Accessory Review: Aukey QuickChargers

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Regular MoDaCo readers will know that we've been big fans of Anker accessories in the past, but just lately another brand has been first to market with particularly interesting products - Aukey. We originally wrote about their 10000mAh metal Quick Charge 2.0 compatible battery bank and they've since filled out the range with a number of other QC2.0 compatible chargers. We've been trying them out!

Aukey kindly sent us their new 10000mAh dual port battery pack, the 5 port desktop charging station and the 3 port charging plug, all of which have fully certified QuickCharge 2.0 support of course, right up to the 12V / 1.5A specification.

aukeyopen2.thumb.jpg.a85937c882bd3390e0b

Let's look at the battery pack first.

Made of tough black plastic, the pack is noticeably lighter than its metal sibling. On the top of the device you'll find the Aukey logo, which doubles up as an indicator of the charge left in the device and the current charging status when plugged in. It might take a little while to learn what the colours mean - a red light indicate 0-20% charge remaining, a green light 20-60% charge remaining and a white light that the pack is 80-100% charged. One thing I like about this battery pack is that it doesn't only support quick charge output, it also supports quick charge input - I plugged it into a quick charge charger and impressively it pulled the full 12V / 1.5A, something i've actually not seen any device do before, so this will help replenish the pack quickly when needed. Very nice.

On the side of the pack is the button to show the status, turn on the pack or, with a long press, turn on the white LED on the end of the device. I know there's a trend towards battery packs also functioning as torches, but i'm not entirely sure how useful that is in reality. The option is there though! The battery pack itself has 2 ports, one orange port which is the QC2.0 port and a regular port with a 5V / 2A output. Both can be used simultaneously. We plugged our LG G4 into the pack to test the functionality and it pulled the customary 9V (not many phones seem to support the 12V mode yet). I can see myself using this pack more than the metal model because it's lighter, a more convenient shape, has 2 ports and i'll be less concerned about it scratching things in my bag! A short microUSB cable is included.

packend.thumb.jpg.d15007d174e808d8521be5 packgreen.thumb.jpg.d8f1cb5bf222406e2b54

While the battery pack looks after your charging needs on the go, the 5 port desktop charging station and the 3 port charging plug have you covered while you're at home. Both combine a QC2.0 port with 4 / 2 regular 5V / 2A ports, which I quite like - I try to avoid quick-charging my device when I don't need to (for no other reason than I figure slow charging must be better for the battery?), so I find it reassuring to have the choice.

5portend.thumb.jpg.5bb492edfca8e20812cd4

The advantage of the 5 port is of course raw capacity, while the 3 port majors on convenience and compactness as everything is built into the plug itself. Both devices work exactly as i'd expect, reading well on my meter and both include one microUSB to USB cable (the 5 port of course includes the mains cable too).

There's a nice consistency between the products as you can see, with the QC2.0 port always being coloured orange to avoid confusion (this also extends to Aukey's car charging product). 

3porttop.thumb.jpg.08864120915ae0ca65a79

We're at the point now where QC2.0 chargers are plentiful and good value. With the battery life of devices themselves arguably getting worse rather than better, this is definitely a good thing.

The full range of Aukey products is available to view on the Aukey website and to purchase from Amazon UK.

View full item

Guest T39andcounting

How portable is the plug? I can't tell from the photos if the plug 'prongs' fold down for storage, or are they permanently sticking out? I'd like something like this to drop into my laptop bag, that takes up minimal space. 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kitenski

Just looking at these now, I'm leaning towards the higher capacity one, any reason NOT to get it apart from the fact it has no quick charge support?

Choice of two

20,000 Mah http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aukey-20000mAh-Portable-External-Motorola/dp/B00SR5N5HU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444039283&sr=8-2&keywords=aukey

10,000 Mah http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012S0JN8O/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B012S0JN8O&linkCode=as2&tag=mo06-21

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.