[Recovery] TWRP 3.0.2-0

Guest KonstaT

Guest Neositroid

Perfect, everything in order.
Maybe I should wait for another way to root the Blade. I don't own another device to make tests.
It seems strange to me that the first time I tried rooting with Kingroot and SuperSU ME, it installed the binaries the normal way and the device didn't boot, no matter how many times I try...
And this time, the device rebooted after rooting (2nd.Attempt) but SuperSU ME was unable to cope with the binaries. That's why I decided to flash them through TWRP, and you know the result.
Maybe I did something wrong. Thankyou!I

Perfect, everything in order.
Maybe I should wait for another way to root the Blade. I don't own another device to make tests.
It seems strange to me that the first time I tried rooting with Kingroot and SuperSU ME, it installed the binaries the normal way and the device didn't boot, no matter how many times I try...
And this time, the device rebooted after rooting (2nd.Attempt) but SuperSU ME was unable to cope with the binaries. That's why I decided to flash them through TWRP, and you know the result.
Maybe I did something wrong. Thankyou!I

At least you now know how to restore your device. :) Also next time make a nandroid backup in TWRP before you install anything. Restoring a backup is a lot easier way to restore your device.

Flashing SuperSU zip in TWRP should work. I don't know if it collided somehow with the root exploit tools you had to use or what happened...

Edited by KonstaT

• 3 weeks later...
Guest markbrum

Hello,

I am a real newbie to all of this. Can anyone help me at all?

I updated my ZTE Blade S6 with what I thought was the latest software version.

I updated via SD card and all seemed well until a quarter way through the update stopped and my phone went off and I cannot turn it back on again with the hard reset mode. if i connect a usb to the phone, the light comes on. If I connect to the PC, i do hear a connection sound.

I was wondering if I downloaded a ROM for needrom and used SP flashtool - would this recover my phone? I think it is the Asian version as I bought it in March 15 and the EU versions came out later?

At the moment, I can do nothing with it! Please advise and thanks.

Ad

Guest KonstaT

Hello,

I am a real newbie to all of this. Can anyone help me at all?

I updated my ZTE Blade S6 with what I thought was the latest software version.

I updated via SD card and all seemed well until a quarter way through the update stopped and my phone went off and I cannot turn it back on again with the hard reset mode. if i connect a usb to the phone, the light comes on. If I connect to the PC, i do hear a connection sound.

I was wondering if I downloaded a ROM for needrom and used SP flashtool - would this recover my phone? I think it is the Asian version as I bought it in March 15 and the EU versions came out later?

At the moment, I can do nothing with it! Please advise and thanks.

Ad

You can't flash EU firmware to AS device or vice versa. It's known to permanently brick your device (something with bootloader most likely). It's really a massive fail from ZTE that the stock recovery even allows you to do that (there could be a simple assert that would prevent this)! If you've done this, I'd just return the device under warranty - it's their fault really.

SP flash tool is for MediaTek devices (this has Qualcomm chipset) and you just can't go flashing random ROMs for some completely random device anyway. That's not how Android works. Stock firmware packages are available at ZTE support site.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Emre_Altunlu

Sorry if this is off topic but i need to know how to install TWRP for Turkcell t60 i looked everywhere but cant find how to install it for this device

Guest KonstaT

Sorry if this is off topic but i need to know how to install TWRP for Turkcell t60 i looked everywhere but cant find how to install it for this device

You can't because there's no TWRP image available for Turkcell T60 AFAIK (installation procedure itself would be pretty much the same). Your device is not any Blade S6 variant so you most definitely should not try to flash any images found on this thread. I'm not sure if it's worth my time to make a T60 TWRP image, at least I'd need some reliable tester who knows his/her way around terminal (need some info pulled from the device first).

Guest Emre_Altunlu

You can't because there's no TWRP image available for Turkcell T60 AFAIK (installation procedure itself would be pretty much the same). Your device is not any Blade S6 variant so you most definitely should not try to flash any images found on this thread. I'm not sure if it's worth my time to make a T60 TWRP image, at least I'd need some reliable tester who knows his/her way around terminal (need some info pulled from the device first).

OK thanks for the fast reply , is there any guide for me to make it my self? i know my way around linux.

Guest KonstaT

OK thanks for the fast reply , is there any guide for me to make it my self? i know my way around linux.

There's a generic how to compile TWRP guide but I'm not sure if it's much of a help. Better have a look at the sources I've linked in the first post. You likely only need to change few things from that. Rename p839f30->p839t60, use prebuilt kernel/dt.img extracted from T60 stock firmware, check that everything in fstab is right for your device - that should be pretty much it.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest Emre_Altunlu

There's a generic how to compile TWRP guide but I'm not sure if it's much of a help. Better have a look at the sources I've linked in the first post. You likely only need to change few things from that. Rename p839f30->p839t60, use prebuilt kernel/dt.img extracted from T60 stock firmware, check that everything in fstab is right for your device - that should be pretty much it.

Ok thank you very much

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Juan Lennon

Hi! I know this is off topic but i'm quite the noob when it comes to this stuff. In the terminal you are supposed to write the commands down below (su first):

Are they two different commands?

if=/sdcard/recovery-twrp2870-p839f30.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery

Guest KonstaT

Hi! I know this is off topic but i'm quite the noob when it comes to this stuff. In the terminal you are supposed to write the commands down below (su first):

Are they two different commands?

if=/sdcard/recovery-twrp2870-p839f30.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery

Hmm, you're even missing the 'dd' which is the actual command. It's a one line, which means 'dumpdata inputfile=recoveryimage outputfile=recoverypartition' in more human readable form. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT

Hello guys. Does anyone know if this works with the Blade S6 Plus? Or is it just the normal S6? Thanks!

What's the difference between S6 and S6 Plus? Just the display size (5" vs. 5,5") or something else? I haven't downloaded any S6 Plus stock ROMs so I don't know exactly how different it is. Depending on the partition layout and if they share the same kernel, it might work - or it might not. Wouldn't try it if it was my device, though. Should be easy enough to port but it's not worth my time to do this to every possible variant (there's already quite a few) especially when I can't test any of this myself.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT

I've built TWRP test images for Turkcell T60 (P839T60) and ZTE Blade S6 Plus (P839F50). I'll PM links if someone wants to test.

Edit. And apparently no one is interested in testing. I'll just leave them here then. Try at your own risk and don't forget to report back how it went.

recovery-twrp2870-p839t60.img (Turkcell T60)
http://www.mediafire.com/?aafcpgaop9r15aj
md5:a6232dfcc30604f9425a9a21af994f43

recovery-twrp2870-p839f50.img (Blade S6 Plus)
http://www.mediafire.com/?r77ch7ah7h69c4d
md5:e86c129e607bd1fabb760aeab5736780

Edited by KonstaT

• 2 months later...
Guest KonstaT
26 minutes ago, cd492 said:

Any news about a custom rom in progress?

Are you asking me? I don't have a device so there's nothing I can do.

There's a CM12.1 build available at XDA but I have no idea how usable it is as a daily driver. There was also another earlier CM build by some Russian guy who asked money for it. You needed to pay for 'premium' version if you wanted a build with basic things like wifi working. What an absolute disgrace!

• 1 month later...
Guest Yılmaz
On 27.11.2015 at 0:29 AM, KonstaT said:

I've built TWRP test images for Turkcell T60 (P839T60) and ZTE Blade S6 Plus (P839F50). I'll PM links if someone wants to test.

Edit. And apparently no one is interested in testing. I'll just leave them here then. Try at your own risk and don't forget to report back how it went.

I'm trying on my phone (Turkcell T60)

Guest Yılmaz
11 minutes ago, Yılmaz said:

E: failed to verify whole-file signature

E: signature verification failed

İnstallation aborted.

Guest KonstaT
9 hours ago, Yılmaz said:

9 hours ago, Yılmaz said:

E: failed to verify whole-file signature

E: signature verification failed

İnstallation aborted.

Hmm, not sure what you're actually trying to do. You need to have unlocked/unlockable bootloader to use fastboot to boot/flash the recovery image (does Turkcell T60 have unlocked bootloader?). Otherwise you need to first gain root access in Android and use dd command in the first post to write the recovery image to recovery partition.

Guest iotola
On 27/11/2015 at 10:29 PM, KonstaT said:

Hello KonstaT

I am willing to try this TWRP on a Blade S6 plus, I am in the UK. 

I currently have stock everything, so by the sound of it probably got a locked boot loader. I think from reading this thread that the locked boot loader will not be an issue? (I just wanted to confirm this)

If the recovery fails how do I go about replacing a stock recovery? The S6 plus is not even listed under support on the ZTE website in the UK,  so I have downloaded the latest Spanish version so I assume there must be a recovery located within the zip file.

Is it possible to copy the recovery before trying TWRP using the following command?

dd  if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/original_recovery.img

so that I can restore it if needed? ( I have actually executed this command and got a file of 33554432 bytes which is somewhat larger than your own TWRP recovery.)

I just want to get all this straight in my head first.

Thanks,

Iotola.

Edited by iotola
corrected error

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, iotola said:

Hello KonstaT

I am willing to try this TWRP on a Blade S6 plus, I am in the UK. 

I currently have stock everything, so by the sound of it probably got a locked boot loader. I think from reading this thread that the locked boot loader will not be an issue? (I just wanted to confirm this)

If the recovery fails how do I go about replacing a stock recovery? The S6 plus is not even listed under support on the ZTE website in the UK,  so I have downloaded the latest Spanish version so I assume there must be a recovery located within the zip file.

Is it possible to copy the recovery before trying TWRP using the following command?

dd  if=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/original_recovery.img

so that I can restore it if needed? ( I have actually executed this command and got a file of 33554432 bytes which is somewhat larger than your own TWRP recovery.)

I just want to get all this straight in my head first.

Thanks,

Iotola.

'Locked' bootloader should not be an issue (at least it isn't on Blade S6/Vodafone Smart Ultra 6). It doesn't actually verify boot/recovery images so you can boot custom kernels and recoveries. You just won't be able to use fastboot like you normally would on other Android devices (also system write protection on Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 is likely implemented on bootloader level).

Yes, you can dump the recovery partition with that command. You can restore that image, too. It's actually a raw copy of the whole recovery partition (32mb) so it's bigger than the recovery image itself. You can also check /system/bin/install-recovery.sh where you can find exact bytesize and sha1sum for your recovery image (you can cut your recovery dump to that size and check sha1sum it matches).

You can also create recovery image with applypatch tool (e.g. on your device) and few files (boot.img [or dump of boot partition], /system/bin/install-recovery.sh, /system/etc/recovery-resource.dat, and /system/recovery-from-boot.p).

Guest iotola

Hello KonstaT,

It looks like it is working:

Booted into TWRP then made a backup of the system to the external SDCARD.

Rebooted back to android.

Rebooted back into TWRP. That is about all I have tried so far.

I plan at looking at repartitioning. I noticed that you have a number of versions for S6 in regards the internal/external SD card.  This S6 plus version seems to allow you to select both the internal and external sdcard, so as long as I stick with the external SD option do you think this work with partitioning?

I will keep you updated if I find out anything else.

Thanks,

Iotola

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, iotola said:

Hello KonstaT,

It looks like it is working:

Booted into TWRP then made a backup of the system to the external SDCARD.

Rebooted back to android.

Rebooted back into TWRP. That is about all I have tried so far.

I plan at looking at repartitioning. I noticed that you have a number of versions for S6 in regards the internal/external SD card.  This S6 plus version seems to allow you to select both the internal and external sdcard, so as long as I stick with the external SD option do you think this work with partitioning?

I will keep you updated if I find out anything else.

Thanks,

Iotola

Good to hear. :) I'll add the Blade S6 Plus version to the first post.

Blade S6 actually comes with different partition layout in different regions. Blade S6 Plus only comes with physical internal sdcard partition afaik. I don't what your plans are with repartitioning and how you're going to achieve it (merging fat partition into userdata might be possible if they're contiguous). External sdcard should work in TWRP but I don't know how it will handle the missing internal sdcard partition after that. You're in for way more trouble on the Android side, though. You'd have to modify both kernel ramdisk and Android framework to handle a change from physical partition to emulated sdcard (see configuration examples).

BTW, could you upload you stock recovery dump and /system/bin/install-recovery.sh somewhere?

Edited by KonstaT