Smart ultra 6 or Alcatel Idol 3?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

I have both devices here... my initial observations:

• The Alcatel feels like a more premium device
  • The Su6 feels faster
  • The Su6 seems to have a better camera

Aside from that, they are very similar. I suspect the Idol 3 is more likely to get OS updates in the future, but then it is £75 more, so you pays your money, etc. etc.!

P

Guest Wayne877

The Alcatel and the su6 seem to have similar internals, (sd615, 2GB, 16GB, HD screen) so I was wondering why they seem to have so dissimilar antutu scores.?

Guest KonstaT

The Alcatel and the su6 seem to have similar internals, (sd615, 2GB, 16GB, HD screen) so I was wondering why they seem to have so dissimilar antutu scores.?

Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 has true 64-bit build of Linux kernel and Android while Vodafone Smart Ultra/ZTE Blade S6 variants only run 32-bit builds. It's really a shame ZTE has chosen not to utilize this as both hardware and Android Lollipop support 64-bit.

Guest Wayne877

Forgive my ignorance but does that mean its a hardware issue or a software one?

If its software, does that mean if the bootloader could be unlocked then would flashing a 64 bit kernal along with a rom rebuild essentially solve the issue?

Guest KonstaT

If its software, does that mean if the bootloader could be unlocked then would flashing a 64 bit kernal along with a rom rebuild essentially solve the issue?

It's a software issue. You couldn't build a 64-bit ROM (e.g. CyanogenMod) before ZTE released a 64-bit stock firmware. There's bunch of hardware specific binary drivers that you need to extract from the stock firmware and I don't think you could use the 32-bit ones.

Guest eLJay

Damn I was about to rush out and buy a vodafone smart ultra but there's no point until someone has is running 64 bit.

No point running 32 bit software on a 64 bit phone, it's a bit like sticking a Reliant Robin motor in a Ferrari.

Is this likely to get a 64 bit os or should I hang back and see?

Edited by eLJay

Guest KonstaT

Damn I was about to rush out and buy a vodafone smart ultra but there's no point until someone has is running 64 bit.

No point running 32 bit software on a 64 bit phone, it's a bit like sticking a Reliant Robin motor in a Ferrari.

Is this likely to get a 64 bit os or should I hang back and see?

I think the chances of this device getting any kind of updates (even to Android 5.1 let alone Android M) are slim to none. ZTE releasing a 64-bit build would basically mean starting everything from the scratch and it's highly unlikely they're ever going to do that. It also looks like the bootloader is/stays firmly locked, so you won't be getting any custom ROM fun either.

It really isn't that big of a deal, average user won't know/notice any difference. BTW also the new 3rd gen Moto G runs 32-bit build on a 64-bit capable hardware...

Guest Wayne877

So just having a 64 bit hardware doesn't guarantee 64 bit software!

So how does someone like me discern which handset is actually 64 bit? I'm guessing my original observation with antutu scores could be a good indicator

Guest Wayne877

Yes I realise that, i was just suggesting it could be an indicator along with other things. 

It's just that I wouldn't really know what to look for!

Guest eLJay

Well I noticed when I moved from a 32 to 64 bit PC OS on the same hardware as it was a lot smoother and more stable.

I take it many apps are probably still 32 bit but the 64 bit ones would have an extended instruction set and therefore an improved process efficiency?

Edited by eLJay
Correcting info

• 1 month later...

Hi am looking for a budget phone with decent performance and good battery life I don't want to go beyond £200 so I've narrowed it down to the Vodafone smart ultra 6, alcatel idol 3 or the Asus zenfone 2 I was wondering which will prove a better investment. Alternatively I could go for a Sony xperia z2 second hand on eBay.  I've heard the 615 chip gets really hot. 

Guest BlueMoonRising

Is it actually an issue though, synthetic benchmarks aside?

Guest BlueMoonRising

I think the chances of this device getting any kind of updates (even to Android 5.1 let alone Android M) are slim to none. ZTE releasing a 64-bit build would basically mean starting everything from the scratch and it's highly unlikely they're ever going to do that. It also looks like the bootloader is/stays firmly locked, so you won't be getting any custom ROM fun either.

It really isn't that big of a deal, average user won't know/notice any difference. BTW also the new 3rd gen Moto G runs 32-bit build on a 64-bit capable hardware...

Or then again... http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/375738-trying-my-best-to-get-an-answer-from-vodafone/?do=findComment&comment=2264171

And yes, I know it's only an agent saying this and they're not usually the best informed.

Guest KonstaT

Or then again... http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/375738-trying-my-best-to-get-an-answer-from-vodafone/?do=findComment&comment=2264171

And yes, I know it's only an agent saying this and they're not usually the best informed.

Honestly I've been quite surprised that it's even received two OTAs now. Including a relatively speedy update for the stagefright vulnerabilities (just makes you wonder why they're not patching those very well known root exploits :P).

Android 5.1 update is not something that you get done in a week or two (it's months instead). Either they've planned an update for a long time or there's some misinformation...

Edited by KonstaT

Guest ohyesman

Well the phone was out for a good 2 months or so before I even heard of if - You could get one beginning of June I believe, plus I expect they been working on 5.1 for a good while now and only released the handset with 5.02 due to bugs to be ironed out - May explain why all the literature and marketing states 5.1.. I think they were not quiet happy with it and instead of delaying the release the left 5.02 on it...

Could be wrong but at the end of the day, for me, 5.02 works a ton better than it did on my moto g (vodafone/zte must of addressed some of the 5.02 issues plaguing the Moto G) and if the improvements that 5.1 are supposed to bring on those sort of devices apply to this phone then I am very hopeful that the SU6 will become even better!

Still no stagefright patch on the moto either - never buying a Motorola phone again!