New update Sept 15

Guest Flashingblade

Guest Lee Hiachi

I rooted my Hudl before the update, which went fine but it then removed my root. Now when I try the same method, I get " oem command not permitted " and then the root fails. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Guest Sparkey159

I rooted my Hudl before the update, which went fine but it then removed my root. Now when I try the same method, I get " oem command not permitted " and then the root fails. Does anyone know how to fix this?

The tethered recovery root method doesn't work on the Lollipop update, guess we'll just have to wait till someone releases a new method.

Guest thefunkygibbon

Pretty annoyed that they chose to force encryption on us by default.   The choice to encrypt should be mine and mine alone.  Encryption gimps the speed of storage read/write and it also forces you to use a password/passcode to unlock the device/ disables swipe unlock if you use that.  

Given that I store nothing of value on the tablet and children regularly use the tablet (more so than me)  i'd rather just have the ease of use (not having a password) and performance please. thanks. 

disappointing, Tesco.  Very disappointing.   really REALLY hoping that we somehow get further with unlocking the bootloader on this new update so that we can flash CM or somesuch ROM. 

after using it for a few hours, its clear that performance has taken a large hit when there is any kind of storage read/write activity.  shame.

Guest DynaMight

Can anyone who hasn't updated yet and has root please help me. I need the file 'debuggerd' in system/bin please. Mines been changed by stick mount but I can't update unless that file is stock.

Guest Steve1953

Encryption gimps the speed of storage read/write and it also forces you to use a password/passcode to unlock the device/ disables swipe unlock if you use that.  

I can still specify Screen Lock: None - is that what you want ?

Edited by Steve1953

Guest George Styles

Mine seems to be encrypted, and i cant quickly find a way to have it not encrypted... however i still have swipe to unlock and no unlock code needed, so barring the slowdown on I/O its not a problem (but not really an advantage either since i dont have / want a lock code on it)

Guest speakeasy

Mine seems to be encrypted, and i cant quickly find a way to have it not encrypted... however i still have swipe to unlock and no unlock code needed, so barring the slowdown on I/O its not a problem (but not really an advantage either since i dont have / want a lock code on it)

Pretty sure you need to do a factory reset to decrypt :-(

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-disable-encryption-android-lollipop

Anyway, about a new root method . . .  Won't some nice person help me (and hundreds of others)?!

Guest DynaMight

Pretty sure you need to do a factory reset to decrypt :-(

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-disable-encryption-android-lollipop

Anyway, about a new root method . . .  Won't some nice person help me (and hundreds of others)?!

You'll also need a boot.Img that supports no force encryption. To be honest I didnt notice a massive improvement with no encryption on my Nexus 6 but it's a fast phone to start with so results on other chipsets may differ 

Guest speakeasy

Well, I updated to Lollipop this morning and my battery life has been extended hugely. Unfortunately, that's because Angry Birds 2 just gives a black screen.

Just uninstall / reinstall Angry Birds and all should be fine.

Edited by speakeasy
Edit

installed lollipop yesterday. after about 8 reboots it's admitted that all my apps except viewranger are installed (originally had about 20 icons greyed out). keeps complaining about lack of memory. shows very little free memory in storage then does all its sums and realises I have more than it thought. can't update all the apps from Google play even though I've freed up enough space for some more of them. grr.

My Hudl2 keeps swapping between an integrity and an authenticity check for the last hour and half I think. That's not right surely? This is after the 1GB download.

UPDATE: No, its ok. The restart option finally turned up. Its doing its thing.

Edited by Jabbitt

Guest escherbach

Would people like the files to root there hudl2 with lollipop as I will upload if people want it 

That would be great, how are you getting on with the upload?

Can we do any of  the tethered boot methods on Lollipop Hudl 2? (The generic intel methods were discovered to work recently by Paul on older android versions of Hudl 2)

Edited by escherbach
correction

Guest dennissingh99

I think it could work if you use the most recent zip from the link provided below. I haven't checked because my PC doesn't work yet but could someone please test it. I can assure you that if nothing goes right then nothing will go wrong either.

Link for the zip : https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU

PS. This needs to be flashed using the tethered recovery

Guest popoyaya

I think it could work if you use the most recent zip from the link provided below. I haven't checked because my PC doesn't work yet but could someone please test it. I can assure you that if nothing goes right then nothing will go wrong either.

Link for the zip : https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU

PS. This needs to be flashed using the tethered recovery

The problem is you can't even get into tethered recovery. It just boots to standard recovery.

Edited by popoyaya

That would be great, how are you getting on with the upload?

Can we do any of  the tethered boot methods on Lollipop Hudl 2? (The generic intel methods were discovered to work recently by Paul on older android versions of Hudl 2)

Tethered boot/recovery isn't currently working on hudl2 with lollipop due to oem commands not being permitted from memory when I tried the other day.

"RESULT: FAIL(OEM command not permitted)"

Edited by Guest

Guest dennissingh99
Tethered boot/recovery isn't currently working on hudl2 with lollipop due to oem commands not being permitted from memory when I tried the other day.

"RESULT: FAIL(OEM command not permitted)"

Probably because of the encryption. I don't think that can be solved unless... Have you tried any of the other T options? T1 or T2

Guest thefunkygibbon

i've no idea how you lot are turning off the password unlock aspect.  As that COMPLETELY negates the point in encryption! lol.   

FWIW i have pattern pin and password as options, the swipe one is greyed out saying that its disabled by administrator, encryption policy or credential storage. And to be fair this has always been the way on every Android device I have ever had that I have encrypted.... it is a no-brainer (see my first sentence).

And to remove encryption you have to basically factory reset (thats the way it has always been on Android)  Although I've no idea if the hudl will force you to re-encrypt it after it has done that.  I'm assuming it will but i am not in a position to be able to test that.

Battery life.... well i had it full when i left the house yesterday afternoon.  I came to try to use it a few hours ago and it was completely dead.....nothing was running, screen was off.   Pretty disappointed with that too.  Luckily its mainly for the kids and not my daily driver.

Lollipop is supposed to have slightly better battery management (although nowhere near as good as Marshmallow is supposed to have, but i guess the likelihood of us ever having that on our Hudls is pretty non-existant.  Unless we unlock the bootloader so we can flash custom roms anyway)