New update Sept 15

Guest Flashingblade

Guest George Styles

Actually, looking at this, i would guess that the 2 calls to smetrics.tesco.com are just tracking, and that the call to

https://device.mobile.tesco.com/ota/rel.android-build.20150529.110309

is the actual one that checks for an update. This doesnt seem to have any kind of serial no. etc in it, so im guessing that Tesco are doing the staged release either on a first-come-first-served basis (most likely IMO), or based on IP address.

Ive tried the call from several IP addresses I have access to, and they are all coming back with

{"status":"OK","update":null}

If anyone here wants to try that URL in a browser (using a different net connection to the one thats failing to update obviously) we can test to see if they are doing it based on IP address, but i suspect we will all get the update:null back :(

Oh well! at least ive learnt its possible to intercept and log stuff my tablet is doing :)

George

i cant install any update, due to the fact that i removed a few of the tesco apps. 

It gets stuck at "install books.apk" or something like that. I assume there isnt a fix for this :(

Guest dennissingh99

i cant install any update, due to the fact that i removed a few of the tesco apps. 

It gets stuck at "install books.apk" or something like that. I assume there isnt a fix for this :(

If you can find the zip file for the update, then you can modify its update script to not check for those apps and then flash that zip file using the tethered recovery.

I've done this meny times and so can confirm that it works

Edited by dennissingh99

Please see my answer in your other specific thread.

I'm not sure about the update mechanism, as I tried that URL with old build versions, so I imagine either the update server is offline currently or there is extra checks made.

Guest dennissingh99

BTW: after the update, *EVERYTHING* is currently force closing. Wiping caches and cache partition didn't solve it, so time for a factory reset!

I think that would be normal because of the new engine in lollipop

Guest elephantsoup

Just spoke to tesco tech support re: the update and got a straight forward enough answer "We are in the process of testing it with a small amount of users, to determine if there are any issues.  Once we are aware that is is not going to cause many issues we will launch it. "

Edited by elephantsoup

Guest hudl2student

Just thinking out loud here, but can we use CaptainMidnight's method to clone an updated system partitiion?

I imagine that would be possible, but also imagine that would only be of use when restoring back to the exact same device the clone is created from - (copying the partition to another device running an older rom version I imagine the partition layout and sizes would be different, along with other different dependencies/signatures etc, which would most likely conflict and result in an unbootable or bricked device).

I'm not sure however if a full system nandroid backup image made with tethered CWM/TWRP might then be able to be flashed to other devices (similar to the way in which Paul's pre-rooted flash images are made?).

Don't take my word for it though as I've yet to try/prove either of the above methods myself! In any case I'm sure CaptainMidnight will chime in and either confirm or deny the above thinking,

Yeah, I think I'm going to leave well alone until a non-test build drops.  There's a possibility there might be telemetry stuff in the one that's gone out, so I'm not going to mess about with my other half's tablet.

I will not do a 1:1 nandroid copy onto my tablet, I will not do a 1:1 nandroid copy onto my tablet, I will not do a 1:1 nandroid copy onto my tablet, I will not do a 1:1 nandroid copy onto my tablet, I will not do a 1:1 nandroid copy onto my tablet, I will not do a 1:1 nandroid copy onto my tablet, I will not do a 1:1 nandroid copy onto my tablet...

Just thinking out loud here, but can we use CaptainMidnight's method to clone an updated system partitiion?

I would suggest you do not attempt to use that method here as I would image the upgrade to 5.1 will change much more on your hudl2 than just the system partition.

Use the method for same main versions only i.e. 4.4 to 4.4, or 5.1 to 5.1 not cross versions. I haven't got the update to 5.1 yet so can't comment on the validity of our current versions of TWRP or CWM either, although I would suspect they will be compatible.

Edited by Guest

Guest dennissingh99

Hey come on, play the game - we haven't even fully got 5.1 yet ...............

I was just trying to take my mind of our Android L 5.1 update because I am so hyped right now and still have seen no sights of the update. Also accidently reset the hudl 2 the other day when Tesco had shut down their servers thinking the problems was with my device. Now I'm probably even more far behind in the queue!!!

Guest Barneyabz

Got mine last night.  Checked cache folder before applying it and nothing there.  I'm not rooted so that's probably why I couldn't see it.   Anyway after applying it i had some problems with most apps crashing.  Shutting down and restarting didn't fix it and neither did clearing the cache. Was about to do a full reset when thought I would check the apps in the  Google play store and there were a bunch of app updates.  Applied those and all working OK.  Didn't have to do a reset.  Not sure which app update resolved the issue.  One update was for the android system Web view,  maybe that resolved the issue. 

Probably "all of the above" sorted it. The reason that most apps need to be updated when moving to Lollipop is because there was a major change in the java runtime used by Android. Moving from KitKat to Lollipop changes the runtime from Dalvik to ART (Android RunTime funnily enough!) by default...

Guest dennissingh99

Probably "all of the above" sorted it. The reason that most apps need to be updated when moving to Lollipop is because there was a major change in the java runtime used by Android. Moving from KitKat to Lollipop changes the runtime from Dalvik to ART (Android RunTime funnily enough!) by default...

How ccome we cannot change this on our hudls running 4.4 inside the developer options live many other devices???

Probably Tesco removed the option for simplicity and to be honest, when I had KitKat running on my Nexus 5, changing to ART caused all sorts of problems with existing installed apps that, at the time, couldn't be resolved... Android L seems to get round it somehow whilst keeping to the change of the default to ART...