5.1 installed...

Guest tim_n

Turned on the tablet this morning to do my usual language learning on Duolingo whilst using my phone as a hotspot.  noticed the download symbol (I have auto updates turned off) and realised it was new 5.1 firmware.

I turned it off and let it download on the works wifi.  Took about two hours with multiple download fails (probably due to traffic)

Once it was done, it made an extra annoying startup sound.  Then stated it was updating applications, about 12 applications in it stated it was encrypting the device (not sure if previous installations do that, first time I noticed it and no option to refuse if you were wondering).  It updated a total of 16 apps.

Then another reboot, old startup sound was back.  I've restarted it with the headphones in.  It now makes it from the device AND the headphones (rather than muting it when the headphones were plugged in - I didn't think it used to play that through the headphones, just the device)

Hudl * logo came up with * flashing in and out.  Took a lifetime to get into the main screen, so much so I thought it was bricked and rebooted.

On first glance everything is same speed as before, though I've had a few odd freezes - and I've only been using it a few minutes.  Some differences/customisations it seems as I have a moto G which has 5.1, but no other tablets (like aeroplane mode being back on the power off menu)

The apps menu now seems to be white, rather than black.

At the moment, it seems "OK".  Useable at least.

This is on stock firmware, no mods etc.   Ingress still doesn't seem to work.

Edited by tim_n

Guest George Styles

I had a horrible upgrade experience... it did the update (which took forever as others have said), then it rebooted and started complaining about storage being full, and was really, really slow, with apps crashing all over the place.

I tried to clear some stuff off, but wasnt getting anywhere, so I did a hard reset (and formatted SD), then setup again

Then it failed to link to my Google account properly (couldnt access store, said I had to re-login). I went into accounts, and re-entered my google password, then all of a sudden, it started going really well.

I like the upgrade - best thing is that its got the same UI as my phone now (Lolipop) including the brightness slider on the pull down status bar.

It also seems pretty fast, but that might just be the clean start...

Anyway, massive thanks to Tesco for pushing this out - i was defo defo not expecting any kind of major upgrade for what is after all a (kick ass) budget tablet...

cheers

g

Guest Grimthorpe

This is on stock firmware, no mods etc.   Ingress still doesn't seem to work.

Does that mean you had problems with the latest version of Ingress before upgrading to 5.1?

I'm trying to work out if it is because of a change to Ingress or because of the firmware update.