Xiaomi announce the Snapdragon 808 powered Mi 4c

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Xiaomi have announced the Mi 4c, a 5", Snapdragon 808 (64-bit, 6 core) powered device, available in 16GB/2GB and 32GB/3GB versions priced at just 1299 CNY (~£130) and 1499 CNY (~£150) respectively. To look at, the phone is a spitting image of the Mi 4i that we recently reviewed (no bad thing) but under the skin there are a number of improvements, as well as that processor upgrade. Did Xiaomi ever feel more ready to bring their wares to Europe?

mi4c.thumb.png.81657d9196b63a86b4a20252b

With it's Mi 4i-a-like styling, the phone is fashioned from soft touch plastic and available in black, white, blue pink and yellow, all with a black front. On the bottom of the device there is a USB Type-C port - a first for a Xiaomi device - and although the screen remains 5", it has 'sunlight display' for better outdoor viewing and it also automatically adjusts the refresh rate as required to save power. An IR blaster sits atop the device which, from our experience with previous Xiaomi devices, should work fine with the Peel app in the UK.

A 3080mAh battery lives under the removable back cover (although the battery is fixed and there is no microSD slot) and can be topped up quickly courtesy of Quick Charge 2.0 support - I think this is the first USB Type-C device shipping with QC included (unlike the OnePlus 2). 

A 13 Megapixel Sony IMX258 / Samsung ISOCELL S5K3M2 rear camera with phase-detection auto focus and a wide angle 5 Megapixel front camera take care of imaging, with the MIUI Camera app providing beauty-shot features.

The Mi 4c will ship with MIUI 6 out of the box, with MIUI 7 available a few weeks after launch in a stable version and immediately after launch in a developer version. A number of new innovative software features are available, including the ability to tap the sides of the device ('Edge Tap') to perform certain functions, such as taking pictures plus enhanced dual SIM support. 

Of course, the 7.8mm thick, 132g (that's light!) device will only be available in China, but we will be importing one for review - stay tuned for our thoughts (we'll let you know where's best to buy). EE and Three (except 800Mhz) LTE bands are supported - Vodafone and O2 customers, you're out of luck i'm afraid.

More details (in Chinese!) can be found at the Xiaomi website and the device is available to buy from GearBest in both 16GB and 32GB versions.

View full item

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.