Slight screen change between handsets

Guest EazyDuz

Guest EazyDuz

Weird one, i may have had a faulty unit.

Ordered a SU6 from Amazon. Taking it back as there are slight dark blotches all down the left hand side of the screen, very noticeable on a light background particularly when scrolling

So i got another one direct from Voda. Build number, software version etc all identical but the Voda model has a slightly dimmer screen, more 'cream' coloured when put up against the Amazon model. Both on full brightness, all settings identical. The blue buttons at the bottom are also very slightly brighter on the Amazon handset. Voda handset doesnt have this weird blotch issue down the side though.

I swapped the phone with another one from Vodafone thinking it was a screen problem, but the second one is slightly dimmer just like the first. 

I'm assuming ZTE had made a slight change to the screen and how much power the screen is given, perhaps to correct the blotchy issue or to improve battery life.

Here is a pic, not great quality but you can see the difference in brightness, phone on the right is the Voda model:

eHfnfEl.jpg?1

Guest ohyesman

That is strange.. My SU6 Is direct from Vodafone and the Mrs's decided she wanted one too and ordered white/silver one from Amazon and the differences are exactly the same as you are experiencing.

The screen is brighter/white and the blue touch buttons are massively brighter like yours too. I've also noticed the vibration seems stronger on the one from Amazon too. 

I guess the differences are due to a newer production run or the phones being made in different factories???

Edit - I would guess the newer run would be from Amazon not Vodafone direct

Edited by ohyesman

Guest ohyesman

All subjective mate, mine is more like the one on left, white and bright not creamy but no blotches but when compared to the Mrs's phone its more like the one on right in the differences (but still not creamy obviously)

Guest BlueMoonRising

Nah, not new devices.. I bought my su6 2 months ago and my screen its = to one on the left.. A nice and clean brightness.

You can't judge brightness by comparing a photo on you monitor with the phone in your hand, there's far too many variables. That said I turned mine up to max and it's a brilliant white (far too brilliant in fact, I had to turn it down again). Mine came from Amazon just 9 days ago if that's even pertinent.

Guest KonstaT

It's also possible your devices can have different display panels. Kernel support three different 1080p panels (for Vodafone Smart Ultra 6) and four different 720p panels (for Turkcell T60). Usually early engineering samples can have slightly different hardware than production units.

Do

cat /proc/cmdline

in adb shell/Terminal emulator and see what it says for mdss_mdp.panel.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest LiNe171

You can't judge brightness by comparing a photo on you monitor with the phone in your hand, there's far too many variables. That said I turned mine up to max and it's a brilliant white (far too brilliant in fact, I had to turn it down again). Mine came from Amazon just 9 days ago if that's even pertinent.

Too brilliant.. Made me cry for a bit.. xD

Guest EazyDuz

For the record i'm keeping the dimmer screened phone since the one before it from Voda was the same, and they will think i'm an idiot if i swap it a third time for what isnt a good enough reason. Plus i've sent the brighter one back so i cant show the 'issue' side by side to the Voda employee. 

Seems like a good time to bring up the poor customer service in my local Voda store. One female employee could see the difference and suggested updating it to see if it helps. I did in store and it was the same. Then a more 'experienced' male employee came over and tried to convince me the screens are the same. He didnt want to exchange it but when i convinced him to (since he has to), he said he only has a contract SU6 in stock so he cant exchange it.

I believed him and came back a couple days later after being informed they have more stock in. Yet again they only had contract phones but a 3rd employee who i think had been there a long time, just got back from holiday, said exchanging for a contract phone is perfectly fine and she did so without even checking the screen of the phone i was swapping. She then asked which employee told me it cant be done, so i told her lol.

Another reason i'm keeping it is because i put it up against my Moto G and with both phones on full brightness, the SU6 was still brighter, both the SU6 and Moto G have that slight 'creamy' tint (lack of a better word), the same kind of tint that the Chromebook im using right now has.

I do prefer the brighter model though to be honest, but the weird blotchiness (similar to poor screen uniformity on LCD tv's) was more annoying than a dimmer screen

Guest Lukas4477

I have the black one and my missus has the white one, both from voda. 

The black ones screen is more creamy than the white and the blue buttons are dimmer on the black. Very strange!

• 1 month later...
Guest miguelrocha1987

Hi guys....

I had the oportunity of having 4 different smart ultras plus my girlfriend hás one and i tested and compared about 6 more to the  ones i had at the moment in stores....

I can without a doubt confirm that displays quality varies a lot on the smart ultra 6.

First most of all have pink or yellow tints. This tint is no problem when its all over but i had onr smart ultra 6 that on the left bottom corner was clearly pinker and this was super noticeable so i exchanged that unit in a heartbeat. The other units i exchanged due to more functional problems and weird bugs.

Usually, like the majority of people i prefer cooler and brighter screens and believe me that i tried to get a bright white one but in the end i ended up getting a sligtly creamy and more yellowish on the grays one.

On one hand i am pissed off because i didnt want to keep the creamy unit i have right noe, but on the other hand i also tried my uni against others that had cooler whites and grayer grays but when analysing some pictures on both i reached the conclusion that brightet was not necessarilly better... Usually brighter and cooler means more vibrant colors and yes i found some su6s that were super bright and vivid but i also saw some super bright units having worse contrast and less vivid color reproduction and detail than mine.

So basically what i mean is i kept the slightly cramier one because unlike all the others i had this one is working perfectly. I may have had others with better whites and more vibrant colours but in the its just not worth getting into the exchange train because as i said, in some cases brighter is better and on others not so much.

Sidenote...

The su6 has a pretty good screen anf if u have nothing to compare it suits u perfectly. But for example if u put a su6 next to a first gen moto g you can clearly see that the contrast capability of the su6 display is not that great...

Edited by miguelrocha1987