it's a PCI setting that's currently set for Linux boot which of course android and Ubuntu is. It can be changed to a Windows boot which I feel might work.

Being able to change from the uefi bootloader though is brill as it means no more dodgy flashing connections. 

Yes, you're right, I didn't notice that before. I can find the change that bit is. It is possible that it will work with Ubuntu and Windows after the change, with Android not having to. Thank you for a great note, I have to try it out at the weekend, maybe even today, I'll share it all. ?