The MoDaCo and Android Magazine 'OnePlus 2' Q&A

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

This is the OnePlus 2. The £239 / £289 '2016 flagship killer' (we'll be the judge of that) has now arrived in the MoDaCo office and we'll be putting it through it's paces ahead of a full review in Android Magazine and on Little Green Robot (as well as some special features on MoDaCo), but now is your chance to ask any questions you have now we have the device in hand. 

How's the fingerprint reader? Does the standstone finish feel nice? Is it huge? How is OxygenOS?

I know you've got questions. Fire away! 

EDIT: The comments thread can also be accessed in this topic if you are having issues!

oneplustwobox.thumb.png.daded4a9783d5353

View full item

Guest PaulOBrien

What's it missing? ie. What's the catch?

No NFC I guess and 'only' a FHD screen (not that it matters). How good the Snapdragon 810 is remains to be seen of course, but there's no glaring issues imho.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

How does the priority switch feel? Is it as easy to handle as the iPhone mute switch?

Really nice! It's switches top to bottom in 3 positions rather than front to back (which is how the iPhone does it IIRC?) but it feels great.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Is the fingerprint reader also the home button? If so, is it 'clicky' (a la Samsung) or capacitive? 

It is the home button yes, but no it's not clicky. Interestingly, you can just rest your finger on it to wake the device straight from sleep.

P

Guest cros13

Are there capacitive touch buttons either side of the home?

Are they hard coded to back & menu or can they have another purpose?

Are there any programmable combinations of home button taps beyond the double tap?

Guest injectx

Really nice! It's switches top to bottom in 3 positions rather than front to back (which is how the iPhone does it IIRC?) but it feels great.

P

Thanks! What are your first thoughts on the camera?

Guest Neil Gilroy

Your thoughts on the speaker volume and quality would be good! How does it compare to other modern devices? I like to listen to podcasts via speaker. 

Guest PaulOBrien

Are there capacitive touch buttons either side of the home?

Are they hard coded to back & menu or can they have another purpose?

Are there any programmable combinations of home button taps beyond the double tap?

There are capacitive buttons, they can be disabled or swapped, you could easily remap them using the All in One Gestures app from the Play Store.

You can change what the home button does on long press or double tap.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Thanks! What are your first thoughts on the camera?

I've literally just snapped a few pics and it seems pretty quick and nice, maybe not quite as fast as my G4. HDR seems to be a manual selection rather than automatic which is a bit odd.

I should point out i'm about to OTA to a new release...

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Your thoughts on the speaker volume and quality would be good! How does it compare to other modern devices? I like to listen to podcasts via speaker. 

I'll try out the speaker and let you know!

P

Guest pelipost

what networks can I use it on - i am on orange - rebranded but not I think quite the same as EE. Does it come with a plug or do I have to plug the usb-c into something else to charge it?

Guest dmac2007

Hey Paul,
I'm still unsure about the 5.5 screen for me. It's the only thing. I had 4.7" M7 and 5" M8. 
Any chance you can do a comparison photo with a few 5" devices (side by side)? Just to get a feel.
Is OxygenOS like CM? Which do you prefer?

Thanks,
Darren.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.