Of course the Z5 Premium doesn't run in 4K all the time...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

When the Z5 Premium was announced and afterwards in our recent podcast, we mused about how much of a strain on the humble Snapdragon 810 a 4K display would place, not to mention the additional load on the battery. It turns out that the Z5 Premium doesn't appear to run in 4K mode all the time, which makes a lot of sense. GSMArena have been investigating the Z5 Premium in microscopic (literally) detail and have some answers.

In the ROM modding community, there are already a considerable number of people that 'downgrade' the software settings for their screen. Have a QHD screened device? Run it in 1080P and see an immediate performance and battery improvement. The same applies to 720P screens too (although depending on the screen size, the downgrade may be more visible). The reality is, unless you have the screen RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES for an application such as VR (or you're superhuman), the difference between QHD and 4K just isn't going to be visible.

GSMArena have been checking out the fantastic quality of the screen under the microscope (it's real folks!) but also noting that Sony's software itself is screenshotting at 1920x1080 (full HD) and benchmark and analysis tools are also reporting this resolution. It's interesting to note that it's FHD and not QHD downscaling, but i'm most interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Is Sony cheating customers by not running at 4K? Does it make perfect sense? What do you think?

Of course, things may change between now and release, but I suspect this is Sony's strategy.

(image courtesy of GSMArena)

z5pscreen.thumb.jpg.0e22b2b28ba62c01ed63

View full item

The all debat about 4k screen on smartphone is the same we had with QHD screen. People were talking about seeing pixel or not seeing pixel, than it was useless on a phone bla bla bla. I think in the end it all comes down to this: a QHD screen is nicer to look at than a full hd screen! So in the all 4k debat, I won't trust things I read and wait until I see one to judge if I see or not a difference with the QHD. If sony is not running 4K resolution at full time, it is just not a good thing for the consumer or for Sony. Because with that question comes another question, when does it run 4k and when does it run 1080p? and why at this moment is it running 4K or full HD. If I buy a 4K screen personnaly I want it 4K at all times, now if they can't deliver a phone with a 4k screen than won't have a decent battery life or start heating constantly they should not have done it.

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

4k is just another money making / marketing ploy / dick measuring contest. it serves no purpose in a phone, nor a tv really. the human eye can't even distinguish beyond 300PPI so the Sony's 806PPI is just pointless. people who think the screens look better are generally just noticing the better quality of the panel in general, resolutions doesn't really come into it. this is just like camera manufacturers and the "megapixel war".

with that in mind, whilst i approve of the 1080p downscaling, i'd be pretty annoyed that my "all singing all dancing top of the range 4k phone" wasn't actually "doing" 4k, especially considering the price difference vs the std, 1080p Z5... (not that i'd be stupid enough to buy one in the first place ofc!). however, another side of me would be happy that they're trying to mitigate performance and battery issues - but at the same time, those issues wouldn't even be a factor were it not for the stupidly ott screen! wish LG did downscaling on the G4... (in the shipped roms).

Edited by Alex (nedge2k)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.